Fly Fusion Forums

I'm Growing A Moustache To Fight Prostrate Cancer

Hello Everyone,

I thought this board would be a good place to post this due to the generosity it's members have exibited in the past. I am participating in a charity to raise funds for Prostrate Cancer by growing what is sure to be a hideous 'stache. This is a bit personal for me as my father, who just happened to be the guy who instilled my love of fishing, passed away from this deadly disease a couple of years ago. Anything anyone here can do to help would be more than appreciated. Below is the donation letter. Thanks in advance!

During Movember (the month formerly known as November) I'm growing a Moustache. That's right I'm bringing the Mo back because I'm passionate about tackling men's health issues and being proactive in the fight against prostate cancer.

To donate to my Mo you can either:

Click this link Donation Websiteand donate online using your credit card or PayPal account, or

Write a cheque payable to the ‘Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada', referencing my Registration Number 1945161 and mailing it to:

Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada

Attn: Movember

145 Front Street East

Suite 306

Toronto Ontario M5A 1E3

Donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.

The money raised by Movember is donated directly to the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada who will use the funds to create awareness and fund research across the country into prevention, detection and treatment, with a goal to ending the threat of prostate cancer.

Did you know:

Every year around 24,700 Canadian men are diagnosed with prostate cancer and about 4,300 die of the disease, making it the number one cancer threat to Canadian men.

1 in 7 men will develop prostate cancer in their lifetime.

All men over the age of 40 are potentially at risk and should talk to their doctor about the disease and early detection. Prostate cancer is 95% curable if detected and treated early.

For those that have supported Movember in previous years you can be very proud of the impact it has had and can check out the details at:

Fundraising Outcomes.

Movember culminates at the end of month Gala Partés. If you would like to be part of this great night you'll need to purchase Gala Parte' Tickets

Thanks for your support,

Rick.

My dad had prostate cancer in 92. Cancer free since.

My father was diagnosed in 95 I think. It was already out and they told him he had 10-12 yrs. He lived for 11. Had he had regular checkups this wouldn't have happened.

I actually got my yearly exam today. Yuck, but necessary.

As I get older I find that I, too, am growing a moustache. Not by choice though, I'm afraid. I've got a wicked body sugaring kit that takes care of that action so if'n when you wanna get rid of that puppy you just gimme a call and I"ll come a runnin', hot wax in tow. Oh what fun we would have....well one of us anyways.

Seriously....way to step up to the plate Rick. Being married to someone who is at the prime age for this disease makes me more aware of how easily this disease could affect our family. Thanks for bringing more awareness....we all need it.

Thanks Pipes! And Darren as well (sorry if you didn't want to advertise, but good deeds need recognition).

Pipes,

I have 3 good friends who have been through the surgery. All 3 are doing great and have been cancer free since. If they catch it early, the prognosis is really good.

Those of you over 50-GET CHECKED. If you have family history, then over 40 you need to get checked. Yearly. It sucks, but what the hell, better than a colonoscopy!

By the way, I am 155th in Canada in the rankings and moving up the leaderboard through some very generous friends (including Pipes and Pacreseltoro). I've also sent this to a bunch of heartless oilfield types. They are really stepping up as well. This is becoming very gratifying.

Sorry to hear of everyones losses, and sorry to stray from the topic a bit aswell. Does anyone know what the length hair needs to be to donate? Ive got a head full of hair and baby smooth cheeks haha

No prob flyon! No age or hair requirements are in place.

One week update:

My stache is trash. I'm not kidding. Whoever decided that I would be bald, grey haired and unable go grow hair with ANY color above my lip at 48 needs a stern talking to. Here it is, one week in:

pb120103ob7.jpg

My daughter is lobbying to dye it blond (actually Pink, but I shot that down. I have some pride)

pb120101hr2.jpg

Better, but I don't think I can get it that long in a month.

So, here is what I am going to do. Between this forum and my email list, I'm going to give my friends the chance to make the pick. I will dye it any color at the end of the month. My only rule is it has to be a natural hue. I have to be able to buy the color for a MEN'S dye. No blues, pinks, or any froofroo color. Most votes win. While you are at it, you can go to my website and donate a bit if you wish. No amount to small! Help me lead my group in money raised. I know Fly Fishermen can out donate a bunch of oil field and banking trash.

In all seriousness, this forum (with several notable, beautiful and welcome exceptions) consists mainly of men, many of which at or approaching an age where Prostrate Cancer is a serious risk. This is a great cause!

My Donation Site

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, folks!

Just thought I'd bump this important topic up for those who haven't yet gotten around to making their donation yet.

Rick's a valuable member of our FFC family raising money for a good cause; let's help out!

The fact that he will look ridiculous is just an added bonus ... :clapping:

Every little bit helps, my friends!

Later,

Steve

Any guy that can grow more nose hair than lip hair deserves to be supported in my book. I think. Kidding of course LOL

Our neighbour, 41 just got diagnosed with early stage prostate cancer last week. You could have knocked me over with a feather. He said he didn't show any symptoms at all and just felt "off" so went to get checked out. That's scary. This one seems to be an epidemic - it's worthy of the attention and support.