Fly Fusion Forums

Same Fish?

hydropsyche

I was telling my fishin buddy how you can tell if a fish is the same by the spots. This guy is my lucky charm. He helped me land three of my biggest Browns to date. Each of them one year apart. Well, we were wondering if there was any chance any of the Browns were the same fish as the year before.

This is the brown I caught last spring (sorry about the finger in the gill plate, but as you will see, it survived). Taped at 25.5 inches.

Brown255YearOneCrop.jpg

This is the 27 in Brown I caught this year.

BigBrown27-1.jpg

Look at the spots. I'm pretty sure its the same fish. Caught 1 year apart and 1.5 inches larger.

Brown255YearOneCloseUp.jpg

BigBrown27-CloseUp.jpg

What are the odds? I can't wait til next year!!

Oh hydro u gill molester. J/K

Yes its the same fish.

By the magic of photoshop (stretching the smaller fish and rotating so parallel...

post-1890-1208839219.jpg

Over colour the dots on the one above, copy and paste onto the fish below....exactomondo!

Ok, the last two dots on the tail miss their dots slightly...but that's just the angle being held; if this fish had committed a crime...it'd be doin' time!

It must hate YOU by now, though! :lol:

By the magic of photoshop (stretching the smaller fish and rotating so parallel...

post-1890-1208839219.jpg

Over colour the dots on the one above, copy and paste onto the fish below....exactomondo!

Ok, the last two dots on the tail miss their dots slightly...but that's just the angle being held; if this fish had committed a crime...it'd be doin' time!

Nigel,

Are you supposed to be curing cancer or something!! You have WAY too much time on your hands (or you wife is still back in the UK!!) :P :P

P

sheiiiiit maybe people will start too beilieve a little mor ehwen i say i watched that fish grow up.. not urs but.. yea dude........ it is more htan possible.. have some pets for almost 4 years not......... freakin cool aint it........ that fish knows were its safe too eat(except when ur around) and he will stick with it till death......... i have found cutties n broonies easier too tell apart from teh bows btu i am working on it.. my main reason i thin kteh bows are hard too locate is due too tehre big migration each year. compared too the browns seldomly move out fo there mile they were born.... expecially since teh flood cleaned up teh lower half..... congrats dude! petfish it is!

That is great. You must be a photoshop wizard to throw this together so quick. Do you still have it full sized? I'll send you a PM.

What? Burt? Hate me? Na. He likes me so much he comes to say hello every year.

Same fish or it's twin :) looks healthier in the second pic acctually. Good eye for noticing that.

It was healthy both times, believe me. :P First pict, it was dreary, hence the rain suit. Second pict, it was sunny.

To those who know fish habits more then I, I imagine this fish goes to spawn. Do you think it travels to do that and then comes back to the same spot, or could there be some nice spawning ground near by and therefore didn't have to go far?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeremie

i had the same thing with a campbell river pink in the tape mesurer i let him go as soon as i put my fly into the same spot i got something sluggish and turns out it was the exact same length and then i took it and look were it was hooked before and there was an itty bitty hole right in the same spot as the fly was

• 2 weeks later...

Tight circle. A buddy from the hook and hackle club was showing me a picture of a 26in brown he caught. I recognized he was in the same area so I told him about my "same fish". I sent him my picture and he added his.

I guess "Burt" has more friends then me.

SameBrownTimes3.jpg

ps. I swear it was closer to 27 then 26. One of our tape measures needs checking. :unsure: