Fly Fusion Forums

Taser?

61 members have voted

1. 1. Tase?

• Yes
    • No

My bro is a cop. In training, he volunteered to get tazered. Long story, but the electrodes (or whatever they are) broke off in his spine. Had a free trip in the ambulance.

If you look at all the incidents, I think the actual manufacturer should be held more accountable for this product than the cops using them. It's a brutal job that is getting more and more difficult. You couldn't pay me enough money to be one, so to judge them is pretty difficult. Some people in general are jerks, but don't diss cops.

By the way, my brother said the tazer incident was still WAAAAY better than getting hit with pepper spray.

Birchy, I don't she was sleeping. Must have been reaching for something on the floor.....

I agree with Pipes, My uncle putting many years in the RCMP out in BC and the stories he has told me about pepper sprey, ouch man......... I also was lucky to be coming home from work a few years ago and was passing a female and male cop waking up a sleeping native man at the hertiage Ctrain station, anyways the grumpy natie after beeing woken up turns and point blank cracks the female cop in the face, *hit man the male peace officer pulls out the good old pepper srey and doses the rudly awaken native man. Man I got a whife of that and my eyes were on fire, poor native that had to suck ass.

Anyways about teasers, I agree that they are the way to go. Alot of these cases of people dieing from their use lets really look at why they were used. Teen goes on rampage, man on drugs.... and so forth and so forth, I belive if the police is their to protect us then they need the means to do so, much better then shooting the person or worse the officer beeing killed cause his billy club is tore out of his hands and he is beat to a blood plup.....

So again the question has to be asked, if the perpetrator was your 15 year old meth addicted daughter cranked all up and fighting with the cops would you want her to take a shot by a taser in order to be subdued, perhaps risking death?

Keep in mind that drug and alcohol addiction is considered a disease by todays definition, so essentially what would be happening is the cops would be tasering a person who requires medical help.

I mean come on, we even provide the dope and injection sites in this country so how can we condone the use on one hand and shoot with the other?

(I still say plug em with a .38 right through the eyes but that's just me....)

So again the question has to be asked, if the perpetrator was your 15 year old meth addicted daughter cranked all up and fighting with the cops would you want her to take a shot by a taser in order to be subdued, perhaps risking death?

Keep in mind that drug and alcohol addiction is considered a disease by todays definition, so essentially what would be happening is the cops would be tasering a person who requires medical help.

I mean come on, we even provide the dope and injection sites in this country so how can we condone the use on one hand and shoot with the other?

Damn right, better then her getting SHOT, which is what the cop is trained to react to do when a VOILENT offender comes after them, espically one that is wacked out on a speed related drug which is documented as giving the user super human strength.

By the way I don't belive in that *hit the drug and other addictions are a disease that is just a way for some people to hide the truth with something else.

I know what you mean by shot them weedy but unforntantly society would crucifie the poilce force if they did it, in the end, your damned if you do and your damed if your don't! Oh I just thought of this, you can't shot them cause if the police officer missed and hit some innoncent person, oh man oh man would the *hit hit the fan!

I'd say if my 15 year old daughter is addicted to meth, a taser blast is the least of her worries. Regarding pepper spray - check this video out, sometimes it is not that effective.

A Taser works immediately.

Click here if the movie does not play.

:thumbup:

I agree. I was reading an interesting article on my way in to work today. It spoke of how dangerous talking on cellphones while driving is.

Amazingly, while I was reading it a person, who was talking on his phone, cuts right in front of me. Luckily, I managed to swerve and miss him, but ended up spilling my coffee all over the back of my girfriend's head.

:thumbup::bow:

OK here is my opinion,

I fully agree with tazers, A police officer should have as many options as possible, before drawing his side arm.

1. in a physical comfrontation who knows what that scratch from a Johnny heroine will give you. at that point not only is the officer at risk but his family as well

2. I don't trust the training an average police officer receives with their side arm , there are many 25-30 year vetrans on the force that have never shot any thing but paper.(these are the good cops)

3. shooting in the Leg, can be just as lethal as a double tap to the chest ( can we say femoral artery), even a Hit with a 9mm can pass through a Tartget and cause cotllateral damage to innocent Civilians.

