Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Sunglasses

Howdy, i think i'm the champ of buying 2-25 dollar sunglasses or cheap flea market sunglasses or crap gas station sunglasses and so on and so on.. what does everbody wear? do good polarized really make that much of a difference? how much does everbody spend on there sunglasses? and where is a good place to go for sunglasses? the walmart rappalas are good for polar but they make me look like Baywatch haaselhoff? tight lines and full bongs the WJ

im the same way... but i cant make a pair of sunglasses last more then 3 months without being scratched to *hit or lost.

right now im also rockin the rapala shades. pretty chessy glasses but they do the trick.

mec carrys some cheaper polarised shades that are a little less ugly.

may want to check them out.

btw the full bongs part is awsome, you should come fishing with us!

Guest RedWiggler

Maui Jims have some sweet polarized lens in them, they are lttle more than $25.00 though. If you go to Fishtales Dave brought in a line of polarized sunglasses last year, I dont have any but have tried them all on,They look good and are of high quality Im not sure what brand they are but I do know they are good glasses(again more than $25), personally I have always worn Oakleys......not polarized but I have about 8 pairs so just bounce around between them. Its like using Ping's once a Ping guy always a Ping guy. :fishing:

Maui Jims have some sweet polarized lens in them, they are lttle more than $25.00 though.

i have owned a pair of Maui Jims for 7 yrs, there we not cheap but they double as my everyday [and i do mean everyday] sunglasses and i tend to take really good care of them. i think that's waht fishtales brought in. amortized over the past 7 yrs they were worth every penny. i love them but want to get a pr. of amber lens ones now as my grey lenses don't do as well in lower light. i checked out some oakley's that were really good and much less $$.

I use a pair of Oakley Half Jackets. The lenses pop out easily so I have a pair of grey ones I use for bright days and yellow ones for low light. The other good thing is that if you scratch up the lenses you can just replace them instead of buying a whole new pair. They're >$200 a pair though and replacement lenses are $100, so if you lose sunglasses or scratch them often this isn't the way to go. Oakley also has a fishing-specific line of sunglasses/lenses, but I haven't seen them in any stores around town.

Guest RedWiggler
i have owned a pair of Maui Jims for 7 yrs, there we not cheap but they double as my everyday [and i do mean everyday] sunglasses and i tend to take really good care of them. i think that's waht fishtales brought in. amortized over the past 7 yrs they were worth every penny. i love them but want to get a pr. of amber lens ones now as my grey lenses don't do as well in lower light. i checked out some oakley's that were really good and much less $$.

The Amber lens in the Maui's is my favorite.

I have the rose Maui Jim lens... love them though I'm wary of the plastic frames/arms.

Excellent contrast!!

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...ogy.html_4__N_N

Costa del Mars are supposed to be good for fishing too.

http://www.costadelmar.com/

http://www.kaenon.com/home.cfm

Another high quality lens

Ocean Waves

http://www.oceanwaves.com/index.asp

You only have 2 eyes... and you really do need both. Get the best lenses and protection you can afford.

I have a pair of H3O's... they don't compare to the MJs. My last pair were Bolles, good but not as good as the Bolles.

Howdy, just got back from the mall, went to the sunglasses stores and the seriously cute blond girl in her full summer gear that knows absoulutely nothing. Even thought it was really fun talking to here, she was not the smart one kept giving me non polarized shape to try on as polarized, but god bless here mini skirt and low top... Questions: i think i need some with some kind of knowledge, is the better stores than the mall? is mec good or should i go to a fishing/sports store?

Bigbadbrent i have been fishing for all my life, fly fishing for 2 years and tying for 5, i not the best, but getting lot's better if that is okay we will hook up and i will bring the HEMPSTAR..supergood...tight lines and full bongs the WJ

Anyone tried these yet:

http://oakley.ca/pd/5717/19857

I've got a pair of oakley monster dogs which are very similar to them, and I love it. Buy them in the US though, they're a ripoff here.

Excellent bang for the buck fishing sunglasses: polarized Rapalas from WalMart for $17. They are my backup sunglasses and have worked well for me.

Where can you get presciption wrap arounds in calgary.I got a pair from lens crafters last year and i had get them to heat them up and bend them more because they didn't "wrap around" enough and now one lens pops out a bit and drives me nuts.I agree polorized amber is the way to go.

Oakley Eye Jackets. I ordered mine directly from Oakley, originally they had black Iridium lenses non polarized and I paid $180 for them. I broke them and sent them back for a replacement pair and they sent me polarized ones by mistake. Best polarized glasses I ever had and I'm glad they f___ed up.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

My most recent pair gave up the ghost a couple weeks back. I noticed a few guys mention the $17 Rapala's at Walmart, so I went to check it out. I saw them there, but ended up coming home with a pair of Berkley's for SEVEN bucks. LOL. I'll let you guys know how long these ones last... and if they even work. :)

Bump.

My most recent pair gave up the ghost a couple weeks back. I noticed a few guys mention the $17 Rapala's at Walmart, so I went to check it out. I saw them there, but ended up coming home with a pair of Berkley's for SEVEN bucks. LOL. I'll let you guys know how long these ones last... and if they even work. :)

i accidentaly left my maui jims at home last week, i ran in to walmart and bought the same pair in amber. you cant compare $7 glasses to $375 glasses but they did the trick for the day. the berkleys were more comfortable than i expected but scratched within a few minutes.