• Fly Vest
    • Chest pack (with or without backpack)
    • Hip/fanny pack
    • Backpack (without chest)
    • Jacket
    • Other
    • None. Wader pocket & Hat only

Poll allows Multiple choices.

Hello. I'm relatively new to fly fishing and I'm wondering whats the most common choices for Fly Vest and apparel. I'm not sure I'm a vest kinda guy, & I don't think I'll be spending a few hundred on a chest/back combo soon, so I still don't have all my 'poop in a group' yet, sort to speak. I lost my net my last outing, and apparently my latest 'bright idea' how to carry it was less then genius.

So, if anyone wants to recommend any setups, to keep things nice and easy, I'm all ears.

How do most of you attach your nets?

I like to keep everything mobile, as do most of you I'd imagine. I learned right away that when wading, its best to leave the tackle boxes and carry along bags at home, or in the truck. Walking back for stuff, or worse, forgetting to, sucks bad.

I think I'd like those 'tool lanyards' (necklace thingy), since I think their perfect. Them and some retractors, are at the top of the checklist for me. I think I was as happy as the next guy when almost everyone stopped wearing those fanny/hip sacks, lol, but I'd think they'd be great on the river.

Any fly vest features that you want to look for, or to avoid at all costs?

On a side note, I picked up some waterproof, over-pants for $15 that are just like track pants with thicker nylon. I used to have a pair before, that I used over my ski pants, back when I snowboarded, to avoid tearing the ski pants up.

Well I'm going to wear them over my waders, unless its scorching out, to help avoid leaks from twigs, flies, sharp crap & Murphy's law. Just a thought, I figure its better to tear or snag my $15 over-pants, then my $100 waders, and their so light I don't even feel them on. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it.

ive always bin diggin a backpack.. wore a vest only for a few years.. latley ive bin loving my opti jacket has more pockets than i no what too do with and if i need a little more room my waders have a few pockets too store some stuff too!

When the whether is cool i like my Gillie Vest with the large back insert. I can pack a day's goodies and a thurmus of coffee nicely in the back. When it's really hot in the summer I carry a creel. Nice and light with enough room for what I need and it also keeps sandwiches and pop cool.

Fanny pack for everyday things, then if I need to, i can always toss more boxes into a backpack (along with a sweater, jacket, etc), or into a jacket/wader pocket. But for day to day fishing, the fanny pack (or smaller chest pack) works well. I wore a vest off and on since I started ffing, but I think I finally found what works best for me. No more sore shoulders after a day, that's for sure.

Nick

Protective pants over the waders for bushwhacking is an interesting idea. My original neoprene waders were shredded when I walked into a tangle of partially overgrown barbed wire along the Highwood. I always wear wool socks over the boot foot of my wader to prevent wear from chaffing and to prevent grit that inevitably gets in from wearing a hole - a lesson from wet feet.

My net is attached to a plastic clip that's attached to a D ring on back of my vest - out of the way and easy to access. The handle hangs down. I just reach back, a quick pull and it's ready to go. Haven't had any problem with it snagging bushes.

I'm a chest pack guy and bought the Fish Pond Shooting Star. Check out their selection at

http://www.fishpondusa.com/packs.cfm

I kind of wished now that I got the Double Haul or High Country as they have a smaller pack on them, but I can easily clip off and use the chest pack on its own. As for vests, personally, I wouldn't go for any of the vests that have 2 huge pockets in the front.... It makes you look like you have 2 big saggy DDD's. :blink:

I have a small net and I attach it to a small loop on the back with 2 small biners.

I put down other because I use abot four different systems for different situations. Backpack in a boat, pockets on the belly boat, vest for spring/fall/winter fishing, shirt and fanny pack for wetwading. Only use the net when I anticipate large hard fighting fish, then I use the same setup as Castus. Which has been a detriment on a couple of occasions. ie WTF is that monster doing in this crick?

I always wear wool socks over the boot foot of my wader to prevent wear from chaffing and to prevent grit that inevitably gets in from wearing a hole - a lesson from wet feet.

Good idea, I wondered about nylons/stockings but then I figured I'd have to buy some to try it. Buying nylons is like buying other, female products for me, I can't help but feel stupid. lol. I have tons of woollies though, and they'll be better, protective wise, anyways.

Partial to vests since I have used them for 20+ years. Bought a new Fish Pond vest. Hope the rain quits so I can try it out this year! Tried the chest packs on but with my old man gut I could not see my boots and realized I would be tripping over things because I could not see my feet. Hang my net from the net with the handle down -never a problem snagging then. Like the idea of socks over the neoprene boots -will try it this summer. It might make getting the boots on easier if the sticky neoprene is covered.

Guest bigbadbrent

i'm all about my Simms Classic Guide vest..has all the pockets in the world, and i use every one of em

i attach my net with a magnetic release, easiest way to just give the thing a tug and its in my hand and scoopin fish..

