Fly Fusion Forums

Male Fish Vs. Female Fish

Many posts state that is a nice hen, or big male, rooster, etc. How does a person tell them apart? Is there, different colors, specific markings, shapes,etc?

Also are they really called hens and roosters like chickens?

Just curious

M

Many posts state that is a nice hen, or big male, rooster, etc. How does a person tell them apart? Is there, different colors, specific markings, shapes,etc?

Also are they really called hens and roosters like chickens?

Just curious

M

Female fish are pickier, have the best lies and the good ones rarely never fall to your first drift. If you catch one with a small red lightning bolt tattoed near its orifice - take my advice, play with it a bit...but throw it back.

Female fish are pickier, have the best lies and the good ones rarely never fall to your first drift. If you catch one with a small red lightning bolt tattoed near its orifice - take my advice, play with it a bit...but throw it back.

Too funny

I have always called them hens and bucks, as this is what is commonly used on the coast in regards to steelhead. The most obvious way to tell is the shape of the head on trout, the males have a larger jaw/head with a kype, and the females have a smaller more compact headshape. And you can also tell by how they fight, although not always, and sometimes it seems to be the opposite, but males will tend to fight with more of a bulldog technique and the females will be more arial.

I have always called them hens and bucks, as this is what is commonly used on the coast in regards to steelhead. The most obvious way to tell is the shape of the head on trout, the males have a larger jaw/head with a kype, and the females have a smaller more compact headshape. And you can also tell by how they fight, although not always, and sometimes it seems to be the opposite, but males will tend to fight with more of a bulldog technique and the females will be more arial.

Same for me..

Unlike humans, the females seem to have smaller mouths. :o

Guest girlsfishtoo

Females are harder to land :blush: and males will go after anything, :eek: just like humans :D

Ok on a more serious note, the corner of the male's jaw goes further back behind the eyes. The female's eyes are above the corner of their jaw. This is a sure way of telling male from female any time of the year.

Female

P10309731.jpg

Male

P1040115.jpg