Fly Fusion Forums

Does The "system" Work?

I've seen a couple similar things out here Harps. It makes it pretty hard to catch someone. I came across one with a fish on. The fish was safely released. It was very tired, and I think it would have died on the line if it was there much longer. These things almost warrant a steak out.

You can call when you get home to a phone. You just need time, location, descriptions, etc.

Every call counts, even after the fact. Its not just about catching these idiots, its about showing the gov't that F&W needs funding and we care about the rivers!

No offence Harps but calling 5 or so hours afterwards is very ineffective, I've told Rap and the C.O's all the hot spots for pochers and what not and yet it still happens for whatever reason. I feel that if I don't go over there and say something then its just as good as doing nothing, I can stop the person from killing 1 trout or letting them kill 10 trout. 90% of the time it is just people that do not know the regs or are misinformed, and like Max said, they pack up and leave.

As Stwarts of the river it is our job to educate people to what the regs are and not sterotype them as BAD PEOPLE, they could just be vactioning out here and where they are from are allowed to use Bait/keep fish, I work with a guy that just moved here from Finland and he was surprised to hear that you are not allowed to spot light fish or use bait or keep all you catch, I asked him if he read the regs and he said he was never given one when purchasing his licence, weather that was true or not doesn;t matter.

Does my co-work deserve to be labelled as some of you have labelled other people, I think not, but if I didn't say anything and just called him in hours latter who knows how many trout he may of killed.

No offence Harps but calling 5 or so hours afterwards is very ineffective, I've told Rap and the C.O's all the hot spots for pochers and what not and yet it still happens for whatever reason.

More calls will increase funding to the RAP program and officers. Ineffective for that poaching event or not, call the number to show that we need officers.

Be on the look out for other means of poaching while you are out...

IMGP2035.jpg

Found in a log on the shore of a river. An effective bait rig that is out of sight for the most part... trout takes bait deep, stays on the line until the poacher is clear to look.

not neccesarily used for poaching. I used to use that rig when i spinned fished the N.Sask when i was young. we'd throw a nail on and two wet flies placed above it. whities couldnt resist it.

Boy things have changed over the years,when I fished the Bow down below the 22x you could count on being checked by a warden at least once a week.Twice in a two week span I was checked by two different wardens who were under cover,they walked the bank in waders and flyrods,would strike up a conversation for a couple minutes"How's the fishing?Catching any?"and then ask you to produce an angling licence.And yes they would identify themselves as a game warden with proof of their I.D.

I loved it,poachers don't see it coming.The second time I was checked I pointed out a couple of Asian guys downstream who were over limit and bait fishing.The warden sauntered down and did what I described above.He nailed em good,they each got a summons and their equipment was confiscated along with the fish(evidence).

Now I rarely get checked,last winter was the first time in years and we were ice fishing on Burntstick.Bout the only time I see F&W is in big game checks.Which reminds me of a pretty funny story that happened to me and a couple pards last Sept.

We were rifle hunting for elk down on Smith Creek S.W. of Pincher.My two partners managed to get sprayed by a very pissed off skunk,(there's alot more to this story but I'll leave it at this) he nailed em with everything he had.When we got back to the truck they took off everything they could in modesty and we headed down the road back to camp.Got a couple miles down when a warden going the other way hit us with his lights and stopped us.I was laughing and gagging as he approached the truck cause I knew this was going to be interesting.The warden stepped up to the driver window and got hit full on with the scent of ode to wood p u s s y.His eyes teared up immediatly and he turned away from the truck.He asked us to get out,me fully clothed and my pards in their skivies and we're all busting a gut now.He finally gained his composure and asked us how the hunting was then asked us to produce our licences,which he was hesitant to touch.Now a warden will usually want to inspect any firearms that are in view to make sure they aren't loaded,they're not.He didn't want to get any closer to the cab of that truck than he had to.He took down the plate number of the truck and said to have a good day.We ran into him again the next day and my freind told him we were skunk hunting and had he seen any,that got a good laugh.A week later a Waterton park warden we know was hunting the same ridge when he was charged by the same skunk.He was able to kill it and found out it had a broken front leg.

seems they use to check lots below 22x, i found policemans and mc flats were patrolled quite alot..only seen them in the city regularly last couple years though..thats where most of the poaching goes on IMO

asked to produce my licence only twice so far this year out of approx 40 days on the Bow...

Do they want to see your WIN card, or do they want to see the cash register reciept as well?

They want to see neither...your win card simply puts you on the system and enables you to purchase licenses for fishing and or hunting. As for the cash reciept...that money goes back into the hobby you enjoy. I have a problem with the CO that I called, but no problem with supporting my passion...you sound like you do though. :mellow:

They want to see neither...your win card simply puts you on the system and enables you to purchase licenses for fishing and or hunting. As for the cash reciept...that money goes back into the hobby you enjoy. I have a problem with the CO that I called, but no problem with supporting my passion...you sound like you do though. :mellow:

Actually not true.Last year when I got checked while ice fishing I didn't have my licence on me,still in my fly pack :rolleyes: .The warden checked my WIN and was able to confirm that I did buy a licence.I know that I should've had it on me but he cut me a break.

Actually not true.Last year when I got checked while ice fishing I didn't have my licence on me,still in my fly pack :rolleyes: .The warden checked my WIN and was able to confirm that I did buy a licence.I know that I should've had it on me but he cut me a break.

Besides the point. You got lucky, and he didn't ask for "liscense and win card please".

they don't ask for WIN cards....period

I have been asked to see my licence and WIN card on a couple of occasions, so I would have to say yes, and it is manditory that you purchase one every five years so I diffently could see them asking to see this, I belive however, they can not fine you if you do not have one!

I have also heard from a bunch of relabile people that have told me that in a couple of years no more paper licence, too easy to get wet and wrecked, and everything will be computerized with the WIN card acting like your drivers licence. Yes you still have to buy a licence every year but they are taking away the excuses, oh I fell in the river and have this mushy one!

Guest bigbadbrent

That'd be a lot better, i know my licence is in a plastic bag, but i dont carry my WIN. Hell, i dont even know if i have my WIN, i just go in and say i dont know where it is, give them my drivers and still get my licence, since i have bought a WIN, all my info is there

The common misconception people have about making phone calls late is that people will not get caught. So what...... are you aware of how funding is allocated? The more call in's you guys make about violations on the Bow river (wether it's in time to nail the guys OR wether it's 4 days after the fact) will be a MAJOR determining factor as to how the enforcement budget and staffing gets set up in future years. Make the calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!