Fly Fusion Forums

Grinding In Reel

fishpro

Quick question here, I was just checking my TFO Catridge Series reel, and noticed that there seems to be a bit of grinding associated with the drag. At the same spot in every turn, whether pulling line off or reeling in, there is some extra tension. Is this normally just caused by dirt or maybe lack of oil? Or is it something more serious? Thanks

Quick question here, I was just checking my TFO Catridge Series reel, and noticed that there seems to be a bit of grinding associated with the drag. At the same spot in every turn, whether pulling line off or reeling in, there is some extra tension. Is this normally just caused by dirt or maybe lack of oil? Or is it something more serious? Thanks

Had the same problem, just bring it to spring brook and they will replace the clutch, or you could call and see if they could ship you one.

That said i have 3 of em, and no problem except that and im hard on stuff.

I had exactly the same problem with my TFO reel. Is it a mayfly reel? If it is, or any other with a plastic spool for a cartridge, then what's happening is the line is getting wound too tight and bowing out the spool. When it does that, it drags on the reel body itself. The first time it happened, I brought it back to Wholesale (where I bought the rod/reel combo) and they replaced the spool and spun on some new backing and re-wound my line. Fixed the problem. Then about two or three weeks later, it happened again. At that point, I said :$*%&: it and I bought a new reel.

That particular reel is designed for fly fishing only. It is possible that it has been overloaded at some point.

This can be caused by a number of things, the most common of which is fishing with multiple flies at once. You haven't loaned it to anyone have you?

You such a funny guy Orvyboy...

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!! WARNING!!!!

FOR ALL YOU INEXPERIENCED FORUM USERS OUT THERE IN FISHY LAND, THE PREVIOUS POST BY ORVISONLY WAS A TROLL. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT RESPOND TO THE TROLL

That particular reel is designed for fly fishing only. It is possible that it has been overloaded at some point.

This can be caused by a number of things, the most common of which is fishing with multiple flies at once. You haven't loaned it to anyone have you?

What's that sound? It's almost like an annoying mosquito.. or.. no. Must be just me.. it's gone now.

Fishpro - you might want to pick up some of the "Blue Goop" from Wholesale..

Hi It could be your reel inside needs a good cleaning... I was getting the same thing myself, twice a year I clean my rod and reel, take it in the shower and scrub it down with a old toothbrush.. mild soap and water...

:spam:

A self described "purist", yet in application trolls almost exclusively. I anoint thee with a more appropriate handle; "willow-leafandwormsonly"

Ayr.

Guest RedWiggler

lolololol!!!! :peesout:

Just like everything else in life. If you buy cheaper stuff you get crappy performance. I'm not saying its the poorist quality but "you get what you pay for" is what i'm trying to say.

I bought a teton reel and its garbage. Never again i say.

Hopefully Islander will come out with a multi-fly reel soon.

This has happened to me in teh past on my Scierria large arbour reel, As this reel is a sealed disc drag unit I simply dip it in the river and strip a few lengths of line off, that usually seems to blow any dirt out of the reel with out taking th ething apart. Its easy I always try that first.

Matt