Fly Fusion Forums

Store Inventory

misterbig

I have gone to Wholesale Sports back in Mid February and then Today and am very frustrated that the inventory of the fly tying materials hasn't changed. You do not need to have an MBA to figure out that if you have no stock you have no sales. I asked back in Feb if they were getting more stock in and they advised that the stock would be in over the next week or so. The same items that I asked about are still empty today. I asked again today and they told me to come back next week.

I think the staff have been sheep dipped way too long.

I need to find a better store.

m

misterbig,

I work in the retail industry and have found that with the current economy crunch that alot of stores are not carrying large amount of inventory as it is getting harder and harder to move things as people are only buying the bare min. of things. This could be the problem or it could be something else.

I buy all of my material at Fish Tales and found the staff there really knoweldable and willing to help out anyone weather it is finding the right material or giving a quick demo on how to use the material.

Hope that helps you out some.

You may not like this answer but I have yet to find a place that has all the items I use to tie with. You need to diversify your supply locations my friend. It pays dividends to shop at most if not all the local shops, you'll be surprised at what info you can come away with and best of all it 's free info.....added bonus at times is you can be shown some neat tips and tricks.

I agree that economic downturn has people spending less. But is it not better for a store to tell the folks that they are not getting more in vs telling them it will be in next week when they have no intentions? What bugs me more is that I called first and they told me that they stocked all the shelves even the specific product that I asked about.

Sorry for the rant. I feel much better.

m

I agree that economic downturn has people spending less. But is it not better for a store to tell the folks that they are not getting more in vs telling them it will be in next week when they have no intentions? What bugs me more is that I called first and they told me that they stocked all the shelves even the specific product that I asked about.

Sorry for the rant. I feel much better.

m

Well it all depends on how their reordering system works, I know with my work it is automated but there are also caps on how much we get that is set by our buyers out in Toronoto.

As for beeing told that the item was in stock, I know with my work I go and actually do a visaul look cause after all Inventory is never right cause otherwise why would we have to do a inventory check once a year.

I have found that alot of times people will check their inventory computer to see rather then actually check for the product, to me this is pure laziness.

Weather or not this is what happened at Wholesales I do not know as I do not work there, but have had a good expeince everytime I have been in there.

Also did you get someone from the fly fishing department or was it the first person that answer the phone? Having someone that knows the product and where it is located is always a good thing other then getting someone in a diffrent department that has no clue or worst yet (not saying this is what has happened at Wholesales) they just don't give a *hit.

Don't lose faith in stores as times are tuff right now and all we need to do is weather the storm, times will get better.

Wholesale has a new purchaser, I spoke to him yesterday and he told me " gone are the days of the shelves being empty". He also said to look alot of new materials and products. They brought in large racks to hold all of the stuff that is coming.

Duncan

"Wholesale has a new purchaser, I spoke to him yesterday and he told me " gone are the days of the shelves being empty" Well tell him to get his ass down to Lethbridge then.

Word from ___ is that WSS in Lethbridge can't get anything (re FF) and have no communications with sales staff... no such thing as automatic re-ordering .. HQ sales staff too busy to help ... hook supply (okay, supply is the wrong word) is weak ... Bloody terrible down here...

Hate going in there but HAD to make a couple of small purchases the other day ... had what I wanted ... shelves were indeed quite bare.

Wholesale Sports is literally the absolute LAST place I'll go to by something. Crappy service (unless you luck out and get someone who knows you from THIS website), and nothing in stock half the time.

I was in there today and bought a pair of corker boots. Also picked up the last pack of daichii #14 nymph hooks. They have virtually no temco hooks. Frustrating. Perfer Fish tales but its a long way to drive....

You may not like this answer but I have yet to find a place that has all the items I use to tie with. You need to diversify your supply locations my friend. It pays dividends to shop at most if not all the local shops, you'll be surprised at what info you can come away with and best of all it 's free info.....added bonus at times is you can be shown some neat tips and tricks.

Bingo! I usually buy my gear from one shop, but for tying supplies I hit most of the shops in town. There are good people at all the shops I go to and I like being able to put some money into each of their cash registers.

All I gotta say is during these tough economic times, intelligent customer service is what will seperate the be's from the wanna be's. If WSS is making more money off the hunters then the anglers, then good on them for their marketing approach. For the rest of us, we'll go (and continue to go) where the product is.

yup ima go yell at georgy too!.... jj...... u gotta hit a fwe stores too get what you want that is forsure! hopefully there will be a madd supply on teh way too wholesale!!!!!!!!! but usually i find this time of year stock can be down....

You guys should be lucky with the one you have in Calgary...It might not have everything, but at least it's not the one in Edmonton. The one in E-town has a micro-fraction of the amount of fly fishing stuff. :rolleyes: It's probably a lot like the Lethbridge one that Clive talked about lol. We ordered some Umpqua tippet that was supposed to come up from the Calgary store, so they gave us rainchecks a year ago: Still no call back :P

I live in SW Calgary and I find most or all my supplies at Westwinds or Fish Tales.

Yeah I agree with this.

I buy very little from Westwinds but usally has what I am looking for is Fish Tales doesn't, otherwise I just improvied if I can't find what I am looking for.