Fly Fusion Forums

Campin/fishin Vehicle

Sadly the time has come to replace Princess. With 270,000 kms, shes just starting to cost more than I care to continue paying to keep her runnin, that coupled with rising gas costs.

Princess is a 1995 GMC Safari AWD with Dutch doors at the back. I removed all seats (obviously except for the driver and passenger) so the back is just one giant open space. Safaris and Astrovans are built on the GM/Chev Truck platform so they are tough and have great clearance. Theres a roof rack and I can even slide the pontoon boat right in through the rear hatch. I built a bed frame for the rear that allows for storage of Big Rubbermaid totes under as well as everything from waders, beer, gear, Of course the subwoofer box, blah, blah, you get the picture.

If you dont get the picture,

2494144026_74b78320d3_m.jpg

She's been all the way to Mexico and on Countless fishing/camping trips all over Alberta and BC.

I really love the fact that with the bed system, you can semi-comfortably habitate in the vehicle should the weather turn. Plus No dirty, wet tents to take down.

And the best part, Its really good for the Bearanoia when your sleeping inside a vehicle. zzzzzzzzzz peacefully.

So Im struggling with down sizing, getting something different or replacing her with another and thats where I would like your offerings of testimonials on your favourite Fishing Camping Vehicles.

I have been thinking about a Toyota Tacoma, Subaru Outback or Forester, and Ford Focus Wagon or just getting a newer one of the same.

THanks in advance,

Spencer

I used to have a 3/4 ton Dodge van with a raised roof that I totally camperized. It had everything and was good for year round camping. Big enough to house 4, small enough to get to some secluded spots. It would be expensive for gas now.

Today I have a Safari AWD and a tent trailer. I just wish it had more clearance. Next will be a Tacoma

it hurts to get rid off a vehicle your attached too..sold my 98 ram last spring with about 400,000 k on it .. seemed like the responsible thing to do at the time cause as it was starting to cost me money in "little" things .. she was loud and smelly .. but i loved her..

My wife and I found this Jeep to be pretty versatile. We are able to sleep in the back, when the seats are removed (they always are), we can get into the hard to reach areas, carry a boat without a trailer and makes a weather-proof tent. we called it chateau Cherokee and when it was time to upgrade, we bought the exact same Jeep, just newer.

DSC03233.jpg

Cheers,

Ayr.

I use a chevy venture right now, and it gets the job done but i am thinking next summer might look into one of these

Mitsubishi Delica

post-28-1210904739.jpg

I just bought a Delica this week. It is being shipped to Calgary in the next few days. Can't wait to pimp it out for camping! If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with a guy in Vancouver that imports them and does a great job getting them serivced and complianced.

Hey Guys,

What are the engine options for the Delica's again? I looked at a few when we were on the Island last summer. Very good layout of the vehicle and good features for the outdoorsman, but I remember thinking that the engine may not have the juice for haulin' cargo, like a small trailer etc. What do you guys think?

Ayr.

I just bought a Delica this week. It is being shipped to Calgary in the next few days. Can't wait to pimp it out for camping! If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with a guy in Vancouver that imports them and does a great job getting them serivced and complianced.

Great responses guys, Thanks.

I have been hearing lots of the Delicas lately. Reminds me of my travels through indonesia. every cabby was rockin one. Looks like they would be quite adaptable to my demands. Will have to do some research.

I test drove a ford focus wagon last night. could sleep one, lots of cargo room, sporty to drive around town and great mileage. will probably get that for day trips, solo trips. and keep princess for wife and I, multi day camp trips only.

• 2 years later...

i just got a '09 Taco last spring, the truck has been bullet proof through 40,000K, wanted the the FJ originally - but the wife said no - too ugly ;-) gonna cap the Taco this summer i think, make sure you look at the 6' box if you wanna sleep in it though, a newer one of the same would be a safe bet, but also look at the Nissan Xterra, Ford Explorer/Escape (hybrid options), or just a regular cab truck with an 8' bed and a cap, good luck...