Fly Fusion Forums

Tomorrow Early Morning Fish

Dwalks

Hey everyone, I am going out tomorrow morning, Now I am not asking for your spots but maybe some suggestions on a creek or small stream around calgary to fish. I would like something with the chance of some action. I fully understand if no one responds but My thoughts are priddas creek or Sibbal. So any advice would help I would prefer to stay pretty close to calgary but not the Bow

Thanks fellows and gals

Dustan

You should check out the Elbow River west of Calgary. It crosses Hwy 8 and 22, and also flows by Bragg Creek. All that water is within 30 minutes of Calgary and can be pretty good. Just make sure you're the first car there and you'll maximize your chances of having a good day.

So we went out to the elbow yesterday and got there around 7 am fished our way back to Bragg Creek. Neither of us caught a fish or even had a bite and we are both becoming fed up with fly fishing. This is what bugs me I went out last year in about Aug - Oct and just was happy to be on the river, loving the feeling of the river washing past me and looking at the beauty on the banks here in our own city I would go to the same spot just down off deerfoot south of the bridge by the driving range just after the bow bottom turn off. I park at the driving range and walk straight in there. To date I have hooked 10 fish and Caught 1 which is good enough I am happy with that but I have been out a ton of times with nothing and had no action at all. Yesterday changed it from enjoying the beauty to frustration I can enjoy the beauty with out getting up early and putting on all the gear. I would like to have some action while I am out there and i understand that not everytime you go out will there be but I know it isnt that the fish aren't there they just dont like what I am doing.

My Problem Areas:

My water reading is weak?

I dont have the money to drop on another reel and line so I can't have a stinking line and a floating, I am set up with floating line.

I am super happy with my casting I can place it pretty much where ever I want, I just dont know where I should place it?

I have no clue how to nymph. My flying ant has got me the most action.

So someone please help me. I need good to the point advice (please do not suggest books, to the point works alot better for me)

Help me enjoy this what could be a very wonderful sport.

Second year turned back into to a frist timer

Dustan

My water reading is weak?

Get out with someone else from the board or hire a guide like Max to help you with this. Also learn a little about trout behaviour and some entomology to figure out which fly to use when, the proper presentation, and where the fish are likely to be. I know you don't want books, but there's a good dvd from Scientific Anglers on reading water as well.

I dont have the money to drop on another reel and line so I can't have a stinking line and a floating, I am set up with floating line.

Not quite as good as a sinking line, but you could try sinking polyleaders or just getting a length of T-8 or something. I think Troutfitters will build a sink tip kit for you if you ask (and pay of course). I usually only use sinking lines for fishing streamers, though. Floating line and some weighted nymphs or split shot is all you need to nymph around here.

I am super happy with my casting I can place it pretty much where ever I want, I just dont know where I should place it?

Once you figure out how to read water properly you'll know where to place it. Also remember to mend your line as necessary after the cast.

I have no clue how to nymph. My flying ant has got me the most action.

Again, get out with someone from the board willing to teach you to nymph, or hire a guide who's willing to give you some pointers.

There is a post called "New to the Bow-Need Help" in General Chat back in may or june. I'd link it, but can't figure it out on the bberry. There is a discussion on nymphing, among other things. Also SJW has a Nymphing primer that is really good.

Look for blue water. Concentrate on drop-offs and edges where shallow water transitions into deeper water. These areas can provide a constant food supply and shelter. Take the time to sit on the bank and pick the pockets where you see the colour change from light to darker. It does not take a very large pocket to hold fish. Start with working the shallow water and work into the deeper.

The elbow around Bragg Creek is poor water - not enough structure. There are some decent holes but they are few and far between.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be tough goin in the begginning man but my suggestions would be to you this:

Save up a bit and hire a guide for the day and do a south bow float or something along those lines. You will learn more in a day then you can even take in, and just ask questions of whoever you hire. They will show you how to get into some big fish.

Or if that is to expensive then look for an intermediate flyfishing school offered locally, I know there is quite a few shops that offer them. These courses are for guys and gals that have a decent cast but just really need to learn how to read the water, what to use when and so on. You dont need the best most expensive equipment to catch fish, you just need to know good presentation and where to present. Also I can honestly say I haven't used a sinking line in years.

And if you just want to get into some fish and just have a terrific day of fun, head up the FTR(Forestry Trunk Road) or HWY 40 as it is also called in these parts, and anywhere North of Fallentimber Creek is going to give you a great day of fishing. They may not be huge, but they do love to eat just about anything that comes there way.

Good luck my man, stick with it!

Here are some tips I learned about fishing the bow.

Here are some tips for you self learners.

