1. 1. apparel

• Fly Vest
    • Chest pack (with or without backpack)
    • Hip/fanny pack
    • Backpack (without chest)
    • Jacket
    • Other
    • None. Wader pocket & Hat only

Got a William Joseph Exodus pack that has a modular vest and backpack that can be used jointly or separately - I love it! wears like a vest and is cool in summer, but has tons of storage space. Worth a look at if you can find one on sale (got mine at Cabelas in person - ~$90 on sale).

William Joseph Confluence when I'm gone for the day, as I can stuff a rain jacket, spare reel, and a lunch into the backpack.

William Joseph Solo when I'm just gone for a few hours. Both perform admirably and I prefer them both to a vest.

I use a vest but have been looking at switching that up this year. I was in Wholesale today looking at the Fishpond Waterdance and Dragonfly fanny packs. They have like a neck strap thing to hang over your neck, does anyone actually use those? Do they serve a meaningful purpose?

Also they are also called Lumbar packs so I assume you wear them in the back. Is that right? Also for anyone that uses a fanny pack, do you carry a net with you at all? I am thinking that I would have to lose the net if I went with the fanny pack.

Thanks!

Guest JayVee
I use a vest but have been looking at switching that up this year. I was in Wholesale today looking at the Fishpond Waterdance and Dragonfly fanny packs. They have like a neck strap thing to hang over your neck, does anyone actually use those? Do they serve a meaningful purpose?

Also they are also called Lumbar packs so I assume you wear them in the back. Is that right? Also for anyone that uses a fanny pack, do you carry a net with you at all? I am thinking that I would have to lose the net if I went with the fanny pack.

Thanks!

I have last years model of the Waterdance and I have three negative things to say about it. First the neck strap is uncomfortable. It's nicely padded but the material they used feels like sandpaper after a few hours. They could have done a lot better there, I think. Second, the zip-down fly bench is NOT crush proof and you'll soon see the negative side to that - crushed and deformed flies. All my dry flies went in there last year when I started and most of them are probably unuseable now. It might be ok for less delicate flies like nymphs but I much prefer my fly boxes anyway. And last, with only two main compartments, things have to get stacked on top of each other. I don't carry much with me on the Bow but it doesn't take a lot to fill the two compartments. It's frustrating as hell sometimes trying to hunt around for something you need. When the belt is cinched around your waist it's really difficult getting your hand right to the bottom, then you have to worry about pulling something out when exiting. Oh and there's a fourth thing; the mesh bottle holders need to be redesigned. I lose my water bottle countless times a day when I use them, and as previously stated, there's no room in the main compartments for extra storage.

I wear mine down low as a chest pack. The big drawback for me here is that your stripped line has a demonic way of getting wrapped around it somehow at the most inopportune times. I attach the net to the neck strap with a magnetic release. I tried wearing it as a lumbar pack but it was just too uncomfortable because of the bulkiness. So I'll be switching to something else here real soon. Hey you can buy mine of you want!

Hope this helps.

-N-

From September to July and on any rainy day in between, I wear a jacket. In warm months I use my WM Joseph chest pack.

Both the jacket and the pack have D rings in the back of the neck or between the shoulder blades. I attach a magnetic net holder to the D ring and have it handy, but out of the way, to corral a fish. I cannot overemphasize how important it is not to put your magnet on any sort of elastic bungy, especially if the magnet is near your noggin! Pain I seek not! :yoda:

When fishing for steelhead or salmon, I forego the net in favor of unhooking the creature in the water.

Last time we fished in the 'Pass I was happy to have a little poncho in one of the chest pack's pockets for those occasions we'd have a surprise rain and didn't want to hike back to the truck and get the jacket.

• 8 months later...

I use the fishpond wasatch. It's an expedition grade set up and is fairly bulky but very comfortable. I'd like to wear less as I do get hot and love the feel of fishing wearing only a shirt but I always fish alone and tend to find myself miles away from my truck so I pack a moderate amount of survival gear when ever I go- rain jacket, small first aid kit, t.p, energy bars, water (vest is hydration system compatible which is a sweet feature), flare pen with flares, survival blanket. Add all my necessary fishing equipment and I'm packing a fair amount of stuff.

