Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Weir Project

cgyguy

Weir construction begins

Updated: Tue Dec. 16 2008 17:51:35

ctvcalgary.ca

The cold weather hasn't stalled the start of construction on the Bow River Weir.

The weir is being modified to make it safer for boaters and other river users.

"There's going to be some concrete on the trailing edge of the weir that will reverse the direction of the undertow so it won't catch things and pull them back into the weir. It will spin the other way and kick things downstream," says Mac Hickley from the Parks Foundation Calgary.

The cold didn't hinder work on the project. This is the best time of year to get the work done because water levels are low and it won't impact fish.

On Tuesday, workers started taking river bed from one area and moving it to another. The end result will be a series of dams.

Work on the weir will be done in a couple of stages and is expected to be finished by 2011.

The $15-million project is funded with private, municipal and provincial dollars.

Guest tallieho

i sure hope they don't disturb the 3 wells over where they started,the old trailer site .those 3 wells are what supplies the water for the hatchery.

Weir construction begins

Updated: Tue Dec. 16 2008 17:51:35

ctvcalgary.ca

Work on the weir will be done in a couple of stages and is expected to be finished by 2011.

I have to wonder how much debris this will wash down stream. As Silver Doctor indicated earlier there will be some downstream impact. I just hope it does not color up the water all the way throughout the city. It looks like they will be using pretty heavy equipment there.

al

I have to wonder how much debris this will wash down stream. As Silver Doctor indicated earlier there will be some downstream impact. I just hope it does not color up the water all the way throughout the city. It looks like they will be using pretty heavy equipment there.

al

Are you worried about the murky water harming aquatic life, or were you actually planning on fishing soon?

al

Short term pain for long term gain. What I'm really worried about are the poor Pelicans <--poke--<