Fly Fusion Forums

The Undisputed Photo Of The Year Thread

WesG

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FishinNut_Pa_2.jpg

I know this one isn't fly fishing related. But this one means the most to me. My dad was sick with cancer and wanted to go on one last salmon/halibut fishing trip. I arranged a trip at the end of August. We met in Ucluelet and we went out for one last trip. He died New Years day.

Kingfisher,

So sorry for your loss.

My father died of cancer as well, a little over 2 yrs ago. He fought it off for years, but at the end there was not much left of him to fight. When it became obvious the end was near, the family gathered together to say goodbye. My son and his cousin, both 13 at the time and crazy for fishing were in his bedroom talking to him. When they came out, dad called for my mom. She went in, and came out 30 seconds later laughing. I asked what was up and she said:

"Your father just asked me to make him a ham sandwich, and that he was going to take the boys fishing."

Now, he had prostate cancer that had metastasized in him stomach. He had not been able to eat for days, and actually never ate again. Nor did he eat the ham sandwich. But he was serious about trying. I'll never forget that moment.

I did get to fish with my dad many times when he was sick. I never knew which one would be the last, and if truth be known, I'm not sure I remember exactly which one was the last. Didn't matter though, but I wish I had a picture. I would cherish it as you will cherish yours.