Fly Fusion Forums

New Hooks

Tungsten

I think you might have more luck keeping fish on if you buy hooks with a barb and then pinching the barb down leaving a bump. Barbless hooks can fall out pretty easy. You could use 2488H hooks.

I'd like to hear what your landing ratio is like with these new hooks. Post a report after you've tried them.

• 9 months later...
I think you might have more luck keeping fish on if you buy hooks with a barb and then pinching the barb down leaving a bump. Barbless hooks can fall out pretty easy. You could use 2488H hooks.

I'd like to hear what your landing ratio is like with these new hooks. Post a report after you've tried them.

Geez its like you've done this before.

Hook to land about 25% ,thats generous.

I now use 2488H and crimp the barb down.

I have used the 2499 for a few of my flies and so far I love them.

I have found that my landing ratio has not been effected in ANY way compared to pinching the barb on a hook.

I have tied a few different patterns with them and like I said, Love them.

If I have any pics of flies tied with them, I will post them.

Rick

I guess i should add that I've only fished(tested) the 18's.My first experience was cronie fishing in deep water, lots of bites and only landed a few.Also on the Bow nymphing, same result.Nice hooks but fish don't stay on.

I did a comparison one day on the Bow, fish were hitting little green so i had one of each.The barbed hook with it squished down out fished the barbless clearly.I also made sure the barbed one passed the barbless test.

Maybe its the large gap or the point and the bump has nothing to do with it i don't no.

I guess i should add that I've only fished(tested) the 18's.My first experience was cronie fishing in deep water, lots of bites and only landed a few.Also on the Bow nymphing, same result.Nice hooks but fish don't stay on.

I did a comparison one day on the Bow, fish were hitting little green so i had one of each.The barbed hook with it squished down out fished the barbless clearly.I also made sure the barbed one passed the barbless test.

Maybe its the large gap or the point and the bump has nothing to do with it i don't no.

I have not tried the 2499 yet but have two questions for you for lakes.

1. Are you using a loop knot?

2. Do you have a tiny swivel about 18 to 24 inches above your fly?

(here in BC we cannot use droppers so that was not an option to complicate things here)

Using both these above improved both my hookups and retention using barbless hooks on size 16 to 22 chironomids last spring and was done on the recommendation from a successful chironomid fisher

I have not tried the 2499 yet but have two questions for you for lakes.

1. Are you using a loop knot?

2. Do you have a tiny swivel about 18 to 24 inches above your fly?

(here in BC we cannot use droppers so that was not an option to complicate things here)

Using both these above improved both my hookups and retention using barbless hooks on size 16 to 22 chironomids last spring and was done on the recommendation from a successful chironomid fisher

Yes on the loop knot,no on the swivel.

I would get a bite, set the hook and the fish would pop off within 2-3 seconds.If it stayed on after the 2-3 sec ,i landed the fish.So i set to hard?Or too quick maybe.

The 2499SPBL grabs and holds better than most pinched barbed hooks. As for NEBC's comment/question, I use tungsten beads, swivels, splitshot and loop knots. On "breezy" days the extra weight on the tippet can be the difference between being in the zone and not!