Fly Fusion Forums

Oct 25 & Not On The Bow

Jayhad

Wow it was chilly in calgary but nothing like in the foothills. Icy fingers, icy lines, icy guides and ice cold fish.

We hit the water at 830 and high tailed it to a proven few runs of river. I checked the air temp 2C, water temp not 0 not + 1 so cold, and when you get out of bed on a crisp morning you feel stiff, try being a cold blooded trout.

We saw a bunch of fish just chillin waiting for the next snack to drift, but it was so cold that they wouldn't move to anything unless it nearly flossed them.

We had little success until it started to warm up but we did manage a few hits. Fish for a while, sit by a fire fish a little while have a snack, you know how it goes you don't want to spookem in this clarity.

Around 1030 the holes started to get the sun on them and what do you know. The fish start looking more active I landed a small whitefish, 10-12". We then switch up of course and we get winston into his first bull.....

420 roles into the run and slams a really nice bull trout for the this time of year.

We decide to give this particular stretch some time to breathe and go just look around in the bush for a while maybe find a bear to fight, whatever.

After a far amount of BS and chocolate around the small fire we deecide its time to get back in.

Winston hooks a white fish we get some fish pauporotsy (sp) and the let it acheive it's destiny.... hopefully in to the belly of a large bull trying to get larger, Fish-on.

I head in and drift a few times through and round up another small bull.

By this time 420 has got the food on the fire and it is a treat today. I whiped up a marinade and onions, for the 3 large steaks Winston brought, 420 broiled them in beer and the marinade, we should name that dish meat pudding, that soft. For the veggies I prepped potato, carrot, onion, and heartstoppping amounts of BUTTER for a tin foil butter boil.

After eating like men should we decide to roll down river, what awesome water. I fall more in love with this province the more if fish. i ignorantly never though there was this type of diversity 4 years ago. Awesome canyon holes with cracks that must reach to hell, or 5ms. We only landed one more fish down stream but found some awesome holes for next season and finshed the day with a banana chocolate fondu over a small fire in an ultra protected little in cropping.... just thrilling.

I hope you like my pics, I was experimenting for the first time with my new polarized filter. I sure like the "cool" look.

Just as the sun pierces the trees. Maybe Sol with help break the ice that handcuffs my rod. winston

in the background.

IMGP1439.jpg

Winston, first bull...... thanks for getting in my shot 420, you dick

IMGP1446.jpg

Look, see that. That's not a budding goatee on his face, it's it's the emotion fishing.

IMGP1449.jpg

420 and his second bull trout.... fishing is a team event. If you can't have fun why fish?

IMGP1455.jpg

Right before lunch....mmm.... I hope tuesdays, shore lunch of bacon wrapped chicken is half as good.

IMGP1463.jpg