1. Get a 9ft 1X leader. Put a strike indicator on the top where your leader attaches to your fly line. Tie one one San Juan Worm on the end. To the shank of the hook tie on another nymph about 12 to 18 inches with 1X tippet. I usually start with an evil weevil or prince.

2. Cast upstream at a 45 degree angle and mend your line according to the current. (Key is to make it float along as if it were not attached to a line NO DRAG). Let it swing all the way down past you until it is straight beside you. Give it 2 strips of fly line about 3 inch grabs before lifting it for your next cast. (You'd be surprised how many strikes happen here, I miss plenty)

3. Make sure your bouncing along bottom (this is key). I like to add split shot (the ones that are not removable and small). Set your hook when you see suspicious activity on your strike indicator (EVERY TIME i'm terrible but getting better at this)

4.Make your own grid system for casting. Cast one spot 3 to 5 times. If nothing, cast a bit further until you are sure there are no fish here. If nothing, move downstream or upstream about 10 feet and try the same thing again. (I like to vary my depths as well by wading deeper and deeper each time).

This should catch you at least 1 fish and help you on your way to nymphing the Bow River or any large river.

I am certainly no expert but this is the way I learned how to catch fish on the bigger rivers. This is with a lot of help from the Boards. If you have the money hire a guide to help you out the information is priceless.

This is all i know as a fisherman.

Here are some tips I learned about fishing the bow.

Here are some tips for you self learners.

1. Get a 9ft 1X leader. Put a strike indicator on the top where your leader attaches to your fly line. Tie one one San Juan Worm on the end. To the shank of the hook tie on another nymph about 12 to 18 inches with 1X tippet. I usually start with an evil weevil or prince.

2. Cast upstream at a 45 degree angle and mend your line according to the current. (Key is to make it float along as if it were not attached to a line NO DRAG). Let it swing all the way down past you until it is straight beside you. Give it 2 strips of fly line about 3 inch grabs before lifting it for your next cast. (You'd be surprised how many strikes happen here, I miss plenty)

3. Make sure your bouncing along bottom (this is key). I like to add split shot (the ones that are not removable and small). Set your hook when you see suspicious activity on your strike indicator (EVERY TIME i'm terrible but getting better at this)

4.Make your own grid system for casting. Cast one spot 3 to 5 times. If nothing, cast a bit further until you are sure there are no fish here. If nothing, move downstream or upstream about 10 feet and try the same thing again. (I like to vary my depths as well by wading deeper and deeper each time).

This should catch you at least 1 fish and help you on your way to nymphing the Bow River or any large river.

I am certainly no expert but this is the way I learned how to catch fish on the bigger rivers. This is with a lot of help from the Boards. If you have the money hire a guide to help you out the information is priceless.

This is all i know as a fisherman.

I am a begginer and am trying everything I can to learn this sport, and I am loving it as I do.

I had an opportunity to head out to the Bow before work this morning, and in doing so, I had a limited amount of time to actually fish, so I said that I wouldn't change things up and stick to one method. Nymphing. I did basically what you said, here, but I used a Golden Stone with an SJW on the shank. At first, I wasn't getting anything, so I decided to move down stream and let my rig drift as I did so. And I'll be damned if I didn't get a strike while I was walking down! Of course, I couldn't get the hook set. I must have the same issues as you regarding this, but I am also a beginner, so you should be hooking more than me. Anyway, I did this a few times, had a few more strikes, or what I think were strikes anyway and loved every minute of it.

I can't wait to get out there again.

Only once in a while. If its constant you are too deep. Take off an inch at a time til you get it right. I set it on anything. Maxwell is really good at it. I'm usually lookin around at something else when i get a hit. When I used to smoke i'd get hits almost 80% of the time i was lighting up.

darrin you dont want it draging bottom or your not getting a natural drag free float.

you want it to tap every once in a while. but not to be slowed down.

always mess with the legnth of your rig.

if you see it slow dip or anything set the hook

but try and keep your hook set small enough that if its not a fish you can continue the drift.

Yah nymphing can be a funny business. It all comes down to the fact that a trout won't expend more energy trying to eat something than it will gain back by eating it. Knowing that, when a small nymph pattern like a beads head or the such comes casually over a big ole trouts lie, that trout will have a tendency just to sip it in, not hit it voraciously, thus maybe only showing a slight shiver on your indicator. The key is to watch that indicator like a hawk. Good luck!

but try and keep your hook set small enough that if its not a fish you can continue the drift.

This is my problem.. I rarely am able to continue my drifts if it isn't a fish.. well.. with my "Bow River hookset" anyways.

Last time I was at Cataract.. I launched the first poor brookie into the trees behind me!! And then I thought.. "oh yeah.. it's Cataract.. not the Bow!" :rolleyes:

This is my problem.. I rarely am able to continue my drifts if it isn't a fish.. well.. with my "Bow River hookset" anyways.

