Fly Fusion Forums

Off To South Texas

All this talk of Cuba, Belize, etc. gave me the itch to hunt some trout and reds back home. So I'm off to Texas on June 6 for a week or so to try to scratch that itch. Hopefully I'll get lucky and catch a few days when the surf is right. Otherwise, I'll just blind cast around some reefs I know. I'm really going to try to stick with the fly rod, but know I may have issues not falling back on old tried and true methods. Whatever the case, I'll take lots of pictures. June is a great time to fish down there!! I need me some clousers!

Hey Rick,

Hope you nailed them down there. I forgot to give you the report from Lafitte last month, we nailed the reds and specs all day on the poppin' corks and plastic cochahoes. Lost a big red (for the bayou) playing him out, no fun after 10 minutes on the line but it was a damn good excuse for an Abita! Hope you wore sunscreen, three weeks later and I'm still peeling!

Dan

Hey Rick,

Hope you nailed them down there. I forgot to give you the report from Lafitte last month, we nailed the reds and specs all day on the poppin' corks and plastic cochahoes. Lost a big red (for the bayou) playing him out, no fun after 10 minutes on the line but it was a damn good excuse for an Abita! Hope you wore sunscreen, three weeks later and I'm still peeling!

Dan

Hey Dan,

Not going until next month. I've learned my lesson on the sunscreen many times over.

Did you try the fly rod on the reds or specs?

Nope, too windy and too many people on the boat. We had planned to throw a few gummy minnows and spoon flys but in the 11th hour we had three additionals invite themselves on the boat with us. Didn't see any fish tailing so it might have been a waste anyway.