Fly Fusion Forums

Trolling Motor Question

What is the total loaded weight? Where are you going to troll(I assume lakes?) I was on MinnKota's pro-staff for 3 years. There is no reliable, practical conversion from ft/lbs to hp. An electric is essentially a "work" drive and an outboard is a "speed" drive. No real comparison.

j

What is the total loaded weight? Where are you going to troll(I assume lakes?) I was on MinnKota's pro-staff for 3 years. There is no reliable, practical conversion from ft/lbs to hp. An electric is essentially a "work" drive and an outboard is a "speed" drive. No real comparison.

j

Two person pontoon boat 100 lbs. Two people with gear 500 lbs. Will be used on lakes when not floating on the bow. Was told get the largest that I can get but 80 lbs are very $$$$.

M

I have a minkota 34lb thrust for my 10' pontoon boat.

If your just slowly cruising around the lake my battery will last 4-6 hours.

If you've got it full out moving from one spot to another your probably looking at about 2-3 hours.

The 34lb on the one man boat is LOTS!

It's very hard to stear so I normally put it as straight as I can get it and then stear with one or both of the paddles.

I would agree a 34lbs would work great.A 40lb motor starts to get a little heavy.

1lb of thrust=1 amp/hr, most batterys are 120amp/hr so a 30lb motor going full blast will kill a battery in 4hrs approx .Thats a 12volt.But remember you shouldn't drain your batterys past 50%.

from a couple of different sources.

Motor Thrust - Total Weight - Boat length - Pounds of thrust required in feet

30 lbs - 2100 lbs - 12' - 30

36 lbs - 2520 lbs - 13' - 30

40 lbs - 2800 lbs - 14' - 32

42 lbs - 2940 lbs - 15' - 36

44 lbs - 3080 lbs - 16' - 40

48 lbs - 3360 lbs - 17' - 50

50 lbs - 3500 lbs - 18' - 55

55 lbs - 3850 lbs - 19' - 65

65 lbs - 4550 lbs - 20' - 74

74 lbs - 5180 lbs - 21' - 74

I would agree a 34lbs would work great.A 40lb motor starts to get a little heavy.

1lb of thrust=1 amp/hr, most batterys are 120amp/hr so a 30lb motor going full blast will kill a battery in 4hrs approx .Thats a 12volt.But remember you shouldn't drain your batterys past 50%.

You can get Deep Cycle batteries that are designed to go from full to empty repeatedly. Your car battery is not

You can get Deep Cycle batteries that are designed to go from full to empty repeatedly. Your car battery is not

To extend the life of a deep cycle battery it is recommended not to discharge past 50%,also you should charge it right away.You can bring them down to almost dead but after a few times they just arn't as good IMO.

OK now you guys got me wondering so i did some googleing .It seems there can be two different kinds of deep cycles ,a true deep cycle has solid plates like a golf cart battery and then there are hybrid battery's witch don't have solid plates ,witch i think is the kind you buy over the counter, not sure.They recommend not to discharge past 50% on hybrid battery's.Any battery experts out there ?

Tried to post on this last night and my big, expensive, dual everydamnthing IBM computer took a dive because of a $25 router, go figure!

If you are going to troll on lakes, get a motor with Maximizer. MinnKota Endura does not have it. Look around for a Maxuum 40(last year's discontinued model) or when Costco has them on sale a Maxumm 33(I think). Without getting techno-weenie, at slow trolling speed a Maxuum equipped motor will extend your battery life by 4 to 5 times to that of an ordinary non-Max motor of the same thrust.

Get the most thrust that you can afford and will be a reasonable weight on that pontoon. You do not want to be sucking for thrust when you really want it. A Max 40 will move you very slowly at dead slow and will move that pontoon on the river, fairly well also.

Batteries: There are two kinds, consumer and industrial. The absolutely very best battery for a 30-40 ft/lb motor is a Group 27 deep cycle industrial gelcell. It will charge(cycle) under 3-4 day a week use in 7 month seasons for up to 5 years. Done it. And I do have a Maxuum40. If you have a "Polar Battery" in town, go see them.

The gelcell is heavy, higher priced and does not spill. Put it in a carry box with 3/4" styrofoam underneath to absorb shocks and bumps and to insulate it from the cold deck or boat bottom.

I have a fishcat 13 two man pontoon boat and have a Minnkota 55lbs with maximized purchased last year at costco in the spring. It is great for the boat and I have even used it on a couple aluminum row boats and it really goes good, much better than rowing :) Real good deal, I do not remember the price but even with a rebate from other local stores was much better priced. I have not been out on it all day so I cannot tell you to much about batteries. I have a sealed one and it cost a lot and has a high capacity but off hand I do not have the details and have not used it long enough continuously to give much of a recommendation. If you have a fishcat 13 they are great on the bow, I have really enjoyed mine.

hope this helps a little.

