Fly Fusion Forums

Happy Kid

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Hi all

My oldest walks over and asks to try flyfishing after I had pounded the water for an hour only catching perch. I cast for him to the perch hole and hand him the rod. He starts twitching the leach and scud combo in and then the corky goes under. I shout set the hook thinking you have to be quick on them perch...even the 12 -14 inchers.

Then all of a sudden...kersplash....jump...jump...kersplash he hooks into a lake monster...

Check out this beast!

Cheers

Sun.

post-1649-1224983839.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
holy crap...nice bow!!

measured?

He had to measure it (3 or 4 times while in the water). We kept it in the giant tub of water for a few minutes while he:

1. Got his camera

2. Got a tape measure

3. Got mom to come see

Fish was safely and gently released to catch another day...hopefully not by a bait fisherman :-(

:-)

He just saw this post... The fish measurements are 21 inches long, 2 inches wide, 5 inches high...

Sun

P.S. I was just out trying myself and caught a 23 incher. Nice fat fish... No pics though cause it is do gosh darn cold this morning. The ice was clogging the guides.

WOW! nice fish!! was it from the shore or from a boat iv'e been thinking of getting out on chaparral but figured the fish would be deep this time of year. biggest fish out of chaparral this year was 8lb (so the story goes) they did stock trips 5 summers ago this being the fifth so maybe they could be that big by now...... i don't know much about trips. what are some good late fall tactics?

Guest Sundancefisher
WOW! nice fish!! was it from the shore or from a boat iv'e been thinking of getting out on chaparral but figured the fish would be deep this time of year. biggest fish out of chaparral this year was 8lb (so the story goes) they did stock trips 5 summers ago this being the fifth so maybe they could be that big by now...... i don't know much about trips. what are some good late fall tactics?

We are catching all the fish in less than 8 feet of water. So fishing along the shore should work fine. Slow retrieve of leaches or even slower presentation with a corky seems to work best. I am using a size 10 egg sucking leach. Red bead and black marabo wrapped body.

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
Sundancefisher is a great guide. He always tells me exactly where to cast to catch big fish...what a guy.

Jared, it sounds like you need a partner to take pictures of your big fish at Chap...I'm available.

don't take monger...he just catches all the fish... I on the other hand point them out like a german shorthair points a partridge!