Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing And Crowds

Rather than highjack Brent's thread, Here goes:

Pressure in Alberta is realtively mild compared to alot of places guys, Ive fished rivers from coast to coast and depending on the species your targeting it gets WAY worst than anything ive ever seen in Ab. but that beening said a little common courtsy goes a long way when it comes to angling. If push comes to shove, nobody owns the river, pool, run or otherwise and one can only hope that people govern themselves with proper etiquette, but this is not always the case..When it comes to trout, they can be found anywhere (of course some spots are better than others)..but certain "run" fish, such as Some species of trout, Salmon and Steelhead, must be targeted in most cases to catch fish..and this creates alot of frustration to all anglers involved..the best thing to do is the best you can w/o getting upset..if you find yourself at the end of your rope..best to bite your lip and move on..after all fishing is suppose to be enjoyable and should'nt cause tension but releve it...

..and when you find yourself in a "tight" situation with 5 people on 500 yards of water think of this....

IT COULD BE WORST..Ive seen and even had to fish worst than this...

IMGP0189.jpg

easy remedy pretend to be dutch or german ask the other anglers if they would like some bearspray regardless of their answer pretend to not understand them and act as if you are gonna apply the spray to their neck and arms I bet they leave quickly.

JK Yeah its a tough life here in AB The other day I saw some footprints on the stretch I was fishing! Man was I pissed! That damn coyote was lucky I never caught up to him let me tell ya!

easy remedy pretend to be dutch or german ask the other anglers if they would like some bearspray regardless of their answer pretend to not understand them and act as if you are gonna apply the spray to their neck and arms I bet they leave quickly.

JK Yeah its a tough life here in AB The other day I saw some footprints on the stretch I was fishing! Man was I pissed! That damn coyote was lucky I never caught up to him let me tell ya!

LOL...bear spray...make sure to wash your hands afterwards though or the fish will smell it...too funny..bet it'd work though...

I have been salmon fishing in Nova Scotia when there are guys lined up like this for over a mile. Any time the water level was low the fish would be forced to hold in pools, guys would come out of the wood work to pound flies at them all day.

Rather than highjack Brent's thread, Here goes:

Pressure in Alberta is realtively mild compared to alot of places guys, Ive fished rivers from coast to coast and depending on the species your targeting it gets WAY worst than anything ive ever seen in Ab. but that beening said a little common courtsy goes a long way when it comes to angling. If push comes to shove, nobody owns the river, pool, run or otherwise and one can only hope that people govern themselves with proper etiquette, but this is not always the case..When it comes to trout, they can be found anywhere (of course some spots are better than others)..but certain "run" fish, such as Some species of trout, Salmon and Steelhead, must be targeted in most cases to catch fish..and this creates alot of frustration to all anglers involved..the best thing to do is the best you can w/o getting upset..if you find yourself at the end of your rope..best to bite your lip and move on..after all fishing is suppose to be enjoyable and should'nt cause tension but releve it...

..and when you find yourself in a "tight" situation with 5 people on 500 yards of water think of this....

IT COULD BE WORST..Ive seen and even had to fish worst than this...

IMGP0189.jpg

Theres at least room for a dozen more guys in that run :P . reminds me of Sockeye time on the fraser.

Colin

grew up with this crap..If i can see what pattern your swinging..than your way too close..i won't line up with the squatters, I'll go fish the pockets and take my chances, nothing better than walking by 10 people around a pool with 200 fish in it and going below and catch a fresh fish on its way up river stopped in a small pool for a rest....its the best... this is quite mild for a salmon river on the east coast, the next day there was a big run of fish come in (200-300 fish) and apparently it was crazy by any standards, I was fishing another river that day so did'nt get to see the crazyness...whew...

Question..The guys sat on the rocks are guiding a couple people each..Whould you pay +/- 200 bucks a day to fish here?...lots do...

I know a guy from Olds who has family living in BC and visits them yearly while he fishes for salmon. He told me that the banks get extremely packed when hes there with guys almost rubbing shoulders at some of the best runs.

Now heres the funny, yet terrible part. He brings his nephews along which are now 6 and 9 and gets them to continuously throw large lures with treble hooks straight up, and downstream intentionally snagging as many anglers lines as possible. He said 20 minutes of this and he has the bank to himself.

:blink:

Kinda looks like what I ran into for my first experience on the Bow River on wednesday evening

I don;t find it hard to avoid the crowds on the Bow, sure you get pressure around the parking lots at Fish Creek, and all the other popular spots but a short hike up/down river seems to remedy that for me, for the most part people who fish the Bow are lazy and don;t want to walk much more than the length of themselves. Since there are pretty much fish everywhere on the Bow, crowding holding pools like this is usally non-existant...If you find yourself crowded constantly, PM me I'd be more than happy to give up a couple inner city sweet spots where I seldom see people fish...

My girlfriend lives in Chilliwack and we've gone for walks along the Fraser and the Vedder during salmon and steelhead runs. What a zoo. Just like the photo, except for up to a mile of it on the Fraser. And she wonders why I say that there isn't any real fishing there. Only problem is that I'm likely to move out there when I retire, since she likes to garden. I'd best enjoy Alberta while I can.

