Fly Fusion Forums

Does The "system" Work?

Well, I phoned RAP tonight to report an infraction, and was told by the CO that "there is no bait ban on that stretch of the bow river", "You can use bait until a certain date, and then you can only use maggots." After I read him the regs over the phone, he recanted with "Oh, I thought you meant below the WHD weir", "because you can use bait there." "I'm a ways out from your location, so I might make it, OK." That was that, and I'm not making this up guys. Wow, am I dissapointed. :angry:

I tried this weekend out by Cochrane and the results were less than successful. They called me back an hour later saying you could use bait in the Ghost reservoir. I explained that while this was true, these guys were using minnows in the river. Just a miscommunication I'm sure, but the whole experience left me feeling like it just wasn't a priority to them. I'm sure they're busy, and I know they can't catch every poacher, but I ALWAYS see guys using bait there, and it steams me so bad.

Guest bigbadbrent

better that you report it and get pissy, then not report it and just let the guys get away with it. A lot of the time they're using computers and stuff to communicate between the RAP and the CO's, so miscommunication is pretty easy to do.

Brutal story esleech. Hopefully you'll have better response if you need it in the future. I think it's worth calling it in to a supervisor though. Maybe this guy isn't a good fit, they need to know things like that in order to help this guy out or send him packing.

Man I hate hearing stuff like that. I can't believe you had to read him the regs over the phone. Stories like this make you think the system is failing. Just my opinion though. I'd like to see the CO's doing more patrols on the river. I haven't been checked for my license this year nor did I get checked all of last year. Tough to catch the guys if your not out there looking for them.

By the sounds of it they do a much better job of checking outside of the city I have had to show my license atleast 4 or 5 times already this year (3 at the upper and lower k lakes) Had my hooks checked everytime but once and he did ask if they were crimped (they were) and he took my word for it, but he had also checked me once before. And after discovering that not only my hook but the 3 guys who I met at the lake and were fishing with my flies were all fishing crimped. Maybe it was a show of goodwill as he told me that day that we were the only people he had checked all day that had crimped barbs.

Anyways I think most of these guys are doing as good a job as they can and I would hazard a guess that it is a fairly high stress job. You might have just caught this guy on a bad day..... None the less your story sucks but don't lose faith in them all just because of 1 guy 1 day.

Well, I'm cooled off today, and I have the distinct feeling this guy is an exception to the rule. As for calling the supervisor...meh. Honestly, If I called the supervisor every time I heard misinformation from a C.O. I would have quite the phone bill. I've been told "use pike belly as bait", "there's bull trout in here?", and various other goofy things, but what can you do...they probably are great at their job otherwise...if that makes sense. :blink:

An interesting note for you guys. In all my years of fishing, I've been checked by Fish and Wildlife officers once. On the other hand I've been checked by Park Rangers (now called Conservation Officers) at least half a dozen times. Places like K Lakes and Fish Creek that's very likely who's doing the checking. What that says, I'm not sure.

An interesting note for you guys. In all my years of fishing, I've been checked by Fish and Wildlife officers once. On the other hand I've been checked by Park Rangers (now called Conservation Officers) at least half a dozen times. Places like K Lakes and Fish Creek that's very likely who's doing the checking. What that says, I'm not sure.

I haven't been checked in years. Do they want to see your WIN card, or do they want to see the cash register reciept as well?

For the calls that I have made this season, no convictions were made, no officers showed. So I think I will have to say, NO...RAP program is not working at all. Poaching is rampant and unchecked on the Bow river. I have not seen a F&W officer in over two years and I have been out on the river nearly 500 times during this period. If they are trying to be invisible, it's working.

Edit...

If the RAP program is underfunded, understaffed by a few good people trying their best, which is the case in my view, then the calls we make to RAP reporting violations, may still be of benefit in attaining proper funding and resources to improve the situation in the future. It's obvious that some of us are fustrated by the untimely responses, but we need to continue to provide F&W the information, as we are the eyes and ears they need on the water everyday. So keep calling RAP...It's all we have, so we need to try and make it work.

heard it all before...i dont really cal much more jstu get confrontational...someones gotta chase em off

I agree with Max on this one.

I personally don;t have a phone so I say screw it, its time to start protecting the river.

Guest bigbadbrent

why not call, and if they can't do anything, then do something.....you guys are gonna regret the day you beak someone off, and they punch you in the face...

ohh, and i got a call back from the CO that went and got those 2 guys using worms, he called me personally to say thank you and wishes there were more people that would keep up the work of protecting our rivers by letting them know whats going on when they're not around.

why not call, and if they can't do anything, then do something.....you guys are gonna regret the day you beak someone off, and they punch you in the face...

ohh, and i got a call back from the CO that went and got those 2 guys using worms, he called me personally to say thank you and wishes there were more people that would keep up the work of protecting our rivers by letting them know whats going on when they're not around.

And your reward?

If you have no phone like me you can;t call, so its just as bad as doing nothing. And if you think I go over all crazy eyed you need to think again. I say hey you know bait not allowed on this river.... etc, etc, etc........

If you give no reason for violence, violence should not happen, its all about karma.

Guest bigbadbrent
And your reward?

was a bait charge, no reward for catching them using bait. Had he found poached fish it'd be a different story. but then again, he got there before they could kill anything, so i dont mind

do you really need a reward?

brent all i do is inform. i dont have a problem with spinfisherman if there playin the rules and if its a flyfisherman poachin im talkin too them too. im not looking for a fight but theres alot of people who dont know and most who do usually leave shortly after letin em know what there doin is wrong

If you have no phone like me you can;t call, so its just as bad as doing nothing. And if you think I go over all crazy eyed you need to think again. I say hey you know bait not allowed on this river.... etc, etc, etc........

If you give no reason for violence, violence should not happen, its all about karma.

You can call when you get home to a phone. You just need time, location, descriptions, etc.

Every call counts, even after the fact. Its not just about catching these idiots, its about showing the gov't that F&W needs funding and we care about the rivers!

was a bait charge, no reward for catching them using bait. Had he found poached fish it'd be a different story. but then again, he got there before they could kill anything, so i dont mind

do you really need a reward?

I don't think a reward is necessary, however I'm sure more people call knowing it benefits them in some way whereas if it didn't they wouldn't call. We live in a selfish world so there needs to be incentive for people. True lovers of the rivers and lovers of the sport have different motives, maintaining the wonderful rivers and the fisheries. Either way the call gets made no matter what motive and hey, if some need the motive of a reward, great, at least the calls get made.

As it has already mentioned, I agree, we are the eyes and ears for the COs. They can't be everywhere all the time and since they have a ton to do other than watch the Bow river if we don't speak out there will never be added resources. If we keep calling it in, even if there is no response, an argument can be made for more enforcement and funding, etc. With no call the other argument can be made and cuts in enforement and funding could result. Keep calling guys no matter the outcome. It'll all pay off in the end.

Oh yeah and don't forget to punch the poachers in the back of the head! They don't see it coming and you can run away before they realize what the heck is happening. LOL!

Be on the look out for other means of poaching while you are out...

IMGP2035.jpg

Found in a log on the shore of a river. An effective bait rig that is out of sight for the most part... trout takes bait deep, stays on the line until the poacher is clear to look.