Fly Fusion Forums

Suckers??

Kyle

anyone been getting suckers on the bow or any small streams within 2 hours of cowtown?? lookin to get a few 8-16 inch suckers for icefishing.

i know its an odd request but any leads would be great :angel:smail:

there's [unfortunately?] now a population of suckers in lake bonavista where i live, never caught one but have seen numbers of them. i suspect this winter will see a few pulled thru the ice, and i assume they are not a welcome addition to what is otherwise a pretty solid little meat fishery.

ice fishing for suckers for icefishing?

there's [unfortunately?] now a population of suckers in lake bonavista where i live, never caught one but have seen numbers of them. i suspect this winter will see a few pulled thru the ice, and i assume they are not a welcome addition to what is otherwise a pretty solid little meat fishery.

ice fishing for suckers for icefishing?

Dune,

I have lived in Bonavista (Right across from Andrew Sibble) since 88 and there has always been suckers in that lake, but I tell you what I took my 3 wt down there in the summer to practice some dry fly fishing and I caught two 24 inch tanks that I thought were going to break my poor little 3 wt.

Guest Sundancefisher
anyone been getting suckers on the bow or any small streams within 2 hours of cowtown?? lookin to get a few 8-16 inch suckers for icefishing.

i know its an odd request but any leads would be great :angel:smail:

Kyle...

You should now know the importance of not transporting fish from one water body to another. The result can devastate a fishery.

The live fish are the worst but dead fish can bring potential diseases and parasites with them. It is therefore not wise to transfer any fish between river or lake systems or watersheds.

Sun

Go to T&T market, the asian grocery store, they have every fish known to man. Including some really wierd stuff like suckers. Most come frozen and are certified for human consumption so you would not have the parisite problem one of the other board members brought up. $5 at T&T and you can spend the day trying for so sportfish rather then junkfish.

Matt

Remember if you are keeping a fish you have to kill it immediately and you can not keep baitfish from waters that are regulated with a bait-ban.

Harps,

Just curious if the fish and wildlife regulations be applied to a private lake, such as lake bonavista, I vaguly remeber when I was 13 the gate guard asking if I had a licence, but since I was under the age of 16 I didn't need one.

When I was younger around this time of year the irrigation systems get shut off, and a ton of suckers, etc. get trapped in the spills and structures. All the irrigation water either goes to, or comes from Lake Newell. My dad and others I knew would go around and net them, most were a good ice-fishing size. Catch a few good netfuls, and freeze them for winter use. As was mentioned, not a good idea for parasite concerns, etc to use them in other water bodies, I'm sure, but as they are found in high numbers in Newell anyway why not. We had a number of canals on our property where we could get them a short walk from home. The odd time you'd get some surprisingly large specimens of more desireable species turn up as well..

these suckers would be killed, and frozen as soon as i get home...

the idea of buying smelts at canadian tire is good except for the fact that they dont sell em big enough. Preferably I am looking for 12-16 inch suckers.

as for the transfering of diseases to other water sheds..I think a month in the freezer should solve that???

any other sucker hotspots would be appreciated ;)