4. as training goes if the saftey is removed something is about to die, a firearm is used for lethal force period, and thinking anything less when you draw your weapon is just dangerous for all involved.

5. pepper spray can be just as lethal to any one with an allergy to pepper or capsasine (sp)

6. you use, you break the law, you don't comply those are your choices, a tazer blast is should be the least of your worries.

Just my .02

Teck

If your high on something, and you get shot in the leg, you will keep walking. Happens all the time someone is on something and they can not feel pain, ask any cop and they will either had to fight one off, or tried to pull one off the cop they are fighting. Tazers work in this situation cause the contract the muscles and the perp falls but gets back up of course, but give the cop a second to compose himself so he can further defend himself.

Man there's a lot of ignorant people out there... sad to see to be honest. Canada used to be such an educated, progressive thinking nation. No wonder we're losing so much respect around the world. It's clear we're only lagging behind the US' model - the government and the media is leading us down the same road of fear, ignorance, and thought-control. They really set a good model on how to control the people... I wish there was still pride in education and original ideas, but all I see is stuff like this more and more. In probably 10-15 years we'll be a war-loving, "tough-on-crime" "war on drugs" society too ahahahahahah I laugh but only to hide my sadness. Unfortunately by that time the USA will probably have moved passed those ideologies... and we'll be sort of alone in the world.

Crime rates have been decreasing for a very long time... yet the "news" reports nothing but murders and drug crimes to get everyone scared of the boogey man. I saw this begin in the 80s in the US and now here in the last 10 years...Meanwhile the US "war on drugs" is causing 10-15 times more deaths than the drugs themselves... And that's not including the deaths it's causing in Mexico and south america... THINK FOR YOURSELVES PEOPLE! LOOK THINGS UP! READ! The police don't need excuses to kill people, they're doing a fine job decreasing crime without killing, and I support all the police doing a good job in this nation. Years ago, even without those wonderful crime reducing magic wands called tasers, you were still doing a great job! We live in an extremely safe society, let's keep making it safe by more community projects and resources for the poor and substance abusers, instead of following the US models that have been shown to be useless against crime and harmful to society..... please! Let's stop this ignorance before it gets out of hand, we have a model to judge our actions on, let's use it.

If I had a tazer my place wouldn't of gotten vandlized, all my walls is spray painted lime green and bright orange, they poured gasoline everywhere on top of my things, everything i can sit on is cut into ribbions. all my fishen gear rots in gasoline. Thank-god I wasn't here or I would and my little dog would prob be dead for sure..

If I had a tazer, I would of tazered them but good..

I've looked on the net for a tazer. can buy on I see, but to get it to me is another story..

I would for sure put YES for the Tazers..

Thank-you.

If I had a tazer my place wouldn't of gotten vandlized, all my walls is spray painted lime green and bright orange, they poured gasoline everywhere on top of my things, everything i can sit on is cut into ribbions. all my fishen gear rots in gasoline. Thank-god I wasn't here or I would and my little dog would prob be dead for sure..

If I had a tazer, I would of tazered them but good..

I've looked on the net for a tazer. can buy on I see, but to get it to me is another story..

I would for sure put YES for the Tazers..

Thank-you.

OMG....I want to go buy a tazer for you. What a horrible thing to have happened. I'm glad you and your pup weren't there to be in the middle of it. But I'm also sorry it happened. That's awful.

Yes it is.. It's one of the worst things that can happen... My family were all scared.... we live SW calgary.. that weekend there was 100 break-ins..

We all live downtown in a nice condo, we'll be there 2 more months..

We think why we got broken into was it was dark, no lights on while we were away. been living there for many years and nothing has happened there..

