Fly Fusion Forums

Curse You, B String!

Hey

I've owned 5 or 6 guitars in my life. Every damn one of them had a B string that was a problem child. Why is that? Even on electrics with tunable bridges - they just don't comform. Can someone enlighten me before I convert my latest guitar into a crossbow? Thanks so much.

The B string is known for that, especially on improperly made compensated saddles. If it's the nut try coating the slot with graphite from a sharp pencil. This will reduce friction in the slot and stop tuning and bending related bust offs. Do that with all your unwound strings on acoustic guitars. If this don't help take it to a pro, it's likely a problem with string angle requiring the nut to be slightly altered. If it's the saddle, it will need to be altered, probably best to take it to a pro. A fix like this, barring the need to a new nut and or saddle with a setup ($100+), is likely a few minutes work for someone who knows what they're doing. Could also be a playing technique thing.

I screwed up so many guitars trying to make them play the way I wanted when I was young. It took me professional instruction, and professional tools, for it all to click.

C.

Hey

I've owned 5 or 6 guitars in my life. Every damn one of them had a B string that was a problem child. Why is that? Even on electrics with tunable bridges - they just don't comform. Can someone enlighten me before I convert my latest guitar into a crossbow? Thanks so much.

I do all my own setups, intonations, etc. and I've found that when I re-string a guitar I stretch the strings by lifting up on them before I tune it up. Take it to a guy if you don't do it yourself, there was a guy named Peter at Guitarworks on 16 th Ave that was pretty solid. May be a problem with the guitar as said, I noticed that the first guitars I had (electric and acoustic) played extremely hard, as the action was about an inch high. I basically taught myself, so I didn't really clue in to this. I have a few decent ones now, and its like night and day playing-wise ( though I need to play more for sure..) and in hindsight I'd have picked up some decent ones alot sooner. Perhaps that helps..

Hey

Thanks for the pointers, C. I did take one of them to a tech. Only helped a little. I was thinking more along the lines of changing to a thicker/thinner (tried this - not predictable) string or one made of a different material. What about those sour/wolf notes? Again, 9 out of 10 times, it's the damn B string.

Playing technique? Possible, I suck. But I am aware of stretching and string tensions. Maybe I can convince my wife I need a $3000 guitar.

Cheers

Hi again

I use an electronic tuner and by ear. Both work well.

Yeah, the wolf notes happen with the acoustics. Sometimes they go away with different strings.

I get sour notes on both electric and acoustic. I hear it in other guitars as well. Maybe I'm extra sensitive to those tones - dunno. It sure bugs me though.

Hi again

I use an electronic tuner and by ear. Both work well.

Yeah, the wolf notes happen with the acoustics. Sometimes they go away with different strings.

I get sour notes on both electric and acoustic. I hear it in other guitars as well. Maybe I'm extra sensitive to those tones - dunno. It sure bugs me though.

Sounds like fret buzz, the fix could be as simple as hydrating your guitar or a truss rod adjustment (loosen it a quarter turn). If this don't help it's needs a pro setup, the strings are probably too low and require a saddle work.

I prefer G strings (OK thats lame sorry)

I bought what the wife calls an "adult" guitar last year, a 12 string ovation, has built in tuner, cost a cool grand second hand, but man, it even makes a talentless hack like me sound like I know what I'm doing. I just can't get over the difference how much better it sounds than any other axe I have ever had.

I second the professional setup....I've played a few lately at the store and compared to the ones I and my brother have had setup there is no comparison. I have a Takamine that I have had setup and still to this point plays and sounds better than any of the high priced Taylors I've tried. Don't get me wrong...the Taylor's are beautiful, have a great sound and someday one will be in my home.....but the money I put into having someone adjust the neck, as well as a set of nice strings makes a huge difference. When I'm playing 3-4 times a week I also make sure to change the strings out at least every 4-5 weeks.

Now if someone could get rid of the key Eb....I'd be a happy kid.

• 2 weeks later...