Fly Fusion Forums

Fruits Of Our Labor

Five of us went up to K-country this weekend. Three camped up there and the old guys drove up for the day on Sat. Spent the whole day up on lower K-lake braved snow and rain and got nothing. Headed up to the upper K and managed to pull one in so at least the day wasn't a total loss. 5 guys, 12 hrs of fishing and 1 17 1/2" rainbow. I hope the rest of you guys are having better luck than I am this year.post-2114-1213226243.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
lower K is done for the summer for fly rodders, water is going up up up

almost like i called it...........

soon as the water levels go up, lower k becomes hell to fish

Five of us went up to K-country this weekend. Three camped up there and the old guys drove up for the day on Sat. Spent the whole day up on lower K-lake braved snow and rain and got nothing. Headed up to the upper K and managed to pull one in so at least the day wasn't a total loss. 5 guys, 12 hrs of fishing and 1 17 1/2" rainbow. I hope the rest of you guys are having better luck than I am this year.post-2114-1213226243.jpg

Good on ya for trying...Don't give up on the Lower...There is still a good 3 weeks or so left to get into the biggens....

Cheers...Jeff..

hey dont sweat it dude. .htere tough lakes too fish but not treading on you but that "rainbow" in your picture is a bulltrout.. key features would be its silver has pale yellow-orange spots instead of black spots..... unless that is jstu a chromer bow sorry if it is......

Brent, do you think the weather had anything to do with the poor fishing? It's hard to catch them when they are sitting on the bottom not moving. There is a chance that some people might be able to catch fish there after June 15.

hey dont sweat it dude. .htere tough lakes too fish but not treading on you but that "rainbow" in your picture is a bulltrout.. key features would be its silver has pale yellow-orange spots instead of black spots..... unless that is jstu a chromer bow sorry if it is......

Yeah just a chromer I would have been much happier if it was a bull never caught one before.

Here's a little secret for fishing the lower Lake. Needed is a crib board and a couple of guys. Play crib till the pumps come on. Troll back and forth in the current outlet of the pumps 15 minutes after the time they come on to 1 hour after they shut off. Rest of the time, play crib. Learned 48 years ago. Trout like the mincemeat coming through the pumps.

Haven't tried it in years. Haven't been there since they paved the road. Swore I'd never go back. Kept my word.

Happy trolling,

Don

I was one of the campers up there on this party of 5. We ate really well but fished horribly. I am getting to the point of moving back to BC... I have lived in Calgary for 10 years now, I used to fish A LOT in the lower fraser valley of BC and i caught an awful amount of fish. I just started to fly fish agian this year and I have not found an adequate let alone easy fishery. I guess Winston and I will continue pounding the waters and soon maybe soon I can be graced with 1 just 1 fish over 12."

I'll be back out this week end again hoping to find the elusive alberta trout..... marking off the days on my calender until I head back to BC for a solid fishing weekend on the upper chehalius (sp?) or chilliwack.... october you can't come soon enough

Jay

Jayhad,

Come July, there will be lots of awesome fishing in the foothills from Waterton right up north to Grande Prairie. Pick up Barry Mitchell's "Alberta's Trout Highway" and go wild. Keep at it and you WILL catch something over 12" well before October!

I was one of the campers up there on this party of 5. We ate really well but fished horribly. I am getting to the point of moving back to BC... I have lived in Calgary for 10 years now, I used to fish A LOT in the lower fraser valley of BC and i caught an awful amount of fish. I just started to fly fish agian this year and I have not found an adequate let alone easy fishery. I guess Winston and I will continue pounding the waters and soon maybe soon I can be graced with 1 just 1 fish over 12."

I'll be back out this week end again hoping to find the elusive alberta trout..... marking off the days on my calender until I head back to BC for a solid fishing weekend on the upper chehalius (sp?) or chilliwack.... october you can't come soon enough

Jay

I can equate this to the first time I went out to Vancouver Island and fished for Salmon....the fish were there, however having no experience with Salmon, I didn't do very well....I kept at it and began to catch fish, and now I do quite well....what I am getting to here is don't quit, keep at it and you will eventually catch fish...K Lakes are not the easiest lakes to fish but when you begin to learn its secrets, it will be well worth the time invested...there is some misleading information going on in this thread....no question that when the interlakes system is turned on fishing is better, but even when the water is not flowing, fish can and are "still" caught...check out some of the threads in both Photo Posts and Calgary Stillwaters....the water had risen and the interlakes was turned off when we were last there, but fish were still caught...take beedhead's advice, don't give up!!! In your choice of flies, bigger is not always better when targeting bull trout....by going smaller you will also increase your odds of catching bows and cutts.

We won't be giving up any time soon. I had a wicked year last year with the biggest being a 26" Rainbaow and a 25" Brown that I couldn't get my hands all the way around. Must have caught a good couple hundred fish last year. Just can't seem to find the rhythm this year. Probably the damn cold/wet weather. We'll be heading out to Bullshead this weekend to try and change our luck. A bad day fishing is just about better than well anything.

truly I am not going to give up it is just very discouraging as I have over 100 hours on the bow already this year and have landed one sub 12" rainbow and hooked another. I figure it will turn around for me once we see lower and warmer water.

truly I am not going to give up it is just very discouraging as I have over 100 hours on the bow already this year and have landed one sub 12" rainbow and hooked another. I figure it will turn around for me once we see lower and warmer water.

What ggp and I were getting at....Was dont give up on the Lower Kananaskis Lake...Not on fishing... :lol: ...

diggler and I might be able to meet you guys out at Bullshead this weekend....You guys will have some fun out there... ;)

Cheers...Jeff.. :D ...