For the life of me, I will never understand that picture. How badly do you need to fish if you're gonna do that? I'd rather go shopping. That's crazy.

What do you do if you spent hundreds of dollers and drive for hours, (or in my case fly from Alberta) to arrive at this river, it was the less traffic we seen while i was up thet way (Northern Pennisula, Newfoundland)..not fishing is just not an option, the Salmon run was late and there were literally hundreds of people waiting for the run to happen on 4 small rivers..(less than 3km in lenght)...this river recieves the least pressure in the area..I did however manage one in the pool down below resting behind the rock, but for the main part once salmon leave the salt water, they don't stop before that first holding pool, and they wait for a heavy rain so they can jump the falls...

on another river nearby, The Torrent River, a guide friend of my said he counted 21 rods fishing at Wing Pool one morning..which is not much bigger than this one..needless to say..i did'nt go to Wing..but this is the worst pressure I've seen in the 10 years Ive been up there fishing..

I will certainly try that one when I see any other angler on the streams when I am fishing in the Fall. My Dutch is fabulous. :lol:

Brownstone,

I'm a little surprised, I would have expected Newfoundland to have similar regulations as Cape Breton Island's:

Pool Rotation

Pool rotation can be summed up very simply: -Take your turn, and cast and move. -Should you arrive at a pool, and other anglers are there ahead of you, it will be expected that you wait your turn before entering the pool. A waiting area is usually obvious where waiting anglers gather until it is their turn.

-When it becomes your turn, you will start at the upstream end of the group of anglers, and follow the group through the pool.

-While moving through the pool, it is the usual practice to take 2 casts and then take a step downstream. Be careful not to move too far out into the pool near the fish. This may cause the fish to move away or cause them to be less likely to take a fly.

It's actually not that bad guys. My first experience with this was fishing for pinks when they come up the river in the evening. I was the first at the pool and was just blind casting before the pinks came in. When they started coming in, people started coming out of the woodwork (ie. camp near bay) there were literally 50+ people in one large pool, and both sides were packed. I could literally touch the person beside me with my rod. Towards the end of the evening, someone even launched a row boat to the middle of the pool.

If I would have came later, I never would have joined and missed out on a lot of fun. The people were very amiable and respectful. I since come across situations in BC where the pools are crowded and the first thing you here is "jump in here, there's lots of room" And lots of room would be considered what you see above.

Don't skip the salmon fishing because there's crowds. If the salmon are there in any size numbers, so will be the people.

When the people are packed in there like Sardines, what happens when multiple people hook up? Wouldn't it become a little ridiculous or is it fishing with big gear and a haul them to shore mentality?

People will just reel in and give you room to play your fish. You also try to take your fish out of the area.

I will certainly try that one when I see any other angler on the streams when I am fishing in the Fall. My Dutch is fabulous. :lol:

Good idea, Dutch! I'll do that too the next time I'm in Alberta. White guy with a Japanese accent. They'll think I'm crazy for sure ...

Brownstone,

I'm a little surprised, I would have expected Newfoundland to have similar regulations as Cape Breton Island's:

Pool Rotation

Pool rotation can be summed up very simply: -Take your turn, and cast and move. -Should you arrive at a pool, and other anglers are there ahead of you, it will be expected that you wait your turn before entering the pool. A waiting area is usually obvious where waiting anglers gather until it is their turn.

-When it becomes your turn, you will start at the upstream end of the group of anglers, and follow the group through the pool.

-While moving through the pool, it is the usual practice to take 2 casts and then take a step downstream. Be careful not to move too far out into the pool near the fish. This may cause the fish to move away or cause them to be less likely to take a fly.

never heard of it..Is that a law on the river or just an unwritten rule? Ive fished NS/NB before and encountered similar crowds..Great Idea though, for the most part in Newfoundland peole "hog" a rock or a spot to stand on the river until they get a fish, then they may give it up to someone who has a less desierable spot in the pool..

never heard of it..Is that a law on the river or just an unwritten rule? Ive fished NS/NB before and encountered similar crowds..Great Idea though, for the most part in Newfoundland peole "hog" a rock or a spot to stand on the river until they get a fish, then they may give it up to someone who has a less desierable spot in the pool..

It's not a governmental law per say, but it get's tricky, the law states "you must follow basic fishing etiquette as well as the rules and regulations set down by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Department of Lands and Forests." The "basic fishing etiquette" is written up by the Margaree fishing Association (a volunteer non-profit group), so are you by law required to follow it? Well, I doubt you'd last too long at a pool unless you did regardless.

Funny thing about assumptions, (especially by me) they are often wrong, I guess C.B. is unique in that sense. Another reason why comparing Cape Breton with mainland NS/NB is apples to oranges.

Those are the same Gentleman Angler rules in place for fishing Atlantics in New Brunswick, as well as most private beats in Scotland and the UK. In New Brunswick the use of any weight on the fly or line, is not permited and sink tips are frowned upon.

Those are the same Gentleman Angler rules in place for fishing Atlantics in New Brunswick, as well as most private beats in Scotland and the UK. In New Brunswick the use of any weight on the fly or line, is not permited and sink tips are frowned upon.

Not to mention casting a wet fly upstream is frowned upon.