Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Importing

I've recently purchased a drift boat from Hyde, based in Idaho.

I will be going to pick up my new, used, boat in the next couple weeks.

Has anyone gone through this process with Canada Customs/Border Services yada yada yada?

Any advice/suggestions would be VERY helpful!

I bought a truck back a year ago. Virtually painless. Use this website http://www.riv.ca. I bought a used Hyde here in town last summer. I'm pretty sure i have all the documentation from the original owners import process. If you want to take a look at it let me know, from what I looked at, it was real similar to the motor vehicle documents. I think the biggest thing was the trailer, not the boat.

I have imported drift boats and trailers in the past. I have had major problems with 2 of them (one a new trailer). The trailer was the big issue as the VIN's have to jive with records. One of them was a new Hyde and after I found that the VIN on the trailer didn't match any records had to go through a huge process to get things fixed so I could register it here. Getting across the border isn't an issue but registering it here is. Hyde said they have had the problems come up a few times and the Registry office knew Hyde immediately when I called the complaint/issues number. Hyde was great to deal with and helped in getting a new VIN but it was a pain is ass to deal with all the extra paperwork.

I suggest getting the VIN from them and calling the Canadian Registries to verify that it is valid before venturing north. Or have them do it. Hyde should also have all the paperwork and they can have it filled out for you. Make sure that the VIN they write on the form is exactly the same as the sticker says. If the VIN's are the same and Canadian Registries says it is a valid number all it will take is opening your wallet at the border to get it back.

Good Luck

x2 with letting Hyde do all the work and getting the paperwork to the border crossing you will be crossing at, they should have no problem doing this for you as a part of the sale. There is zero problem importing the boat as they are not a part of the RIV program, only the trailer is effected. You will need a recall clearance letter for the trailer from the trailer manufacturer, and a certificate of origin for the trailer and the boat (so you don't have to pay duty on USA MFG goods) again make all this required paperwork a condition of the sale with Hyde. You will also need a temp. registration for the trailer, again Hyde should provide.

I imported a Clack last year and it was absolutely painless. I had all my paperwork from Clacacraft with me, had to pay the GST at the border. At the border they will give you a form (form 1) and instructions on how to pay the RIV fee for the trailer. You will also have to get the trailer inspected when you get it home (part of the RIV fee).

If it is a used trailer beware that when you get it inspected they will measure the tread depth of the tires, maybe check the wheel bearings, wiring, etc.. On a new unit they generally give it a quick walk around and rubber stamp the form.

Sounds like alot, but again this should be status-quo for a USA MFG that sells into Canada. They will know what to do and what paperwork is required to get across the border and able to register the trailer once you are in Canada.

Have fun with the new boat.

Not sure if it's still the case, but before I got my Hyde trailer to pass inspection you had to mount a light near the license plate, the trailer didn't come with one 5 years ago. Maybe that's changed Bcube?

The VIN search is done by canadian tire and is to make sure that people are not selling stolen vehicles and trailers in canada. It should be pretty painless when dealing with a reputable company as I doubt they would sell a stolen trailer.

You also have to get a in transit sticker before you go. I can't remember what I had to do get that. You need the bill of sale and ? It's no problem to tow the trailer on the US side without a license plate. I think you have 48 hours from the border to get home. Sorry that's not much help. I went at easter last year the line up at the border was an couple hours both ways. It might be less with the dollar being 80 cents now.

• 2 weeks later...

Done it the wrong way, was very foolish and listened to a buddy of mine. Bought a low profile Hyde in Idaho Falls, fished it a couple of Days on the mighty mo - had too many beers in Shelby and mailed the import documents to my home - attempted to cross the border with our used drift boat.

To make a rather long story short, I have approximately $16,000 CDN into a drift boat I bought for $5900 USD - just to avoid paying $650 GST

Ouch....I brought mine back on Saturday and cruised through the border....payed about 400 in GST and will have the riv payment to follow for 200. I'm guessing that was a 10k fine??

Now I just need some open water around the Hat.....hurry up and melt......

Ouch....I brought mine back on Saturday and cruised through the border....payed about 400 in GST and will have the riv payment to follow for 200. I'm guessing that was a 10k fine??

40% fine for the boat and 20% fine for conveyance - and I purchased the boat when exchange was 1.55 (talk about the perfect storm!)

Oh well - young and foolish at that time - they had me on the naughty list for 7 years (when most of you go left at customs - I was the guy going right)

Despite the price - best purchase I have ever made - countless floats and good times enjoyed (still enjoying them but not quite as often - two young kids have definately curtailed my time on the water)

You will be very glad you purchased one!

We could use it as an ice breaker at Bullshead this weekend..no better way to break in a new drift boat than breaking up the 15'' of ice out there. You row, I'll drink beer.

We could use it as an ice breaker at Bullshead this weekend..no better way to break in a new drift boat than breaking up the 15'' of ice out there. You row, I'll drink beer.

I wondered if I rigged up a big "electric" motor for the back and rowed it around backwards.....just how much ice could one chew up in a day. Seriously considering some drastic measures! I watched my neighbor head out there this morning with the ice fishing gear....have to ask him how the day went later on.

And by the way.....just as much beer must be consumed by the rower as the rowee......

I wondered if I rigged up a big "electric" motor for the back and rowed it around backwards.....just how much ice could one chew up in a day. Seriously considering some drastic measures! I watched my neighbor head out there this morning with the ice fishing gear....have to ask him how the day went later on.

And by the way.....just as much beer must be consumed by the rower as the rowee......

Would it be possible to buy the trailer in canada, and then pick the boat up in the states? Might be easier if you can find the right trailer.