Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Good Books/dvd Recommendations....

Golfman09

I am looking for some good books and possibly DVD's to help with a couple of areas. Topics in either fly casting and entomology as well as fly tying. Anyone have any that they would recommend?

I have been fly fishing for about 3 years now but have just started reading more about the finer details of the sport. I feel like my basic casting is ok but would like to find a way to learning more about the different casts and styles, etc.

On the entomology side I have learned a small amount by trial and error but would like to have a larger pool of information to draw from when I am on the water.

Last spring I purchased ridiculous amounts of fly tying gear on ebay and would like to put some of that to used through the next few months. I bought the Orvis fly tying book and it looks like it may be helpful. However, I am stumped at just how some of the tools work.

If anyone knows of weekend seminars I would be very interested as well. I"m from Medicine Hat and haven't seen very much action around here.....but would definately make the drive If there were workshops that I could get to.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could pass along!

Some decent books I've found..

Hatch Guide for Western Streams- Jim Schollmeyer. Entomology.

Recipes- Brian Chan, Phil Rowley. Tying Stillwater patterns.

The Phenological Fly- Bob Scammell.

Nymphing- Gary Borger. Nymphing techniques.

Fishing Alberta's Trout Highway- Barry Mitchell. Guide to the Trunk Road.

If you are fishing at Bullshead a fair bit there are a a couple decent videos by Brian Chan on Chironomids, Shrimp, and Leeches. Shows techniques for fishing imitations, as well as their life cycles, etc.

Hope that helps.

I really liked Phil Rowley's DVD on fly tying and entomology, I would recommend that as well as the stillwater book he did with Brian Chan. There are a ton of videos out there for helping improve your cast. I really took a lot from Fly Casting - for better fly fishing produced by loop.

My wife's great aunt was out visiting for Thanksgiving, and was super impressed that I was starting fly fishing. Had a great visit with her, hopefully her enthusiasm for fly fishing rubbed off a bit on my wife, but after she left to go back home with the rest of my wife's family, I didn't really give it much more thought. Until we recieved a package from her a couple weeks later.

She sent me this:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Bean-U...n%2527%3aSports

The LL Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing.

Haven't really had MUCH time to flip through it, but from what I have seen it has been amazing. A text book on everything to do with fly fishing. Including Fly Tying.

for casting u cannot beat henrik mortensons dvd's he ahs 4 of them and they are un freakin believable.. covers everything single and double handed that there possibly is.... only vid's i watch too learn from......

I have to agree with max on this on. I espically liked the first two as they are really focused on casting. My fav. line my henrik is "YOU DON'T HAVE A PERFECT PRESENTATION OR CAST UNTIL THAT FISH IS ON THE END OF YOUR LINE"

For beginning fly tying I found the Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying by Leeson and Schollmeyer was really helpful. The Henrik Mortensen dvds are really good, but the way he handles fish makes me cringe. You may also have an uncontrollable urge to buy a two-handed rod after watching his videos. Surprised nobody mentioned any of the McLennan books - Blue Ribbon Bow, Trout Streams of Alberta, and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams. They all have good basic info on local entomology, reading water, rigging, and fly selection. I think Jim's books and Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road by Barry Mitchell are essential if you spend any time fishing in Alberta.

Surprised nobody mentioned any of the McLennan books - Blue Ribbon Bow, Trout Streams of Alberta, and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams. They all have good basic info on local entomology, reading water, rigging, and fly selection. I think Jim's books and Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road by Barry Mitchell are essential if you spend any time fishing in Alberta.

Absolutely.. Kinda misunderstood the question but have all three of these and they're excellent. Clive's also, my bro-in law has a copy I borrowed once, but have never seen it around. Clive, where can I find one?

• 2 months later...

I brought back from Canada the "Anatomy of a trout stream" from Scientific Anglers and kinda like that it summarizes most of those things I have read about rivers, hot spots, etc. Beware that this is probably a VHS reproduced on DVD (so looks like it was done in the 80s)! I wish to have some HDDVD/Blue-ray fly-fishing educational videos... It will come... or we just make one ourselves. :)

Thanks for all the recommendations!

For beginning fly tying I found the Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying by Leeson and Schollmeyer was really helpful. The Henrik Mortensen dvds are really good, but the way he handles fish makes me cringe. You may also have an uncontrollable urge to buy a two-handed rod after watching his videos. Surprised nobody mentioned any of the McLennan books - Blue Ribbon Bow, Trout Streams of Alberta, and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams. They all have good basic info on local entomology, reading water, rigging, and fly selection. I think Jim's books and Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road by Barry Mitchell are essential if you spend any time fishing in Alberta.

I have the Benchside... as well and think it is invaluable. Whenever I was wondering how they tie a specific feature of a fly, I just looked up there. It does not contain fly tying recipes, but all the techniques you may use to tie flies.