Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Cleanup

Reading Flyanglers cleanup post got me thinking:

Without Rich (wongrs), who is going to organize this years Bow River Cleanup?

I am certainly available to help with any organizing, but I have a very busy summer planned so I would need significant help, and someone with contacts at all the local shops for prizes and whatnot. I have a few contacts, but need one of you long time Bow boys to help out.

You could just hook up with these guys:

Fish Creek / Bow River Clean-Up

Saturday, May 3, 2008

May 10 in the event of rain

Spring is upon us, the snow has melted, and the litter that accumulated all winter is easy to spot. Litter is especially harmful to wildlife and to the delicate land near Fish Creek and the Bow River; but you can help fix this problem. Join us on Saturday, May 3rd to help sweep the banks of the Bow River and Fish Creek clear of garbage. These clean-up efforts improve the Park's appearance and benefit the wildlife community, especially for those animals and insects who live near wetlands.

This will be a morning event, and for all your effort and hard work you will be treated to a free BBQ generously donated by RBC Dominion Securities.

Time:

Sign-in starts at 10:00 am

Locations:

Area 1:

Shannon Terrace, west end Fish Creek Provincial Park (Access off 130th Ave. and Woodpath Rd. SW)

Area 2: Glennfield (Access off Macleod Tr.)

Area 3 Bow Valley Ranch, east end Fish Creek Provincial Park (Access via Bow Bottom Tr. SE)

Bring: Weather appropriate clothing, gloves, a smile and some friends!

REGISTRATION REQUIRED

Please contact the Friends of Fish Creek at: info@friendsoffishcreek.org or (403)238-3841

I think the more individual events we have the better, I'd like to see a FFC effort later in the season like we did last year. I've been in contact with Rich (wongrs, the organiser last year) and he's going to forward his contact list and whatnot he used last year to help us along.

I'm looking forward to it as well. The only thing that i would suggest is that we dio it a little earlier this year so the park is open till 10. It closing last year at 8 was a real bummer. It would give us more time to chat and hand out. We still had wood left to burn man....thats just wrong :lol: . was a good expirience for my kids as well to learn to help out the enviroment.

I don't want to put the kibosh on any good ideas, but I'm personally not interested in putting this together for another river. Not because I don't think it's a good idea, but from a logistics standpoint. I'd rather keep it close to home. That said, if someone wants to organize for another river, please have at it. They could use it too.

If the bow is being looked after fairly well, perhaps an effort towards andther river like the highwood or elbow would bennefit calgary anglers.

Given the turn out last year in the city..I doubt we'd have good numbers an hour outside the city.. not saying its not a great idea, my 0.02

Given the turn out last year in the city..I doubt we'd have good numbers an hour outside the city.. not saying its not a great idea, my 0.02

I was thinking elbow river in the city... its an absolute mess some times. Should clean up nice with runnoff though, and then dirty up again with the rafters droping their empties in the river.

Never found much trash on the mountain streams... at least where I have been. Tonnes of Sh!t on the elbow and bow...

Or on second thought, fish creek itself? But I never fished it. I heard there aren't any fish in there ;) And probably pretty clean considering a lot of it is in a park.

Nose creek? Pulled a few weird items out of there a while back... Might be a nice project stream?

I have a prize for you, though it would probably take 6 weeks to get there. A local artist created a fish design just for the clean up that he made into wood cut prints and allowed me to use for coffee mugs as well. Since it would require patience to get it, maybe it should be a prize for the first to arrive and the last to leave.

Here's a link to the design. I would donate the mug.

http://www.troutlillystudios.com

I have a prize for you, though it would probably take 6 weeks to get there. A local artist created a fish design just for the clean up that he made into wood cut prints and allowed me to use for coffee mugs as well. Since it would require patience to get it, maybe it should be a prize for the first to arrive and the last to leave.

Here's a link to the design. I would donate the mug.

http://www.troutlillystudios.com

Flyangler,

That would be fantastic. We are at least 6 weeks away. We are trying to get a date pinned down, but right now I would say late July at the earliest (post run-off and Stampede). Do you need me to do anything to get this rolling? PM me.

Aw come on rickr That's when I'll be back in Ontario, any way I can convince you to switch to end of august????

please

Teck

Teck,

Absolutely nothing has been decided yet. We are trying to consolidate our schedules.

Just came back from a bike ride, and am was please to see people cleaning up the city section of the bow, the nose creek, and the canal almost the whole way to chestermere! HUGE amount of cleaning getting done, don't know who they were, but they had logos from www.pitch-in.ca

Good work to those hundreds of volunteers, whoever you are! Its nice that that stuff is off the banks before runoff.

Jonny5

Just came back from a bike ride, and am was please to see people cleaning up the city section of the bow, the nose creek, and the canal almost the whole way to chestermere! HUGE amount of cleaning getting done, don't know who they were, but they had logos from www.pitch-in.ca

Good work to those hundreds of volunteers, whoever you are! Its nice that that stuff is off the banks before runoff.

Jonny5

It was the Friends of Fish Creek Park. I was speaking to them this morning and helping (a very little bit) in between drifts!!

Wanted to know what they were doing with the bags (as I'm one of the organizers for our clean up July 26th and they said the city was collecting the bags (the city won't do it for us!)!

Peter