'

The police have not done a thing and they really can't. They are so over whelmed with all the crime in Calgray.. I emailed a member on this board to see if he can take my hard drive outta my computer was smashed he said he might beable to but the insureance ppl took care of it.

It smells still of gasoline here.. all the carpets are ripped out.

We don't want to move back here were all really scared..

We now have alarm systum here.

When I go out I look on the bottum of kids shoes..looking for green and orange spray paint ... I've not seen any ... If I did.. I may have to ask questions than hurt someone..

I would wonder Why.. we all still Wonder Why.. why. why. why why ... shaken me head.. Why.....

eveyone take care, becarful. and be safe we are now..

Man that must be rough! Sorry to hear some like that happen to you. We moved into the Hamptons a few years back because we thought it was one of the safer neighborhoods. The week we moved in our neighbor was robbed at gun point in their home. You just can't get away from it I guess. Good luck getting things back on track.

What kind of cop can't handle a 15 year old girl? :D

Give 'em more time in the weight room and tazers won't be necessary - just give people resisting arrest a good ol crack in the jaw to drop them.

Man there's a lot of ignorant people out there... sad to see to be honest.

I agree. Ignorance abounds. Many people take their own opinions and present them as fact, even when a good deal of readily available information does not support those conclusions.

Canada used to be such an educated, progressive thinking nation. No wonder we're losing so much respect around the world.

Hey - did you happen to see what MacLean' has to say about our reputation?

TORONTO, Nov. 9 /CNW/ - Canada feels richer and more confident today than

it did 14 years ago. Canadians feel it, and much of the world does too,

according to a survey by Angus Reid Strategies for Maclean's of 20 countries

and their views on Canada and the world. The results are in sharp contrast to

1992, when the Angus Reid Group (now Ipsos Reid) conducted a similar survey of

13 of the same countries. Highlights follow with full details available in the

issue of Maclean's arriving on newsstands across the country starting today.

I wish there was still pride in education and original ideas, but all I see is stuff like this more and more.

Agreed. Back in 1981, an impressive 8% of the population had a university degree. By 2001 that number had shrunk to 15%. And last year it had fallen all the way to just under 20%. We must stop this trend.

I agree. Ignorance abounds. Many people take their own opinions and present them as fact, even when a good deal of readily available information does not support those conclusions.

Hey - did you happen to see what MacLean' has to say about our reputation?

TORONTO, Nov. 9 /CNW/ - Canada feels richer and more confident today than

it did 14 years ago. Canadians feel it, and much of the world does too,

according to a survey by Angus Reid Strategies for Maclean's of 20 countries

and their views on Canada and the world. The results are in sharp contrast to

1992, when the Angus Reid Group (now Ipsos Reid) conducted a similar survey of

13 of the same countries. Highlights follow with full details available in the

issue of Maclean's arriving on newsstands across the country starting today.

Agreed. Back in 1981, an impressive 8% of the population had a university degree. By 2001 that number had shrunk to 15%. And last year it had fallen all the way to just under 20%. We must stop this trend.

I'm sorry for not being clear. When I mentioned respect around the world for Canada I meant in terms of how people feel about Canada. I wasn't talking about if people thought Canada was richer or more confident. And honestly I think Macleans is one of the most biased "news" magazines I've ever seen, and I dont hold their stories with much weight. From all my friends travelling the world back in the 60's compared with the last 5-10 years, people are starting to see Canada as a second US, instead of a respectful, progressive, friendly nation. But of course that's only anecdotal.

And again I wasn't clear about what I meant by education. I wasn't judging by the percent of people with a university degree. I was judging by the amount of people who are free-thinkers and critical thinkers, people who may read and research news and current events other than what their local television news is saying. I think that compared with the past, people are much less educated on world events and much less critical of the news they are fed. More people are getting degrees because they mean less and less, hence why getting a bachelors these days doesnt really do much for you in terms of getting a job. By no means does getting a degree mean you're educated either, I've only met a few educated people throughout my whole university experience.

