Fly Fusion Forums

Casting A Two Or More Fly Nymphing Rig

Casting a double/triple nymph rig isn't really casting, it's more like lobbing it out there, especially if you add a corky to the mix.

Keep your false casts to a minimum. If you have to, lay the line down in front of you and pick it up and recast

rather than false cast it.

At the end of your drift, rather than try and cast from downstream to upstream, strip in some line, pick the line up and lob it out in the genereal direction you want to cast, then with one false cast, shoot the rest of the line to where you want to be. Until you get the hang of it, keep your casts on the short side.

Most of the casters who false cast a couple of times and really boom it out there have been doing it for years.

Take small steps and you will get the hang of it. It ain't pretty but nobody else cares what your casts look like.

Hope this helps

BK

I gotta say practice. When I first started casting 2 nymph rigs I would get the biggest tangles and lots of them. Now I get only a few tangles per trip and they seem to be mostly of the easy to undo variety. I probably just horribly jinxed myself.

2 is definately easier than 3 and when it is windy (always blame the wind cause it is the problem ;) ) I will mostly do 2 nymph rigs.

Roll casts with large loops will keep your rig from changing direction (which causes tangles) .. strip line and raise your rod tip until your rig is near the surface, wait half a second for the line to relax and continue with a regular cast, practice this and incorporate a little haul on the forward cast and you will eliminate 90% of your tangles..

I fish an indie, swivel, worm, and two nymphs pretty much exclusively and tangle very little .. one thing to watch for is that your rig does not land across your fly line, if this does happen recast or mend quickly or as your rig sinks it will tangle across your upper hardware .. weather it be your indie, worm or whatever ..

Coming from a guy who tangles lots I have been tought one thing...if you tangle always tell yourself first "its never as bad as it looks". This seems to make taking the tangle out easy. Otherwise I get frustrated and this leads to more tangles. Good luck, you may see me on the river sometime...I'm the one talking to myself while taking the tangle out!

Mike

liek everyone siad open up youtr loops lob it a little mor eand false cast less.. only hting i can really add is u wnat a longer delay on teh backcast too allow the rig too straighten out more too.... wich goes hand and hand with big sloppy loops

Just let the line straighten out behind you, then lob if back out there. Make sure the line straightens all the way or the nymphs will be all loosey goosey in the air and will go forward with little control -the makings of a good mess. Damned few tangles this way if done correctly, even fewer than straight roll casting.

Nick

Use the heaviest tippet you can get away with. Fluorcarbon should eliminate and any fish spooking and it's stiffer. Actually, it's all about stiffness. A stiff tippet is less likely to tangle and when it does larger tippet is easier to untangle.

Chuck and duck!