Fly Fusion Forums

Quality Lake Fisheries Survey

Guys/Gals,

Here is your opportunity to have input into the Quality lake policy. The policy is a direct result of a letter I wrote to the Minister asking him/his department to develop a policy for an increase in lakes where we can catch a fish exceeding 2 lbs. So far the policy has been through several revisions with input from a bunch of folks. Here is a chance for you to help.

regards,

Don

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fishing/...routsurvey.aspx

Don

Thanks for bringing this up and all your hard work. Took the survey (only eight questions and very easy) everyone on this board should log on and take 5 minutes to make a difference. Maybe we all could actually be able to go to a lake close to home and have a chance to catch @ release a fish of a lifetime.

Russ C

Guys/Gals,

The policy is a direct result of a letter I wrote to the Minister asking him/his department to develop a policy for an increase in lakes where we can catch a fish exceeding 2 lbs.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Home/Fishing/...routsurvey.aspx

You might be giving yourself a bit more credit than is due but that's o.k........The policy is actually a result of lobbying and letter writing by many people, the visible success of Bullshead, Beaver, Ironside and soon Police, several Roundtable meetings and finally the realization by SRD that anglers deserve more choice.......No matter who's to "blame" the key now is to have as many people as possible voice their opinions on the new policy and hopefully move to more quality fisheries throughout the province............

Nice to see that letters, round table discussions, and other avenues are keeping these lakes at the forefront of management. Glad this never turned out to a 'one and done' idea. Fill out the survey as data is a great piece of equipment to have when looking at the viability of these lakes.

ADC,

You might just be right. Who knows who wrote who and when. But what is clear, from the first draft to the second, nearly all the changes were a result of the folks who I wrote and asked for comment that were forwarded along. This resulted in the nearly complete rewirte to the poilcy statement. Curiously, of the nearly 50 people I contacted, only about a dozen responded to me or to Dave. Dave Christensen made mention of the number @ the last Roundtable. This, of course, flies in the face of the dozens or perhaps hundreds of folks that have parked their butts on my truck tailgate lamenting on the piss poor lake fishing we have. Guess talk is cheap, doing takes some effort.

The first letter sent on the Quality issue to the regional Bio. about 5 years ago. The letter to the Minister, maybe 1 1/2 years ago.

Today, was @ the first in Alberta Low elevation Lake [located near Rocky Mtn Hse.] that is C&R. Landed 6 over 3 lbs.

Am off to the second low elevation C&R Lake [also located near Rocky Mtn. Hse] September 10 to do a lake sampling along with a dozen others. Lake sampling is required to determine growth rates. This could of course be done by netting but that would seem to be silly on a low stocking #'s C&R water.

This above sampling is a mirror of the sampling @ the First C&R lake in Alberta done earlier this year.

regards,

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
ADC,

You might just be right. Who knows who wrote who and when. But what is clear, from the first draft to the second, nearly all the changes were a result of the folks who I wrote and asked for comment that were forwarded along. This resulted in the nearly complete rewirte to the poilcy statement. Curiously, of the nearly 50 people I contacted, only about a dozen responded to me or to Dave. Dave Christensen made mention of the number @ the last Roundtable. This, of course, flies in the face of the dozens or perhaps hundreds of folks that have parked their butts on my truck tailgate lamenting on the piss poor lake fishing we have. Guess talk is cheap, doing takes some effort.

The first letter sent on the Quality issue to the regional Bio. about 5 years ago. The letter to the Minister, maybe 1 1/2 years ago.

Today, was @ the first in Alberta Low elevation Lake [located near Rocky Mtn Hse.] that is C&R. Landed 6 over 3 lbs.

Am off to the second low elevation C&R Lake [also located near Rocky Mtn. Hse] September 10 to do a lake sampling along with a dozen others. Lake sampling is required to determine growth rates. This could of course be done by netting but that would seem to be silly on a low stocking #'s C&R water.

This above sampling is a mirror of the sampling @ the First C&R lake in Alberta done earlier this year.

regards,

Don

Just got back into town and filled in the survey. My only request is that the government make the size 1 over 22 inch at a minimum. Also only during Sept and Oct. If we truly are looking to improve the sport...how about keeping them around a little longer. I would rather them die then caught and killed to early.

Cheers

Sun