Fly Fusion Forums

Scientific Angler

Hey, just recently picked up some new flyline from Scientific Angler called Shark line, Went out twice with it so far and l have to say l dont think l have seen a better floating line yet. Anyone else pick up this product yet its AWESOME.

Hey, just recently picked up some new flyline from Scientific Angler called Shark line, Went out twice with it so far and l have to say l dont think l have seen a better floating line yet. Anyone else pick up this product yet its AWESOME.

I did not purchase it when replacing my lines this year based on some feedback from a shop that does guiding - they tried using it but replaced it on all thier outfitting gear. They did say it floats well but over time some of the drawbacks became more of an issue.

good to hear another opinion.

I did not purchase it when replacing my lines this year based on some feedback from a shop that does guiding - they tried using it but replaced it on all thier outfitting gear. They did say it floats well but over time some of the drawbacks became more of an issue.

good to hear another opinion.

Thanks for the info Dune, l might have been upsaled, that wouldnt be the first, But havent had a problem yet so fingers crossed,

I got some and I really like it. It floats really well and casts very nicely. I don't even notice the slight zipping noise it creates when hauling. I do like the noise though when you shoot a bunch of line on a cast and it makes a nice purring sound haha

It is really good for roll casting and line pickups because it seems like it barely touching the water and comes off really easily.

It casts a little bit different than the Cortland I had before but once i figured it out I can lay it out longer and straighter now.

My only drawback is that when I am dry fly fishing and the fish swirls at the fly and I set the hook and miss, the fly comes zipping back at me because there is no water surface friction to keep the line in the water lol I think that has more to do with me yanking to hard though haha

I think the biggest issue anyone would have with it is the skin wearing down off their finger from stripping it in... That could be a serious problem if your out every day for 12 hours, otherwise, I think its a good idea for casual fishing.

I have heard the "Zipping'' sound it makes...Sounds kinda cool... As I have fished with a fellow caster that had just purchased some....He said He liked it...But I wonder if that Zipping sound is causing a fair bit more friction on the guides??... and maybe be wearing the guides out faster than Reg. line???...That was the first thing that crossed my mind...

Cheers...Jeff..

it roll cats good and might cast distance a ibt easier but its because the head is mega long..... not teh standard 30+ footer on a 5 wt and 6wt is 50-60 foot head... makes life easeir tahts forsure. but i aint sold on it... have heard the ups adn downs and lets jsut say its the new "flava"

weird that the 'new flava' has most shop owners and employees fishing the fresh and saltwater ones religiously....there is simply no better casting line on the market, the downside of it rubbing down your fingers is a small price to pay for the casting and floatability of the line. It's easy to clean, and doesn't pick up dirt any faster then regular lines (i have 3 that i fish, no complaints in the least)

Casts and floats very well. Noise wan't an issue. My issue is that my 5wt line broke (cut) after my third time using it. The local rep wouldn't warranty it, and the shop offered little help. Replaced it with a Rio Gold from another shop. Very nice, (thanks Max! ;) )

I think the biggest issue anyone would have with it is the skin wearing down off their finger from stripping it in... That could be a serious problem if your out every day for 12 hours, otherwise, I think its a good idea for casual fishing.

I tried one for just one day this past Spring. The line wore a couple of grooves in my finger, and a section of the line turned a nice red colour. I could cast an extra few feet with the line, but the noise bugged the heck out of me.

I think its a good line for for some applications, but not for mine. I got rid of it.

I have heard the "Zipping'' sound it makes...Sounds kinda cool... As I have fished with a fellow caster that had just purchased some....He said He liked it...But I wonder if that Zipping sound is causing a fair bit more friction on the guides??... and maybe be wearing the guides out faster than Reg. line???...That was the first thing that crossed my mind...

Cheers...Jeff..

Negative. It isn't any harder than any other line on the market. Over time ANY line might wear out an agate stripper guide but I would highly doubt it would be in your lifetime or your children's lifetime. The noise the line makes is caused by (correct me if I'm wrong) tiny bumps on the line that create less friction on the water...that's why it floats as well as it does....there is actually less surface area touching the water than with other lines. It applies to the guides as well...less surface area touching the guides equals less friction.

