Fly Fusion Forums

More From Peta

ha ha.

see this will & testament from the founder?

http://www.peta.org/feat/newkirk/will.html

i really hope i outlive her as i want to be first in line for a burger at the bbq [2a], as well i want a nice hat [2b] to wear as i harvest sea kittens, and i'll be the first to give her a postmort wet willy [2g] on parliment hill.

Any chance we could do all those things Ingrid wants while she's still alive??........:):)

I'm not as worried about PETA as some of the other organizations out there. Groups like Y2Y (Yellowstone to Yukon Initiative) scare the pants off of me. While the groups look fine on the surface, their goals are somewhat different. Rick is right. These groups market themselves very well. Better than fish and hunting organizations.

I am a fisherman and a hunter. Dr.Valerius Geist is a well known hunter and wild life biologist who sums up why people hunt in a very accurate summation. I won't parapharse as it wouldn't do justice for the well worded explanation.

We are losing hunters more because the shift in population density than anything else. From my experience, acknowledging oneself as a hunter can be a dangerous event, much more than being a fisherman. I find it very ignorant for someone who had never hunted to give me grief for hunting.

What do I do about it? I commit most of my time and money to my outdoor activities. I am involved in 4 different organizations that promote the conservation and education intiatives. I also make it a point to expose people to these activities on a regular basis.

Rick your post is right on the money, look at how in 2 generations the number of hunters has diminished dramatically, and the funny thing is now we have to many deer in the population.

now I am not advocating law breaking here but they only win when you lay down your rod.

From my cold dead hands. CH

Not to be a turd, but the statement that deer are overpopulated is a big misnomer. The entire state of Texas is estimated to have more deer than the entire country of Canada. We like to think they are overly abundant, but truth be told their populations are no where near overabundant. There are estimates ranging anywhere from 20-30 million deer in the states, which is drastically more than what Canada supports in deer (somewhere around 4-5 million...too lazy to search for the populatiom studies). Our habitats and climate are limiting to deer populations and thus we will never see over populated (beyond the capacity of its environment) deer in our neck of the woods for a long time. There are localized populations that are overabundant and these are usually outskirts of urban areas or other suitable habitats where hunting is not allowed and predators aren't welcome.

Rickr is bang on the money with people understimating PETA. These organizations are not afraid to take extreme measures to get their point accross and IMO should be treated like terrorists. Money talks and BS walks, and if money and BS meet up you have walking BS ie. PETA

Best quote from the replies to the article:

"Kudos to the Missoulian for stepping up and giving its readers another press release story. PETA clearly does not think that an MT high school will actually change it's name, they simply operate under the premise that any press is good press. By running with the story, even if the writer is just making light of it, the local paper just plays along with the game, encouraging more inane press releases from more inane groups, and in turn more inane topics to write about. PETA's not to blame here, they've just realized that if they send out whacky press releases, someone at the Missoulian will bite on it."

I wonder if the "will bite on it" was a pun?

And to hijcack a hijack:

There was a discussion above on deer populations, specifically that the number of deer in Texas is larger than the entire population in Canada. I have no way to verify that (or am too lazy to), but lets take it as fact. There has been far more development in Texas than in Canada. Vast, vast tracks of Canada are still relatively untouched. Further, if you go to Austin, you will see more deer in the city than anywhere else. They thrive in the hill country communities. So I'm unsure how much development has an impact (though this is purely an unscientific observation).

My bet is (again, totally unscientific) is that the population of deer in Texas has always been larger. It's a biomass issue. The deer in Texas are significantly smaller than the deer here. The first time I saw a whitetail here, I was in shock they are so much larger. They have to be to survive the cold. I don't think the north country could ever support the population density of the tiny deer down south.

Back to PETA, I don't think we have felt significant impact yet in North America with respect to number of fishermen or hunters. They will never be able to convince the recreational fisherman or hunter to abandon their activity. PETAs goal is to make it politically unacceptable for hunting and fishing to continue. Convince the voters and the politicians will have to follow.

I also make it a point to expose people to these activities on a regular basis.

Pipes,

Be careful about talking about exposing new people around here, or you'll get flamed for creating overpopulation on someones favorite river or stream. If you do expose someone, always take them somewhere they have no chance of catching or shooting anything to avoid making some other hunter or fisherman mad. ;)

These things result from urbanization. The less people can recognize they are part of a food chain, the dumber they act. I have a sister-in-law who has gone off a few times on "how can someone hurt a (insert animal name here)?' yet she loves a good steak/chop/fowl/fish. In order for us to eat, something else has to die. Guns and rods used to be tools. Now they are means of destruction.

Meat is extensively marketed in a sterilized manner.

Several years ago, my family and 2 others did a canoeing trip in the Broken Islands. I went fishing and brought back enough to feed the group. The one Mom, a doctor, was alarmed when I started cleaning the fish when the kids were around. She thought they would be upset. The kids were fascinated. They got right into the action and even poked around in the guts. They had no qualms about eating the fish either.

Take away fisherman and you take away the vast majority of people who give a *hit about fish. Most epople don't even know there are fish in the Bow river. Without the volunteer hors of recreational fisherman there wouldn't be near as much concern for fisheries conservation on the Bow, garbage cleanup etc. They can talk all they want about how it is inhumane to catch a fish for fun, but fisherman are major contributers to environmental stewardship. I suppose they might argue that this is out of our own self-interest and has nothing to do with our appreciation for the environment for its own sake.

This "marketing" campaign seems clever and I get what their intentions are, but come on a fish being compared to a kitten? Who here flushes their kitten down the toilet when it dies? The thing that really makes me laugh is that PETA has long bemoaned society giving special treament to "cute and cuddly animals." Now they are trying to encourage people to respect fish because they are "sea kittens," as if that makes them more worth saving. How about respect for animals regardless of their looks? I guess only the people capable of that are the ethically-superior PETA members.

This campaign is insulting to the intelligence of the general public (including kids) and more accurately represents PETA's own ****ed-up membership. If they are indeed successful in shifting public opinion in favour of banning recreational angling it won't happen for a long time. Even know thay have a fairly large membership, the rest of the world thinks they are nuts.

The less people can recognize they are part of a food chain, the dumber they act.

Meat is extensively marketed in a sterilized manner.

the extensively marketed/mass production/pre-packaged meat also tastes pretty sterile as well: fish, chicken, cow, whatever. what you but at safeway or coop that looks all nice & clean usually does not taste all that real.

i'm a big fan of eating real food, and a big proponent of ensuring that i know and remember my place in the chain.

• 3 weeks later...