Fly Fusion Forums

How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry?

I carry three mid size boxs, less box's leaves room for more beers. 1 nymph 1 streamer in my belly bag & 1 dry & emerger box in my chest pack & close to my heart. I used to carry a bunch of patterns now I probably have thirty in various sizes & a few new (on trial) ties. I used to have specialty box's but now the only one I have is a still water box I leave in the U tube. I hope that typing impediment isn't contagious.

I ditched the cheapo plastic box with the poorly designed hinges (lid kept coming off) and now just throw the inserts in my pack.

Hi Jayvee,

I do something simliar, except I just carry my dropper rigs on a piece of fly-box insert foam in my vest. Problem is the top fly (typically a stimulator) tends to get mashed in my vest over time. Do your Orvis inserts keep the flies protected even without the box?

Thanks

Neil

Hmmm good question, how many can my bag hold?

I usally tie mass amounts of flies all the time and just fill my boxes then dumb them into my bag. I think I got 2 or three nymph boxes, 2 streamer boxes, a streamer box deadicated to bull trout flies, a dry fly box and a couple misalinous boxes.

Iwas cleaning out my bench and packs and vests and realized i had 17 fly boxes. Midges ,chronies,nymphs, streamers and pike flies.I usually carry about 5-6 but on my last 2 outings ive realized i hadnt the flies i needed. Maybe i should be the carrying a full size backpack. Addicted to the tying! everytime i see a new pattern i tie up a dozen that of coarse is in 6 different sizes. Ya im addicted and my name is ...........Any one want to but a tying bench. Thank god there are no salmon in this country. <--poke--< What there are more flavors of SWW than just red.

it all can vary for me.. some days maybe only one or two.. sometimes jstu a few pill bottles of teh essential flies i need and one with the long shots.. dries or weird nymphs etc.. otehr days quite a few maybe halfdozen or more...... if im hunting bulls or pike usually just a pockley full of streamers or chasing rising fish at night i might only bring a few dozen dries

Typically I bring several boxes to the river with me, but only select certain flies to fill a small (very small) box that fits in my shirt pocket. At lunch if I got back to the car I will change them up if required. I select dries and nymphs for this box. Two small boxes if I plan on taking lunch with me and wont be returning to the car - more variety. Some days if I plan on streamers I will toss in a streamer box aswell.

a couple spools of tippet and a spare leader also hit the pockets and maybe a small tin of split shot.

Guys/Gals,

I watched this thread with interest. I generally carry about 8 boxes and couldn't figure out how in the devil some of you get away with 2 or 3. Then the light came on.

How many boxes of SJW's and Buggers do you need!!!!

Me, well I pack my vest to fish from the 49th for the next 400 miles north spring>fall. You never know what you might need.

catch ya'

Don