Fly Fusion Forums

Sweet Baby Jesus

PGK

I see it laying on WET rocks that are in the water... so no... I'm not gonna say anything. If it was up on those dry rocks away from any water, then yeah... I'd say something...

So if he starts flopping and bashing his head on the rocks.. wet ones are softer than dry ones?

Maybe I should've posted this in the shack nasties thread... ;)

well you make a good point, but fish smack crap all the way up the river and are OK. (jumping waterfalls on way to spawning creeks etc). However, if their protective slime coating is removed by something dry (dry HANDS, dry grass, dry rocks, laying on snow and freezing the layer off) etc.... then it's going to get diseased and more than liekyl die. It's better, yes BETTER for a fish to smack itself around a wet area like that, than lie calmly on a dry spot... it's also better where it is ......than in a soft mesh cradle either (as cradles can and do remove slime, though their better than a lot of other methods of handling). Only better spot for that fish would have been in a LARGE rubber net or cradle of some sort.

I think the most amazing part about that post is that there was a disagreement about the fish being rocked yet it remained incredibly civil on both sides (at least as of the last time I checked). Personally, I would've preferred if he hadn't posted the second pic. Just my opinion.

I think the most amazing part about that post is that there was a disagreement about the fish being rocked yet it remained incredibly civil on both sides (at least as of the last time I checked). Personally, I would've preferred if he hadn't posted the second pic. Just my opinion.

It's called maturity....

For which I will have no part of!!! ;mornCoffee:

Lots of big fish around this year, especially on the Kispiox but all throughout Skeena country.

I have a picture of a fairly chrome 41"er caught by a friend of mine not too far from where that fish was caught. Might post it later but should ask her permission first. As for the monster in the photo what a fish, the biggest I've heard of this year but have to say I don't think too much of the way it's laying out on the rocks to go through the whole measuring routine. Since fish breathe through their gills it's always best to keep them in the water. Measurements can easily be taken while leaving the fish laying in water deep enough to cover their mouth and gills. Not to pick at hairs but a fish laying like that one is while buddy messes around with his tape could injury itself if it started to flop around. Furthermore the fac t that the fish appears to be laying there all calm like suggests it was probably overplayed.It's bad enough that we drag them around by their mouths so always best to take every measure to ensure their safety once landed, especially when a fish is big enough to be subjected to the whole tape measure routine. 12# maxima is standard for swinging flies for Steel. You can pull freakin hard with this stuff and land fish quick enough that they kick hard enough to splash you in the face when released.

Preaching session over but truly a heck of a fish.

Brian Niska

Nice to see some big ones coming back, I remember a few years ago standing on the bridge going into the village and watching some huge fish holding just upstream. Biggest we got that trip was about 15lbs. Looking forward to the chance of another trip up there some day.

Colin