Fly Fusion Forums

A Friendly Reminder About Bears

mwalters

I got an email today from my friend at Bow Valley Wildsmart. She said that the bears are moving down to the lower parts of the valley & along the river & creek sides to feed on Dogwood berries. It will be harder for them to hear you coming over the sound of the water so there is a greater chance of a surprise meeting.

I co-wrote an article for the newspaper last year on bear safety while fishing. If anyone's interested, or needs a reminder on avoiding encounters, I'll track it down & email or post it.

I got an email today from my friend at Bow Valley Wildsmart. She said that the bears are moving down to the lower parts of the valley & along the river & creek sides to feed on Dogwood berries. It will be harder for them to hear you coming over the sound of the water so there is a greater chance of a surprise meeting.

I co-wrote an article for the newspaper last year on bear safety while fishing. If anyone's interested, or needs a reminder on avoiding encounters, I'll track it down & email or post it.

what timing I met my Grizzly buddy that I see every year on the Castle just yesterday.

Just as I found a nice run too he crossed the river about 200 yards in front of me. so ended my day on the Castle - figured he was ther first so i let him keep the run

what timing I met my Grizzly buddy that I see every year on the Castle just yesterday.

Just as I found a nice run too he crossed the river about 200 yards in front of me. so ended my day on the Castle - figured he was ther first so i let him keep the run

Bernie...did you tell your wife about this one!!! Maybe fishin with you is a bad idea after all. good to hear it was a friendly encounter.

Mike

Bernie...did you tell your wife about this one!!! Maybe fishin with you is a bad idea after all. good to hear it was a friendly encounter.

Mike

no i didnt tell her she would be real unhappy to hear this one

I am off to the Highwood in the morning - hope i live!

damn fish better be good

That's intense, was it a big one?

So ya'll quit fishin' and leave the valley when ya spot a bear???? Cool, never thought of that....

I pack it in if I see fresh scat. I'd say it's smart to err on the side of caution when you're near carnivorous animals that can weigh upwards of 500 pounds, but that's just me...

A good friend of mine's partner (both are Mtn Guides out of Golden) was attacked by a griz this summer. He was lucky to only receive 20 sutures!! The photos were brutal!!

So it does happen!!

P

Each to his own, Rottweilers and pitbulls kill and maim people too but I'd no more leave town because I saw a couple loose dogs runnin' around. I've spent my workin' life around animals that can kill me in a moment of inattention or carelessness but I feel no need to leave the valley. Pay attention and read the signs, make the necessary adjustments and continue on. Course thats just me......

B) B)

Guest Outcasts

Does everybody not carry a can bear mace? Ive been hit with the stuff once and ill tell you any thoughts about fight/flight become flight only that *hit is strong!!!! Any time i go hunting/fishing in remotish areas that are possibly bear inhabited its packed before my rod. Snakeman i dont know if leaving the area right away is necessary unless the hair on the back of you kneck is standing on end, always trust instinct.

I pack it in if I see fresh scat. I'd say it's smart to err on the side of caution when you're near carnivorous animals that can weigh upwards of 500 pounds, but that's just me...

Have to correct you on this one (sorry). Bears are actually omnivores, not carnivores. In the Bow Valley the bears diet is 75-80% vegetarian. They are however 'opportunistic' feeders & will eat meat or whatever else they can sink their teeth into. Most of there meat intake though is ground squirrels or carrion. They need such a huge daily calorie intake (200,000) to sustain them during hibernation that they don't often expend the energy to try taking down a large animal. That's not to say they won't, they just prefer to take the easier meal that take less energy to obtain.

As for the bear spray, take it! and learn how to use it. Some people make the mistake of 'testing' their can out to make sure it's working. I call it a mistake because there are 2 downsides to doing this. First, your most potent spray is the initial one. So if you try it out you're wasting your best defense. Second, the cans tend to leak slowly past the valve after the first discharge.

I've been spending my last 2 summers as a volunteer for Alberta Parks, Friends of Kananaskis & BV Wildsmart talking to people about avoiding contacts & how to handle them if they do occur. If anyone wants any tips on properly using bear spray or any other information just let me know. Information regarding recent bear activity & information on avoiding encounters is available to the general public at bvwildsmart.ca

Hey "Big Bad Brown" How was the fishing on the Highwood this Sept? Thinking of hitting it on the weekend.

fishing was decent.

didnt really fish for cutties much most of our time was spent hunting bulls

we saw a few bigger bulls but only managed one around 24 the rest in the 20 range

the last day i went(sunday) with the intent of fishing for cuts.

i was rigging my rod up and snaped the tip.

it must have been fractured or something maybe from hitting it on sharp shale or something down there.

so i was forced to fish streamers for the day.

there were lot of mayflys later afternoon.

they were brown but have no clue what they were. maybe size 12-14

goodluck this weekend.

I tried to upload the article for you but the file size is to large...sorry :(

Try cut and pasting it to here... unless it will really wreak the formatting.

About testing bear spray....

Everybody should go and look at their can. If it is old or nearing the date test spray it.

You need to know how it shoots (some comes out in a spray, some in a mist, etc).

Then garbage that can.

It works (used it on bears 3 times). Of course, the best prevention is like Taeke mentioned... know your *hit and pay attention.

I don't carry a gun or a big knife (useless) and leave my spray at home most of the time.

IMGP5824.jpg

This gal was ahead of me an my wife this past weekend in the pass.

We followed it to an old mine cave in, before deciding it may be holding tight.

Found another set of tracks about the size of my hand, also on the trail, some under these some over.