Arn't fanny packs against some "Man Law" :blink: I started using a backpack a couple of months ago but i toss my vest in it and throw it on when i hit the water. I have the plastic clip that comes off real easy and it's on a long rubber sting so i just let i danggle in the water behind me after i use it the first time.

Unless I'm spending a full long day on the river, I throw a fly box or two in my shirt pockets and use a lanyard to carry clippers, a hone, a tie-fast, some mitten clamps, some gink, and a half dozen spools of tippet. I have the Simms Guide vest but to be honest it's usually overkill. The lanyard-shirt combo is awesome if you're in and out of the boat all day as well.

As Max said, a good jacket should give you ample room and will keep you dry too.

I use all three and in the summer quite possibly all at the same time (with the backpack on the bank).

For my chest packs, I've put a plastic grommet on the neck strap so I can attach my net's carabiner (also use a magnetic keeper). In the "off season" (late fall, winter, early spring) I just use the chest pack and back pack (food, coffee, extra clothes, etc.)

P

I carry my orvis back pack for high mountain lakes or the pontoon boat, my sage fanny pack for a full day on the bow or just my simms G3 vest for shorter trips. No matter were I go or for how long the vest always comes with me, best damn money I ever spent.

My good ol 40 dollar Reddington vest with one broken zipper on the pocket, and what ever I can fit in it...Sometimes my 20 dollar swiss army back pack, if it all don't fit in the vest....Sometimes I even tie my spare rod and tube onto the back pack...

Cheers...Jeff..

Vest. An Orvis shorty that my girlfriend got me for Christmas a few years ago. Holds all my stuff, and I change the fly boxes around as needed. The other stuff like forceps, nippers, sharpener, toilet paper, etc I need pretty well on every trip so why move it all around. That said , I've been thinking about a chest pack for saltwater since you sometimes have wade almost chest deep to reach cohos from the beach. Nets I gave up on a long time ago. Useful for larger fish but a larger pain in the butt than I think they're worth. Strictly my opinion.

I use a vest in the summer and fall but switch to a small chest pack for the winter. I like the smaller pack when I'm wearing alot of clothes and don't want additional bulk...

I use the smallest William Joseph chest pack made (out of production, who'd guess!) forced me to carry just what I need. However I use a fanny/hip pack speying so the line doesn't get tangled and caught on a lot of stuff, in combo with a lanyard for frequently used stuff, thats tucked into the top of my waders so it doesnt swing all about. I use this set up for day long fishing too, you can carry drinks and snacks in the fanny/hip pack and not feel like a 44D cup! The lanyard is great when I go out and know almost certainly what is going to hatch/happen, just a box with tricos, stones,hoppers,streamers etc. I've had a 'D' loop sewn into the strap of the chest pack for a net. I just clip the net to the lanyard when I use it. Far from perfect, but it seems to work.

Poll allows Multiple choices.

Hello. I'm relatively new to fly fishing and I'm wondering whats the most common choices for Fly Vest and apparel. I'm not sure I'm a vest kinda guy, & I don't think I'll be spending a few hundred on a chest/back combo soon, so I still don't have all my 'poop in a group' yet, sort to speak. I lost my net my last outing, and apparently my latest 'bright idea' how to carry it was less then genius.

So, if anyone wants to recommend any setups, to keep things nice and easy, I'm all ears.

How do most of you attach your nets?

I like to keep everything mobile, as do most of you I'd imagine. I learned right away that when wading, its best to leave the tackle boxes and carry along bags at home, or in the truck. Walking back for stuff, or worse, forgetting to, sucks bad.

I think I'd like those 'tool lanyards' (necklace thingy), since I think their perfect. Them and some retractors, are at the top of the checklist for me. I think I was as happy as the next guy when almost everyone stopped wearing those fanny/hip sacks, lol, but I'd think they'd be great on the river.

Any fly vest features that you want to look for, or to avoid at all costs?

On a side note, I picked up some waterproof, over-pants for $15 that are just like track pants with thicker nylon. I used to have a pair before, that I used over my ski pants, back when I snowboarded, to avoid tearing the ski pants up.

Well I'm going to wear them over my waders, unless its scorching out, to help avoid leaks from twigs, flies, sharp crap & Murphy's law. Just a thought, I figure its better to tear or snag my $15 over-pants, then my $100 waders, and their so light I don't even feel them on. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it.

Hi, I had a fly fishing vest, than I found it got in my way, with the extra, extra package I have on my chest....With all my goodies, and the vest pocket, it stuck out to much, Soooo, I now have my landard and a backpack I got made for me it works great!I have a magnet thingy with my net on my backpack, it works for me, Than I only take what I need for the day I'm out fishing.

Thanks