Hey Jack, what is one of those battery's worth?

I'll second that digital maximizer does use less power for slow trolling .

Haven't got a clink(that's half a clue), Tung. I've been using the same one for 5 years and the price of batteries has varied like crazy during that time. It was $135 or so, "back then".

Mr Big,a couple things about pontoons and electric motors .You may have to stiffen the transom up a little with some wood or what ever if your going to put a big motor on it.The anchor rope deploys right beside the motor ,not such a big deal on stillwaters.Pontoon boats don't have a keel to track the boat straight.Where the motor is will be the front of the boat ,and you will have to turn the motor 180deg.so the motor will pull the boat.As Tepety says you steer with the oars ,or if just let the oars drag in the water it will keep you straight .If you want to troll really slow you can turn the motor back 180deg.and run it in reverse this will be your slowest speed .Hope this helps ..

Mr Big,a couple things about pontoons and electric motors .You may have to stiffen the transom up a little with some wood or what ever if your going to put a big motor on it.The anchor rope deploys right beside the motor ,not such a big deal on stillwaters.Pontoon boats don't have a keel to track the boat straight.Where the motor is will be the front of the boat ,and you will have to turn the motor 180deg.so the motor will pull the boat.As Tepety says you steer with the oars ,or if just let the oars drag in the water it will keep you straight .If you want to troll really slow you can turn the motor back 180deg.and run it in reverse this will be your slowest speed .Hope this helps ..

Why can't the motor push the boat. I was planing on having it on the back of the boat and as you would on an alum boat and let it push me forwards.

Tung can you explain further.

M

Why can't the motor push the boat. I was planing on having it on the back of the boat and as you would on an alum boat and let it push me forwards.

Tung can you explain further.

M

The first time i put a motor on my pontoon i tryed the same thing and all i did was donuts.Maybe yours will be different being a two man craft .It works better to pull than push because you have no keel or rutter ,also the waves won't splash you in the face.its easyer to troll too because your facing your lines.You'll no what i mean when you take it out for the first time ,the boat won't respond to steering like it does in an aluminum.Its like driving on ice.

The first time i put a motor on my pontoon i tryed the same thing and all i did was donuts.Maybe yours will be different being a two man craft .It works better to pull than push because you have no keel or rutter ,also the waves won't splash you in the face.its easyer to troll too because your facing your lines.You'll no what i mean when you take it out for the first time ,the boat won't respond to steering like it does in an aluminum.Its like driving on ice.

M

Sorry about that, I'll try again. I have a 9 foot Outcast Discovery with a 40# thrust Minnkota. I use a wheel chair battery I got at Battery World. It's a deep cycle but about 30% smaller than a regular battery. Cost was about $100. Be sure to get a case and the breaker panel that Minnkota reccomends. Both are inexpensive. As for steering, I have the oar keepers (available at Fishin Hole $20) that use velcro to attach at the rear of the frame. With the oars resting in these the blades hang in the water about even with the transom on the cargo deck. They act like two keels and directional control using the motor normally is a snap. If you lift and lock the motor about 45 degrees using the anchor pulley/lock is also not a problem. I hope that helps you. I love the idea about the solar panel, I gotta' check that out.

Beeker

Good ideas beeker.I thought about solar panels ,the problem is a 5 watt one isn't going to do much plus it could wreck your 100$ battery.You could buy a much better one more watts etc.But for the price you can just buy more battery's.Nothing worse than going fishing for three days and running out of juice.I have rotated battery's between truck and boat before in a pinch.

Had a bud spend around $500 on a decent solar charging system for his boat battery, during extended trips. Battery was flat dead in 3 days. Told him to quit trying to charge it over night !! :opps:

:)

j

Good ideas beeker.I thought about solar panels ,the problem is a 5 watt one isn't going to do much plus it could wreck your 100$ battery.You could buy a much better one more watts etc.But for the price you can just buy more battery's.Nothing worse than going fishing for three days and running out of juice.I have rotated battery's between truck and boat before in a pinch.

M,

I forgot one very important detail. You have to have "Oarright" ( I think that's the brand name?) oar collars. They lock the oars in the oar locks so that the blade is always perpendicular to the water surface. Then they can act like a keel or rudder, not just spin in the oar locks.

Your right about the solar panel. Way too much hassle for possibly no gain. Besides, an extra battry to swap out when required is cheaper.

Beeker

• 4 weeks later...

Fyi,

Costco south has the new Minn Kota Traxxis in 50 lbs thrust. Cost is $399. I also contacted Minn kota regarding the $50 USD rebate and was told that it will qualify. Just need to add model number to the bottom of the list. This is the cheapest that I can find. 55 lbs thrust goes for $500 before rebate. Minn Kota also told me that the 5 lbs delta will not be a noticable difference.

M