Last time I was at Cataract.. I launched the first poor brookie into the trees behind me!! And then I thought.. "oh yeah.. it's Cataract.. not the Bow!" :rolleyes:

Hahaha...funny to hear that cause it happened to me this last Friday at Cataract. It was actually my first time trying to catch a fish on a dry. So, I stood next to this little pool, rigged a Mayfly to my leader and I put it right on the water just to execute my first cast and right when I pulled back my rod this little brookie just went pass my head and landed on the bushes right behind me and I was like SH@@@t and just ran to catch him and put him back into the river.

Picture from Cataract

post-2176-1219778810.jpg

I was out there again today. And did the same nymph thing. I used a 3x, not a 1x, and used the same gold stone and then a copper john on the shank. Watched the indicator and set with any un-natural movement, and I set one! Don't know what kind of fish it was, judging by the colour of the belly, I would have to say it was a brown. I don't know for sure because the damn knot on the copper john undid. Again. There are now TWO browns in the bow with my hooks in its mouth. He was fitghting a fair bit too. And I even had a net this time......

Also was a great way to test out the new waders and my new Equinox Chest pack ;) Both showed up yesterday. :D

I used the clinch knot. not the super clinch or whatever it is.

Is it possible to wrap/twist the line too many times? Everyone says wrap it five or six, but what if you do extra, like seven or eight? Too much?

Hi, I do a wrap of 8-9 and it works great for me, I was told to wrap it 8-9 times and that's what I'm doing..

Hey Dustin,

I think we all go through the frustration and question whether we know shite all about anything after a few bad days out with no luck.

I've been fishing the elbow quite a bit the past few years and it can be a really tough river. It's made me question whether I have any skills what-so-ever.

Lately I have been having luck fishing dries close to the opposite shore where there is (1) slower water, (2) it's deep and (3) there are either sunken logs or overhanging banks close by for protection.

For nymphs try the tops of runs or the top of where there are drop-offs / shelfs. Not everywhere that looks good will be good and you might have to cover a fair bit of water before you find something that's productive. Even then you'll usually spook the fish after you either land one or miss a couple of hits. And a spot that is productive one night will not show a single fish the next.

I usually cover about 1km in about 2 hours, going from spot to spot. I'll know of about 4 or 5 good places to try in that distance and sit at each one for about 10-15 min before I know if it's going to produce or not.

Tonight I caught 1 brown about 15" and missed 5 other small takes in about 2 hrs out on the elbow close to elbow springs.

2 nights ago I caught 2 browns 17" & 18" in less than 1 hr. 2 of the biggest browns on the elbow for me to date. They were both really fat and fought like crazy. Last fall I caught at 20" plus fat rainbow really close to bragg. I had to chase it down the river and barely landed it before the hook fell out it fought like crazy.

All I can say is don't give up. It can be really rewarding when it finally starts to click. The elbow is definitely a challenge but hopefully this helps a bit.

get back out there!

brew

I used the clinch knot. not the super clinch or whatever it is.

Is it possible to wrap/twist the line too many times? Everyone says wrap it five or six, but what if you do extra, like seven or eight? Too much?

I use the regular clinch knot as well and haven't had one fail. I usually use 4-5 wraps for 3x and 4x tippet. One less wrap for heavier tippet and maybe one extra for lighter stuff. It could be that your tippet material is bad if your knot is good. If you suspect your knot, try practicing it at home. Also if you're using mono, make sure you're lubricating your knots before you tighten them. After I tie the tippet to the bend of the hook I grab the trailing tippet and the tippet tied to the front of the fly and give a couple of little tugs to test it.

Here's a great site for learning to tie fishing knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/usesfishing.p...imatedknots.com

I use the regular clinch knot as well and haven't had one fail. I usually use 4-5 wraps for 3x and 4x tippet. One less wrap for heavier tippet and maybe one extra for lighter stuff. It could be that your tippet material is bad if your knot is good. If you suspect your knot, try practicing it at home. Also if you're using mono, make sure you're lubricating your knots before you tighten them. After I tie the tippet to the bend of the hook I grab the trailing tippet and the tippet tied to the front of the fly and give a couple of little tugs to test it.

Here's a great site for learning to tie fishing knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/usesfishing.p...imatedknots.com

Yeah, I was using a 3x, had four or five wraps. Not sure. Maybe is the line that's breaking and it just LOOKS like the knot came undone. Not sure. Either way, it's annoying...lol I always give it a good tug test to make sure. There were times where the line did break, so I tied it again, and then it didn't. So, maybe the knots are good, but the line/tippet is bad.

I am sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out when I'm "not busy at work". :D