Fly Fusion Forums

Muddler

Din

1st two muddler minnows I've tied...My tinsel wrapping is crap but any other suggestions?? Thanks.

For a classic mudder, use something like the barrel of a pen to pack your deer hair back to get a tighter head. Look for finer deer hair, elk work also. Working with tinsel can be tricky. Make sure you start with an even base of thread upon which to build the tinsel body. If the under warps are not perfectly smooth your tinsel will not be smooth. Start it just behind where the head stops, You are aiming for close touching wraps without overlaps. Spiral wrap the tinsel to the rear of the body and back again to the tying in point, wrapping the tinsel in the same direction as the thread.

One of my favorite flies. It can imitate a bait fish stone fly or grasshopper.

Good first job. I simplify my tying life by using gold or silver sparkle braid for the body. It doesn't look as nice as a well executed traditional body, but the fish don't care.

Braid is great for bodies but be sure you weight it, from my own experiences it does tend to trap air for quite a while changing the buoyancy dynamics of the fly.

Din,

They look good. The Muddler was tied to represent the Muddler Minnow or Mad Tom which is a sculpin. It was tied unweighted and therefore the amount of deer hair in the head should be lessor than if it was tied to float. The original I have has a very large head using a small amount of deer hair.

The Muddler was invented by Don Gapen .For the full story, See http://gapen.com/flys.html#Muddler%20Fly.

Don