Fly Fusion Forums

Bug Spray

reevesr1

How about THIS scary stuff? ..

... the alkaloid toxin, 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine. It has a human oral toxicity of about 190 mg/kg of body weight and is much more toxic than many common pesticides. The material data safety sheet (MSDS) states that this toxin is “Harmful if swallowed.” Obviously something we would want to avoid.

Toxic if inhaled, absorbed through skin and if swallowed.Material may be irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.Overexposure by ingestion may result in nervousness, tremors, and insomnia, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, incoordination, slowed reaction time, slurred speech, giddiness, and unconsciousness. Avoid contact with eyes. Affects central nervous system and heart. Conditions aggravated/target organs:Central nervous system. Persons with pre-existing eye, skin, or respiratory disorders are more susceptible.

Harmful if swallowed.” Most of us consume 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine every day in cola drinks, tea and coffee. This toxin is caffeine and it is consumed by about 90 percent of our population. A moderate coffee drinker consumes a lethal dose of caffeine about every two months or so. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I want to share my opinion. I personally don't use bug spray, Just because I don't want that *hit on my line or in my mouth, and I sure as hell don't want it on my smokes. I don't want it in the river either. If I was to use it I'd defenitely give my hands a good scrubbin' afterwards, like what you should do when you touch most chemicals out there. I got bit about 4 times this year so far, but it doesn't bother me at all. As for west nile, it's like most other types of viruses......weak immune system or very old people or perhaps kids will be the most affected, so I'm not worried about it too much. Besides, you'll be immune to it after you get it the first time anyways. It's kinda ironic how I won't put on bugspray because the chemicals yet I'll have around 8 cigarettes per day maybe more. :huh:

• 6 years later...

Being a MB boy, I grew up using the same high test deet that lots of you guys use(d). I thought that I would revive this thread that i found through the search given that I was eaten alive last night, deet destroys your gear, and my pregnant wife doesn't want to use deet,

I've heard a few people say that bounce sheets are effective mosquito repellent.. Has anyone ever tried bounce sheets?