Fly Fusion Forums

Lorney's Big Mean Cutty Eatin' Machine

jksnijders

Spooked this guy out from an undercut bank on the way back upstream. We weren't sure what it was as neither of us saw it, just the splash and the smoke trail as he high-tailed it away. Later in the day caught a cutt in a nearby riffle, it ran near some broken water and BAM. All I got back was a corkscrewed tippet. Streamer time.. but no dice. Came back 2 more times, third time was a charm when Lorney nailed him. Taped 28.5 inches. And it took 2 days for the grin to come off Lorney's face... Got video of the whole show, if I can ever outsmart this camera I'll try to upload.

post-1598-1221255194.jpg

No pepper spray needed. He did lift his head and bite me though after taking the hook out to release him. Even drew blood. Almost to kind of get me back for catching him. It was a great trip with good company and all the beautiful scenery and good fishing was captured by Kyle in awesome pics and memories. Kyle even got some great video of the whole trip. Will definately have to do it again. We both learned alot about fishing for these beasts and a few late nights at the vise to create some interesting streamers.

They're easy to find and catch when they're spawning...they'll pretty much hit any fly that drifts by them...that's why you should just leave them be and let them spawn. :rolleyes:

Exactly

You're fishing for a spawning bull trout (notice the colors, thats how the alberta bulls get colored when they're spawning.) A fish of that size is very old and you're bugging it as it hangs out near what appears to be good redd water.

Anyone congratulating you should be smacked, and you should stop searching for bulls this late in alberta. There have been MANY posts about how the bulls are already spawning

So everyone reading this, take this as a hint..Leave the old toads alone!!

Anyone congratulating you should be smacked, and you should stop searching for bulls this late in alberta. There have been MANY posts about how the bulls are already spawning

So everyone reading this, take this as a hint..Leave the old toads alone!!

Ok then...

No more steelheading (anywhere except on the salt)

No fishing for salmon anywhere (except in the salt)

No fishing the Bow, Crow, Highwood, OMR, Castle, etc, etc at all during Mar-May and Sept-Nov

If you have a problem fishing for staging or spawning fish or think that you're above it, then you don't do it. The rest of us will leave that determination to the folks who set the regs. How do you know that bull was spawning and not staging? Just by the color? :rolleyes: That fish isn't near as dark as some of the other ones I've seen posted here. Funny how when Jay (humble) posted that pic no one dared to try to give him hell for doing what these guys are.

That's a damn fine bully man, especially for Alberta. Love the bear spray in the pic too.

Thanks rusty. Not trying to cause any problems here on the board. This bully was alone in the pool and following cutties and whities around. Assumed was still feeding and preparing to go spawn. At what time should a person quit fishing for these guys? Caught lots of cutties and alot of other bulls in sizes from 10" to 24". These bulls were not as easy to catch or to get a strike from as one would think. Maybe it was lack of skill but we had to work for them. I know what you are saying about steelheading, salmon fishing and fishing for rainbows stacked up for spawning. Alot of people fish the Bow in the spring when the rainbows are preparing to make their journey. Should we all wait until June to start fishing the Bow so we don't harass them. Some might say they are fishing for Browns but they know that they will also catch rainbows. I don't know. Who am I to judge. I can tell you this bull was in a pool still chasing cutties and I did not pull him off a redd. He took me down to that water while I was fighting him. Sorry for posting the pictures if some were offended. I was kind of excited about catching him because he refused alot of different streamers and presentations but now I am kind of deflated.

Ok then...

No more steelheading (anywhere except on the salt)

No fishing for salmon anywhere (except in the salt)

No fishing the Bow, Crow, Highwood, OMR, Castle, etc, etc at all during Mar-May and Sept-Nov

If you have a problem fishing for staging or spawning fish or think that you're above it, then you don't do it. The rest of us will leave that determination to the folks who set the regs. How do you know that bull was spawning and not staging? Just by the color? :rolleyes: That fish isn't near as dark as some of the other ones I've seen posted here. Funny how when Jay (humble) posted that pic no one dared to try to give him hell for doing what these guys are.

That's a damn fine bully man, especially for Alberta. Love the bear spray in the pic too.

Thanks rusty.

