Fly Fusion Forums

Wtf...? Have We Not Learned?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?P...topnav=&s=1

Maybe I am naive, but I have only ever seen these dudes in Costa Rica, Hawaii, Indonesia, Mexico. There is something wrong about introducing foreing insects into ecosystems. Hey, even aphids do their part in some unforseen way I would assume.

These guys could possibly be one of the coolest creatures out there, super fun to watch. But the whole idea about buying your very own backyard full of praying mantis at Costco is kinda funny, but kinda not. Maybe I should start tying some new Terrestrial patterns for the bow!

Mating occurs in early fall and another egg case will be laid that will hatch the following summer. The egg case is laid as a foam that hardens into a spongy almost indestructible mass, usually laid attached to a shrub, weed, grass, etc., a few feet off the ground. The egg mass survives freezing, thawing, rain and all the elements to hatch in the early summer to start the cycle again.

looks like it would survive the winters.

we also had them in school along with stick bugs.

Well:

I have a simple, perhaps dumb question:

Aren't there laws in place to prevent this, a la similar to border crossing issues? Or, put it differently, surely Costco had to get permission and fill out reams of red-tape paperwork to get approval to sell exotic insects in our country, yes?

Just curious.

Smitty

• 2 weeks later...
Mating occurs in early fall and another egg case will be laid that will hatch the following summer. The egg case is laid as a foam that hardens into a spongy almost indestructible mass, usually laid attached to a shrub, weed, grass, etc., a few feet off the ground. The egg mass survives freezing, thawing, rain and all the elements to hatch in the early summer to start the cycle again.

looks like it would survive the winters.

we also had them in school along with stick bugs.

last year somebody posted pictures of something they were trying to identify that fit this description to a tee .. may have been on the old site not sure ... large clump looked like tapioca ..

EDIT - BINGO!!! FOUND IT

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...795&hl=mass