Fly Fusion Forums

In An Effort To Please All Forum Members

Over the years on these forums, I have found that there have been many issues regarding the seasons on the Bow River. In an effort to please all board members, I am writing the following letter to Alberta Sustainable Resources. This is only a rough draft and I am looking for further input from forum members to make this letter more effective.

To whom it may concern,

This letter is to inform you of my concerns with the current regulations on the Bow River in Southern Alberta. Through talking with many experts, it appears that fishing at various times of the year is very difficult on the trout population within the river.

Beginning when the new fishing season starts on April 1st, the Rainbows are spawning in various areas throughout the system, leaving them vulnerable to over fishing and poaching as they are on their redds at this time. As summer approaches, the Rainbows begin to feed again, leaving them easy to catch and once again vulnerable.

By the time that this is over, the summer months have brought the river temperatures up to levels that trout have difficulty tolerating. These increased temperatures greatly increase the mortality rates of those that trout that are caught.

As summer comes to and end, the process that occured with the rainbow trout throughout the spring will now repeat itself throughout the fall with the brown trout, leaving them vulnerable until the start of winter.

Throughout the winter months food levels are lower in the river resulting in trout having lower energy levels. When caught, these trout can be fatigued to levels that inhibit recovery.

Based on this evidence, I believe that the most effective way to effectively sustain the trout population of the Bow River and to please the concerned anglers of this river is to close the Bow River to angling entirely. I hope that through this evidence you will see the same.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Dustin Styner

I believe that the most effective way to effectively sustain the trout population of the Bow River and to please the concerned anglers of this river is to close the Bow River to angling entirely

Close the river entirely to angling? What? This is one of the most premium trout fisheries in the world and has been for numerous years. Are you saying close it entirely during rainbow season? What about the browns?

This is going to please us how? Have you mis-written this letter? Answers man answers.

Sorry if this got you overly worked up, it was all as a joke. I've just heard concerns about how different times of the year are hard on the fish and fishing shouldn't be allowed then, so I thought I'd have some fun with it. Don't worry, I do believe it should remain open throughout the year.

I think they should make the river devoid off all trout species by poisoning the river then re-stock the river with Asian Carp, maybe even introduce a heater or two so that the river stays open for further stretches in the winter. Then they could put in a nice boardwalk alongside the river with a few canal boats going up and down.

In a few decades it could look like this:

Boats-Canal-venice.jpg

I agree completely, but for a select few who are willing to pony up $10,000/year in the name of conservation, you will be allowed to gain the status of Fish Population Monitor. FPM's will census the river using traditional angling methods and proudly flaunt the improvement in the fish population and size on boards like this by posting numerous photos. Plan B is that topless thing.

There should be a way to combine Fish Population Monitor and the topless thing. How about all pictures taken in the name of conservation by the Fish Population Monitor must include a topless sunbather in the background? Or foreground. Or whateverground.

Fishpro don't open the next box that arrives in the mail........ or atleast the one thats ticking...... Just kidding

Anyhow you shoulda waited a bit longer before posting that it was a joke...... we coulda had a new jetboat rivaling thread.

Fishpro don't open the next box that arrives in the mail........ or atleast the one thats ticking...... Just kidding

Anyhow you shoulda waited a bit longer before posting that it was a joke...... we coulda had a new jetboat rivaling thread.

No doubt man!! I had to re-read it a couple times to make sure I read what I thought I read! hahaha.

I see topless canoeists quite often up here - great for identifying caddis hatches - just ask them to flap their arms up and down, if hundreds of caddis fly out of their pit fuzzies tie on a EHC and have at er. caution though - the fuzzy black bikini aint no bikini :P - Must be something with the granola crowd - grooming and nudity never seem to go together LOL - man I miss city girlz