Fly Fusion Forums

4 Wt Recos

ÜberFly

Gang, I am interested in acquiring a 4 wt this year and was wondering if I should consider a 7,6 - 8,6 or 9,0?! I would mostly use it for dry fly action on the Bow, as well as back country/high mountain outings. Your opinions, experiences and insights would be greatly appreciated. Also trying to keep the cost around $200ish... Presently fishing with a Redington CPS 5 wt that I'm REALLY impressed with (currently on sale b/c of a model change) and know that the Sage Fli series is on sale, also (same rationale)...

Thanks,

Peter

That's about as wide an application as one could ever imagine for a single weight rod. If you drift the Bow, you could certainly get away with a shorter rod, but walk and wade really requires the "long gun". The applications also dictate entirely different actions, a rocket for the Bow and a smooth, moderate action(and maybe consider a 3wt) for the small streams.

My advise is to get a rod that applies to the majority of the fishing that you do. And budget for a second one(and peripherals, of course!) down the road. "Compromises" very rarely work well.

Whichever length/weight rod you decide, do yourself and your style of casting, a favour: Take some masking tape and cover the "name" on the rod. Try as many as you can, and buy the one that feels the best in your hand. Your decision should be influenced by end price(of course), by the cost of the warranty(both included in the purchase price and the post purchase "fees"), but after those considerations, the deciding factor should be the performance in your hand. Make it fit "you".

j

I'm with Doc. I use a 9' 4wt for dries on the Bow and an 8'2" 2wt for small streams but also carry a 9'6" 7wt for nymphing or streamers. The 9' might be too long for really small water and the 8'2" just doesn't have the reach you sometimes need for the Bow. If your 5wt is a 9' I'd consider keeping that for dries on the Bow and get a shorter rod for the small streams if you only have the funds for one new rod right now. You might also want to check out a 2 or 3wt for small stream stuff.

go with a 8 footer.. most of teh dryfly i do on teh bow wether it be hunting snouts or tossin hopper droper rigs is usually 40 feet or less...... same with the smaller streams.... im looking at pickin up a 8 foot 3wt for teh bow this year bin using a 9footer for years but dont really need that extra foot unless im doing madd mending...

Max, I already have a call in to try out the Beulah 8 ft 4 wt...

Will let you know what I think about it...

Cheers,

P

go with a 8 footer.. most of teh dryfly i do on teh bow wether it be hunting snouts or tossin hopper droper rigs is usually 40 feet or less...... same with the smaller streams.... im looking at pickin up a 8 foot 3wt for teh bow this year bin using a 9footer for years but dont really need that extra foot unless im doing madd mending...