Fly Fusion Forums

Bug-eyed Stone

Conor

I had the idea for this this spring. I have used it here and there this season. Every time out nymphing, it has been the fly of the day for me.

A super fast and simple tie.

73dm5g.jpg

33voscy.jpg

Hook: worm-style (size to match naturals)

Thread: color to match head

Eyes: dumbbell (medium to large)

Dubbing: your choice; color to match natural

Ribbing: heavy wire (color of choice)

Tails/Legs: rubber (color of choice)

Secure your eyes behind the eye on the top of the hook shank. Tie in your tail and then your ribbing. Dub abdomen. Keep it sparse. Wrap rib. Tie in legs. A few dub wraps between the legs and one or two in front and one each way over the eye (end up with one half to one wrap in front of the eye). Build a head and whip.

I have been using #6-8 Mustad worm hooks, olive 6/0 thread, large brass eyes, heavy gauge copper wire, gold Ice Dub and black and white rubber legs for this pattern. It is a great golden stone nymph.

That'll catch some fish!

You could even add more legs. I've experimented with some "stones" a friend ties and we've found that it doesn't look like you can have too many legs! I don't know the names of any tying material, but the legs on the ones I've been using were solid brown and not rubber. Like floss, only stiffer? Anyway, the idea is the same as yours. "Impressionism" at its best!

My premise for this tie was a fast, simple stonefly that offers some basic characteristics of the natural while giving a different profile than your typical Bitch creek or Kauffman's. There are plenty of add-ons that could be made (more legs, shell back, wing cases etc etc), but I haven't noticed a difference in performance with fancier versions.

I fish a lot of my own patterns, mostly variations of patterns that work no better than the original, but are a bit more stimulating to tie. I posted this one because it seems to me this one works better than other stonefly patterns. I'd be interested to have some guys that put a lot of time on the water really test this one out.

I typically high-stick this through pockets and seams. Hold on tight to your line ;)