Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Buggers

alhuger

3 loose wraps on teh deer hair.. then slowly tighten... i like less is more idear... stack it up.. once u have it all spun too teh eye take a ball point pen tube and pack it back as hard as you can.. spin more and keep on packin it back.. suually halfdozen or more budles shal do ya.. she can never be too tight!

Al, talk to Aaron over at fish tales, he showed me a stuiply easy way to spin deer hair, I just don't know how to expain it. Also I tried max's suggestion and it worked very good, just need to do it to a couple of dozen hooks before I get it down pat.

• 1 month later...

What do you, pros, use for clipping the head?

I have tried razor (though not the electric:), straight and curved scissors (many brands). I do not really have problem cutting the shape I want, but the head is not smooth.

Do you wet the hair before cutting? Any other tricks that would make this less frustrating?:)

I use a razor blade. Not the rigid kind, but the flexable ones (get em from a drugstore). It helps if you use kind of a swiping motion. Once you have the bulk of the excess removed, bend the blade between your fingers and do any finishing touches. Sharper is better.

I totally agree with Dave at Fish Tales. The hair you use makes all the difference in the world.

I tie about 300 dozen goddards a year, several bombers and muddlers and I can assure you without

the correct hair I just could not make it happen.

I buy 1 or 2 complete hides a year for all the tying of deer hair I do. For the average tier

Wapsi has what is called a "premo strip" that works very well. The darker hair along the back of a deer is not suitable

for spining, but makes wonderfull wings and tails. The shoulder, sides and rump hair all works for spinning.

Just match the size of the hair to the size of the fly that is being tied.

Not sure if all of that makes sense or not.

Chris Helm has a great DVD out that explains it much better that I can here.

I buy 1 or 2 complete hides a year for all the tying of deer hair I do. For the average tier

Wapsi has what is called a "premo strip" that works very well. The darker hair along the back of a deer is not suitable

for spining, but makes wonderfull wings and tails. The shoulder, sides and rump hair all works for spinning.

Just match the size of the hair to the size of the fly that is being tied.

Not sure if all of that makes sense or not.

Chris Helm has a great DVD out that explains it much better that I can here.