People tend to listen to anecdotal evidence that supports their views and disount evidence, anecdotal or not, that does not support. I would say the same thing about your choice of magazines. If the magazine does not support your position it is "biased". If it does support, then it's fair and reasoned.

I could say the same thing about critical thinking, or "educated" in general. Amazing how often the people we consider to be critical thinkers or eductated have views that align with our own. I would say the correlation approaches 100%.

Not critiquing your views actually. I think we all need to educate ourselves, though I would say finding an unbiased opinion today is damn near impossible. And I also don't think the majority is always, or maybe even often, correct. But just because the views are different than your own does not mean the people espousing those views are uneducted or non-critical thinkers.

And honestly I think Macleans is one of the most biased "news" magazines I've ever seen, and I dont hold their stories with much weight. From all my friends travelling the world back in the 60's compared with the last 5-10 years...

And again I wasn't clear about what I meant by education. I wasn't judging by the percent of people with a university degree. I was judging by the amount of people who are free-thinkers and critical thinkers.

I think that compared with the past, people are much less educated on world events

I agree Maclean's is left wing biased and thought you'd like that. I would have preferred a survey of ex-hippies who backpacked through Europe in the 60's, but couldn't find one. However, it should be easy to develop such a survey because the number of Canadians that claim to have backpacked through Europe in the sixties is only slightly exceeded by the number of Americans that claim to have attended Woodstock.

What you said initially was pride in education; what you described above is more a measure of intelligence. Two different things. A lack of intelligence can be masked by a certain level of education and the opposite is true as well. Most intelligent people would understand the difference between education and intelligence, but many educated people would not.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on your last statement and assume that you were standing too close to your friends from the 60's while they were exhaling. You cannot possibly believe that.

In conclusion, Tasers should be used (but only by educated policemen who smoke dope and can point out the country of Benin on a world map, while asking themselves, "Why if man evolved from monkeys and apes, do we still have monkeys and apes?")

In conclusion, Tasers should be used (but only by educated policemen who smoke dope and can point out the country of Benin on a world map, while asking themselves, "Why if man evolved from monkeys and apes, do we still have monkeys and apes?")

Damn, no taser for me. I fail on almost every count. And I'm sad to learn that the possibility exists that I'm educated, but not intelligent. Crap.

Benin? Cheated and found it on google.

Yes I definitely do believe that. At least the people I know from the last generation are much more well-versed and actively involved in world politics and national politics than my generation. I know that in the 60s young people across the country would protest injustice and protest for civil rights... my generation now, it's really rare to find anyone that knows about the torture policies of the US or the amnesty international reports or the UN reports on financial disparity in Canada and the US or the health disparity between different races in the US and Canada... much less would bother to do something about it or care when they do see things like that. I dont see the same lackadasical attitude back then as I do today. But again it could just be that the people I know from the previous generation were more passionate and took an interest for whatever reason in politics than the average joe. I just can't believe that though considering there were all those protests and movements during the same era........... and funny to me that the conservative right-wing of both the US and Canada think that its those pot-loving, love-making hippies from the 60s who are behind all these liberal ideas, when really its the professors, the physicians, the philosophers, the well educated of society. But if you wanna give all the props to the hippies, fine with me I know a lot of them who'd be proud to own all those ideals of justice and equality.

People tend to listen to anecdotal evidence that supports their views and disount evidence, anecdotal or not, that does not support. I would say the same thing about your choice of magazines. If the magazine does not support your position it is "biased". If it does support, then it's fair and reasoned.

I could say the same thing about critical thinking, or "educated" in general. Amazing how often the people we consider to be critical thinkers or eductated have views that align with our own. I would say the correlation approaches 100%.

Not critiquing your views actually. I think we all need to educate ourselves, though I would say finding an unbiased opinion today is damn near impossible. And I also don't think the majority is always, or maybe even often, correct. But just because the views are different than your own does not mean the people espousing those views are uneducted or non-critical thinkers.

rickr...if you don't stop making sense were gonna have to kick you off this forum.