It's a good mix of vest and backpack. It has some neat features like the H2O compatibility, elastic rod holder along side, some water tight zip pockets and is adjustable for fit. On the down side it was a bit pricey, but I figure it was worth it. It's sport specific, I'd be tempted to try a neck lanyard and regular backpack but then you are always digging for your flies and nowhere to hang the wet ones.

I'll likely never use the extra gear I pack, but it gives me peace of mind to know I could make it a night or 2 in an emergency.

Since last year was my first year fly fishing, I wanted to get something a little different than the traditional vest. I did a lot of looking around and really liked the look of the William Joseph stuff. Tried on a few, and ended up with the Equinox. I love it. Plenty of space for all the files that I would need for the day, as well as tools, Entomology Book, spare fly boxes. I gerry rigged a get up for my net. I love the flexibility of it, and there is still room to spare.

Couldn't be happier with my decision.

That equinox pack looks like a neat idea... It's kinda like chest pack but not really at the same time. Are you able to wear it with a coat on for winter fishing?? Would you wear it over or under your coat then?

I have something similar that I originally bought for a daypack in Europe but it is looking like it could be a pretty slick little fly pack now. It's a MEC pod pack (mines all black) and I think i'll take it out next weekend with me, see how it does.

I've been looking at the Equinox as well. Right now I'm using a WIlly J pack and it's great; however, I don't like fishing with it on. I'd like to get into something that I can wear on short trips that is comfortable to wear and isn't too bulky, i.e, doesn't get in the way when fishing. I think the Equinox may fit the bill.

That equinox pack looks like a neat idea... It's kinda like chest pack but not really at the same time. Are you able to wear it with a coat on for winter fishing?? Would you wear it over or under your coat then?

I have something similar that I originally bought for a daypack in Europe but it is looking like it could be a pretty slick little fly pack now. It's a MEC pod pack (mines all black) and I think i'll take it out next weekend with me, see how it does.

I have worn it many times while fishing in the cold. It is really adjustible to fit over layers. I stayed warm, while I still had easy access to my gear.

I've been looking at the Equinox as well. Right now I'm using a WIlly J pack and it's great; however, I don't like fishing with it on. I'd like to get into something that I can wear on short trips that is comfortable to wear and isn't too bulky, i.e, doesn't get in the way when fishing. I think the Equinox may fit the bill.

You'd love the Equinox then. The style alone allows for it to not get in the way during casting, landing, anything. I love the way you store all your flys, tippet, leaders all in the front pack. It's a great set up.

I've got four different packs, all Fish Ponds (best brand out there). In the winter when I only nymph, I'm a minimalist and go with my smallest chest pack. In the summer when I lwant to move between dry, nymph and streamer I take a full vest. If I'm hiking in the mountains again I'm going light....

As for vests, personally, I wouldn't go for any of the vests that have 2 huge pockets in the front.... It makes you look like you have 2 big saggy DDD's. :blink:

I use the Strap vest to cover my man boobs...

post-5-54437-IMGP3500.JPG

Actually I've really liked the Filson Strap Vest for the last few years.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?pr...rentPage=family

I'm also tying to figure out a good way to attach my Mclean's net.

• 2 months later...
I use the Strap vest to cover my man boobs...

post-5-54437-IMGP3500.JPG

Actually I've really liked the Filson Strap Vest for the last few years.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?pr...rentPage=family

I'm also tying to figure out a good way to attach my Mclean's net.

Yur just bragging about your Net... <--poke--<

I use a Back Pac.. I can drop it and fish a section of the river and pic it up later, I have a lanyard, that I attach a single Fly box when I drop the pac..

I carry my survival kit and extra fly boxes and lunch in it and a small Micky of good whiskey..need to find some good cigars to load up on ..