Fly Fusion Forums

What Was Your Favorite Setup

bhurt

Well since I am one year more experinced with the Two hander I thought I would get other peoples thoughts on what their fav set up was this year.

For me I enjoyed using my 11' 6 6/7 weight Beluha with my 9 Pulse Hatch reel, and my 32 foot 380grain (I could be wrong on the line weight) Scandi line.

For chucking Cats and dogs I diged using my 12' 6 7/8weight TFO Pro with my Pluegher Prisendent reel and my 21foot 480grain compact skagit line.

For the Bow I really liked the 12'2" Decho 5 with a Rio AFS head and 10 foot polyleader balanced out with a Nautilus 10 reel. The 11'9" Decho 4 feels nice too, but I only got out with it once and I think it'll be even better with one of the new Airflo Scandi Compacts than with the 7 wt 40+ I have on it now. Using a Nautilus 8 to balance the Decho 4.

web.jpg

I worked with a lot of different rods this year and spent considerable time and effort dialing in a variety of line systems and casting techniques for each. As for favorite set ups, they were all great when the rod/line/leader system and appropriate casting technique were finely tuned, but they all sucked if they weren't. A well balanced line/rod still needs appropriate casting technique to perform correctly, but it can be very difficult to cast any rod/line/leader system that is imbalanced.

I used my Loop Signature Series 6120 the most in 2008, in a wide variety of fishing/casting conditions on lakes, rivers, ponds, tough shorelines, from boats etc. I would have to give it a 10/10 as a superbly designed/crafted, high performance Spey rod, for use with any of the line types/casting styles. I would also give the same high marks to the Loop Opti 8124...

Great to see all you casters having a good time with two handers..

For me,I have to say that the work horse in my hands has been the Snowbee 12'6" 7/8 Tamar. The wide range of abilities this rod has, has allowed me to give it to a client with total confidence. It can fish Long Belly Lines,Mid Belly Lines.Skagit ,Scandi and even underlined set-ups off the Beach for overhead casting. I have landed 12" Trout and 50 Lb. Chinook equally as much fun...it's not too big and not too small...

For big waters my favorote line set-up has been the CND Skagit head 530 grain with Snowbee Running line,and for the smaller waters the Beulah Elixir 7/8 spey and Poly tips

C

8124 opti lined with the new Whistler line and 40# lts running line, balances perfect with the 7/9 classic.

OK clearly I'm a little biased but his is easily the most high performance rig I've tried-the opti is a gun-super light with a tonne of power. A nice smooth progressive flex with a tip that is medium in flex but incredibly quick recovering, making for a fast rod that doesn't feel like a broom handle. The overall reduced weight and diameter of the Whistler line combined with the fast precise tip of the opti make for a set up that throws razer lazers and fishes great too.

fishing2008499.jpg

Not the highest end system here but a great mid trout Spey rod. Have really enjoyed throwing flies and nymph rigs with the little Deer Creek 5/6. Had a ball with skid bitch and Stimulators last fall. Throws a nice Rio windcutter, a variety of Skagit and Scandia lines. Have had a ton of fun with this rod and coaxed the odd Trout and Steelhead to net. It's been a great rod and a lot easier on the old body and sholders than the big fly rods. My Tennis elbow disappeared.

7fd2617360f29dcd8ebd0d02edd72d84bcf85469

17216b3cfbdc88de0d17c4633fb1e6f00db4b222

is that one of the ari hart reels dude?

Actually no the Ari ‘t Hart reels are out of my league. Brother in law in BC has one, incredible piece of machinery. This one on the Deer Creek is a is a Airflo Balance. 911W. nice large arbor with great balance on the rod. It has a sealed drag that's very nice. Put it through it's paces over the last year and quite like it. Interesting design. What I really like about it is the way it's set up for palming both rims for better control while playing fish. Decent reel, great capacity wasn't expensive, lots of bang for the buck, probably a sleeper that will disappear from the market.