A month ago that bull wouldn't have had that brightly coloured underside. There's a difference between chasing fish and fighting against a drag on a reel. And they're spawning right about now, so it might not be a terrible idea to give them a break from about late August to the end of September. You're right though, to each their own. If you want to continue fishing for and catching bulls during their spawn then be my guest. I just don't think it's a good idea to harass fish when they're about be sitting on redds.

Jmasson,

We are not completely ignorant, but thanks for all the tips. I've seen many bulls caught earlier in the year that were also very dark. Some of which were posted here. That was the point of the statement. I believe age is a factor in fish appearance also. If there had been any indication of females in the vicinity, or that there was pairing up and redd activity, no attempt would have been made at it. Lorne holds a degree in biology so I am comfortable with his judgement. At no time in any of our fishing is the health or welfare of the fish put secondary. Ever. This area was well scouted out, and the fish was actively feeding, obviously, and no pairing up, redd activity, or females were seen anywhere in the area. I just read an interesting article on the Highwood survey, check it out. This post wasn't put up to start any arguments, nor do I particularly care to wast any time engaged in any. I want my grandchildren to be able to fish for all the species I myself enjoy pursuing so much. That being said, myself, and Lorne also wouldn't think of doing anything to jeopardize that. And if the regs were changed to state that one cannot fish for Bulls at that time of year I would gladly abide by them. As for this fish being "easy to catch" this was most certainly not the case...

Jmasson,

We are not completely ignorant, but thanks for all the tips. I've seen many bulls caught earlier in the year that were also very dark. Some of which were posted here. That was the point of the statement. I believe age is a factor in fish appearance also. If there had been any indication of females in the vicinity, or that there was pairing up and redd activity, no attempt would have been made at it. Lorne holds a degree in biology so I am comfortable with his judgement. At no time in any of our fishing is the health or welfare of the fish put secondary. Ever. This area was well scouted out, and the fish was actively feeding, obviously, and no pairing up, redd activity, or females were seen anywhere in the area. I just read an interesting article on the Highwood survey, check it out. This post wasn't put up to start any arguments, nor do I particularly care to wast any time engaged in any. I want my grandchildren to be able to fish for all the species I myself enjoy pursuing so much. That being said, myself, and Lorne also wouldn't think of doing anything to jeopardize that. And if the regs were changed to state that one cannot fish for Bulls at that time of year I would gladly abide by them. As for this fish being "easy to catch" this was most certainly not the case...

That's a great fish, congrats to both of you it looks like you had a great time. I would not sweat the zealots, every crowd has them to some degree or another.

cheers,

al

nice fish guys!

bigbrown.

here is a reed study done by trout unlimited. click..

they did the studies the last week of september and by that time the fish were off the reeds and had moved back down.

who is to say this fish has not already made the trip? maybe this bull spawns every second year as it states in the article that some do....

btw only a small amount of reeds were found below the closed areas on the highwoood sheep and elbow.

Fish laying on the gawddamn rocks is a lot more pressing than someone holding a nice bull trout OVER the water for the pics....

If your gonna bitch at this bull trout, just simply stop fishing. If it's +30C and the water temps 65-70 on the Bow.... I'll bet I can still find you on the Bow somewhere.... your doing JUST as much harm if not more.

I'll also never want to see you on a steelhead stream...

Or fishing for pike in the spring...

Or fishing for ANY BROWN TROUT ANYWHERE right now as there getting ready to spawn soon... Oh yeah that means the ENTIRE bow...

I mean dude..... hit the real issues like people leaving there *hit all over the place and leaving fish on rocks for pictures... we can ALL agree that's doing harm....

Fish laying on the gawddamn rocks is a lot more pressing than someone holding a nice bull trout OVER the water for the pics....

If your gonna bitch at this bull trout, just simply stop fishing. If it's +30C and the water temps 65-70 on the Bow.... I'll bet I can still find you on the Bow somewhere.... your doing JUST as much harm if not more.

I'll also never want to see you on a steelhead stream...

Or fishing for pike in the spring...

Or fishing for ANY BROWN TROUT ANYWHERE right now as there getting ready to spawn soon... Oh yeah that means the ENTIRE bow...

I mean dude..... hit the real issues like people leaving there *hit all over the place and leaving fish on rocks for pictures... we can ALL agree that's doing harm....

Amen!