Fly Fusion Forums

Spending Money

Have any of you received this email forward yet? I thought it was amusing, but I can't vouch for the source:

Patriotic Retirement - This Would Work:

This was an article from the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper on Sunday.

The Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?"

I thought this was the BEST idea.

I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr.President,

Patriotic retirement:

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force;

pay them $1 million a piece severance with stipulations:

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage- Housing Crisis fixed.

All this and it's still cheaper than the "bailout".

Hell i worked for weyerhaeuser for 20 years. Toolman will know all about this. Were the only plant making money ,you guys are great and the next day BAM. Did it slow me down, Ya nervous at first but hell making the fishn trips i planned when i was workin. Dont let it bother ya youll go insain. Wake up go fishn and say its great to be alive.

Well in case people are wondering, I bought a used Hyde Pro this afternoon. It's in great shape hardly ever been used. The guy had to sell it because of a medical issue. Pick it to tomorow. Let the good times roll!!!!

I'd love to take her for a spin, but I think I'll have to wait a couple of more weeks. Lousie isn't taking calls yet. Seems she is down South on vacation and has the spare key for my truck.

Enjoy! Should be a great year for some fishing in the new ride.....I'm getting antsy with mine.....really thinking about Montana this weekend. I'm not a patient person by nature....must travel to find open water.....

Enjoy! Should be a great year for some fishing in the new ride.....I'm getting antsy with mine.....really thinking about Montana this weekend. I'm not a patient person by nature....must travel to find open water.....
Thanks. Just finished putting her in the garage.

As far as the patriotic retirement goes, one problem average age of professionals in downtown Calgary is 51 years old (ie. baby boomers)....there aren't a lot of "tweeners" and a slightly elevated number of "new grads". If all those 50+ guys were to retire tomorrow, there won't be enough people in the workforce to train their replacements. Those 50+ guys will have to be brought back on as consultants or something to train all of the new guys. Even at that I've read that there will be a huge demand for people in a year or so anyway when some of these people start to retire by their own choice (possibly delayed until some of their value in their investments return).

As far as the economy, I still think no one knows for sure, which makes it hard for anyone to know how/when to start investing again. What I do know though is that I can actually stomach the idea of buying a house in Calgary, prices are lower, interest rates are lower. Will probably buy a new vehicle with the lower prices/interest rates too....all I need now is a job, ha ha...and there lies the rub!

Gil...good for you man. You get one shot at life, and I don't want to leave with any regrets. People are always telling me...save for retirement, then enjoy it...well like someone said, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow! As long as I have a roof over my head and my kids have decent clothes and food on the table, I will treat myself once in a while (again, the job thing plays into this!)

The one thing about saving for retirement and THEN enjoy it becomes troublesome on a number of fronts....I won't be able to play when I'm sixty with the same skill, ride the same bike trails, canoe with the same endurance, etc., etc., etc...... Yes, most of those things I could probably do on some level. Yet I don't really know if I would enjoy it as much as I do now because of the results I would see.

I have a young family now and I want to be able to introduce my kids to those situations so they can look back and see that their parents loved life and were willing to make decisions to in order to let them experience as many things as possible. I remember the first time my dad and grandpa took me and my brother fishing.....they didn't have a clue what they were doing but decided it would be good to let us give it a try. We caught nothing until they finally broke down and took us to a trout pond that we basically were handed fish by the guy who fed them dog food all day. The dog food "fly" really worked....it was a "dry fly"....Anyways, the time and expense in letting us experience that has brought me to love the pass time now and I can see the need to let my kids give it a try as well. If that means that I don't retire for an extra 5 years or that other things are sacrificed I am fine with that. I'd rather make the choice to do those things now than save for the possibility of doing it later.

Yes you need to save so that you are not a leech on society once your career is done, however I think you also need to make choices to spend when its right for you and your family. Some of these things are not just a reflection of the current economy but my own personal alignment of priorities. Everyone will and should have a different take on them depending on what your end result of life looks like. In the end I"m certain that providing the skills for my children to be successful is a better legacy than leaving them with an account full of money to rely on. Spend it while I'm here baby!

Ah hell, no plans for retirement here, if retirement means gettin' to do stuff you wanna do then I've been retired since I was 18. Gonna sound facetious as hell but I wanna work and fish till I'm 86 and die of heart failure when the grizzly is a foot and a half away, boots on my feet where they should be.