Fly Fusion Forums

First Ever Fish On A Dry Fly!

WOOHOO!!

Got out to the D Bar D early this morning on the Columbia.. it was a beautiful day. Starting fishing around 6:30am and the Pros were out again filming. LOTS of fish rising but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what they were rising for. I had a fly on that looked similar to the ones that were landing on me but it didn't seem to be working.

After about an hour and a half or so the pros left empty handed.. so I didn't feel so bad.

If you look close.. you can see one boat is fishing.. the other is filming.

CIMG1239.jpg

Decided to stay and keep trying.. tried streamers and nymphs too.. but nothing was working. Finally at around 8:15am another boat showed up with a couple guys.. asked me how it was going and I said "pretty good.. well, tonnes of fish rising here but I can't figure out what they're taking." The guys says "try a sedge pupae (which means nothing to me at this point) .. dark body, hackle, maybe even purple.." so I'm like "okay" and tie on a fly I was using earlier that didn't work.. but it was as close to that description as I had.

Well.. finally got the casting somewhat figured out.. a few times the fish were rising close to my fly which led to a few tense moments.. but then finally I managed a good cast.. in front of a rising trout.. he starts to come up towards it (I'm thinking.. PLEASE be looking at MY fly this time) and he takes it. At this point I'm SO excited but I remember all you guys saying you have to wait a second before setting the hook with dry flies.. so it takes every ounce of patience in me but I wait until he starts to go under again and set the hook... BAM.. FISH ON!!! Fought pretty good.. finally landed him.. a beautiful 22" rainbow.

Picture isn't that great.. (hard by yourself) but you'll notice he takes up the entire bottom of my net.. which I measured at 22".

CIMG1241.jpg

The guys that gave me the tip happened to be close by and heard me reel buzzing and were like "YEEAAAH!" and when I landed him "Oh man.. great fish, congrats!!" and I was like "THANK YOU!" haha.. So awesome.

Moral of the story.. 3 hours fishing.. only one hit.. but the pros went home empty handed today while the Fly Fish Calgary Joe stuck it out and landed a hawg rainbow!! :D

Beauty fish! hell of a first dry fly fish. Did you keep fishing or call it quits with the one? Anyways get back out there work on your hauls if you wanna pump that fly out there farther. Work on stopping your rod tip high..... like above your head height instead of driving the rop tip to the water. Remember smoothly accelerate to a STOP. There is no slowdown period you want the rod to accelerate and stop abruptly but smoothly. This will make your line turn over and when done right you stop the rod tip high the line turns over and then you lower the tip as the line falls nice and straight and gentle. your casting stroke does not have to be long, wild, or uber powerful. With good technique you can turn over a 30 foot line and leader with a very short stroke.

My first fish on a dry happened as I was trying to untangle fly line from my feet. The fish took the fly I had left on the water and when I finally straightened up the mess, I discovered I had a trout on! Cutthroat, obviously.

Your story is much better, Birchy! Nicely done.

HH

Sorry to burst your bubble here guys, but those pro's were not from BC. It may explain why they didn't catch anything.

http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic...&hl=Filming

Where are the dimebags from anyway???

Right. Dimestore Fisherman. I remembered hearing the guy say the website name when they were filming, but for the life of me I couldn't remember it when I was posting.

Well done birchy! Pretty cool spot that d bar d. Our guide had a fish finder on his boat and its over 100 ft deep there. Were you fishing from shore?

I was.. yes. About 10-15 feet from shore and the water was up to my chest! haha. Climbed up on a big boulder and was casting from there.