I don't own it and probably never will. I'll stick with Cortland and Rio and save myself about 40-60 bucks when I buy line. It's not going to help me shoot line down to my backing any better than another line would....when do you really ever need to do that anyways?

James

Guest Dennis59

I've got the Sharkskin and like it very much. Casts very smooth and lays out nice and straight. Very little kinking. It is a bit noisy, espeacially when fishing a quite mountian stream. That to me is the only real drawback other than the $100. price tag.

Got mine at a silent auction.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

NLFT&F

Was given a demo sharkskin line last year. Love it on the 5 wt floats super high resulting in an easier time picking more line off the water. The sound of it is awesome, it actually will help your casting just by listening to it, if you get your double haul timed perfect it is the sweetest sounds.

Took an eight wt line salt water fishing this spring and took it off as soon as I got home. When I was a teenager I was a welders helper in the summer and got cut bad by a grinder once, having sharkskin slice my finger while a fish is doing 30 miles a hour feels the same way as the grinder did.

I have SharkSkin in a 5wt, do not like it. It is "ok", however for my applications I've found a GPX to be more suited. Gpx will turn over a nymph rig easier than SS because of the shorter heavier front taper. This is my primary usuage of my 5wt. SS is a touch better for laying down dries.

Two additional points, the noise is "neat" for the first week & any new line "floats high"...my 2 cents...

Regards

Dean

Guest Sundancefisher
I have SharkSkin in a 5wt, do not like it. It is "ok", however for my applications I've found a GPX to be more suited. Gpx will turn over a nymph rig easier than SS beacuase of the shorter heavier front taper. This is my primary usuage of my 5wt. SS is a touch better for laying down dries.

Two additional points, the noise is "neat" for the first week & any new line "floats high"...my 2 cents...

Regards

Dean

Is there any concern with excess wear on the rod guides with this type of line?

were there is noise tehre is friction.... that was my number on concern with this product... glad dino figured out the downside too a longer taper! my second concern and problem with the line... people argue it dosnt wear out teh guides but lets see how it does on em over 4-5 years of continuous usage 100+ days a year.... specially custom builds with ceramics or the bottom ceramic guides on any rod... time will tell

were there is noise tehre is friction.... that was my number on concern with this product...

So when i blow air over an empty pop bottle lid, that noise is friction?

It's vibration that is making noise, not friction. Friction would slow down the line, not speed it up

I have probably fished the SS as much as anyone, certaintly more then most, and i can't find anything wrong with it, and i'll never go back to a GPX, and certainly not the POS rio gold that i fished for all of a day. I'd bet that every shop that carries it also has at least one as a demo....hint, everyone should find out themselves whether they like it not instead of reading an opinion, be it negative or positive, and then make their own decision

thats a different sound all together.. just a observation i suppose... like i said time will tell dude... was also concerend with teh bumps pickin up dirt faster.... whatta ya think bcube.... also dont u htink vibration might be transfering enegry away from teh line pasing through teh guides into teh rod and thus slowing it down? or am i out too lunch...

Friction is the force resisting the relative motion of two surfaces in contact or a surface in contact with a fluid (e.g. air on an aircraft or water in a pipe).

So yes air over the top of a pop can creates noise due to friction, friction creates vibrations in the pop can which we hear as sound. Your both right. Interesting thought max about the line rubbing on the guides it must transfer some energy away from the line to the rod. I wonder if the amount of energy lost is not made up for by the amount of energy conserved on the pick up of the line. Less energy on the back cast vs a little energy lost when shooting.

Guest Sundancefisher

I see the principle is that serrated line has less surface area touching the rod. That means less friction on the rod.

The concern though becomes does that constant serrating line moving over the guides damage them versus a smooth line? It surely must beat the crap out of your fingers if you are not using protection...

Then I suppose serrated line would have less laminar flow over it as it is cast back and forth due to the roughness...not unlike golf balls or sailfish skin.

One then has to look at the price and decide if it is worth the difference in cost.

If you are a golfer...better balls gives to an extra 8 yards on a drive they will change. Would I pay for for 6 extra feet of casting?

Hmmmm....

Probably not.

Sun