Fly Fusion Forums

Split Cane Rods

fishinhogdaddy

My daughter's boyfriend had a split cane rod given to him by his grandfather.

Is there anything that needs to be done before he tests it out? It looks a little dry and may need a little cleaning and needs a metal connector for one of the sections. Where can he find one of these connectors? I know very little about cane rods. How does one tell which weight of line to use with one of these as there is no indication anywhere on the rod, reel or butt section?

FHD

My daughter's boyfriend had a split cane rod given to him by his grandfather.

Is there anything that needs to be done before he tests it out? It looks a little dry and may need a little cleaning and needs a Teh metal metal connector for one of the sections. Where can he find one? I know little about cane rods.

FHD

Cane rods are a breed on their own. Contact Don Anderson here on the board if you need repair work done and a general check. Ferrules should be kept clean and free of corrosion inside (female) and out (male). If a ferrule feels too tight, chances are that it is a little dirty. I use a a little paraffin or soap as lubricant as this will also make the rod easier to take apart at the end of the day. I've fished split cane since I was a boy. PM me know if you have other questions.

cane rods or better known over here as bamboo rods can vary in price big time , you might have a rod thats worth nothing or a rod thats worth up to $8500 , i'd say most are in the very low end but again i have seen guys get lucky with having a rod worth a couple grand

you can tell the maker of your rod if you know alot about bamboo rods from the way it was made , every maker had little things he would do to a rod that was his tell sign ,

i have been collecting and fishing bamboo rods for some time , have over 30 good collectable and useable bamboo rods in my collection , i still fish about 98% of the time with bamboo , even from my drift boat i use 9 and 9 1/2 ft bamboo rods

once you use a good bamboo rod for dry flies there is nothing yet made that comes close to the feel of a nice made bamboo rod the way it loads ,

on your rod , would be best to see pictures , the piece thats missing can be found , no big deal on that , it just depends on who made the rod , no name also not a big thing , for the value it's best to keep it all origanal unless it has to be restored and lots of great builders still doing that , why don't you try to take a few pictures and post them , the handle would be good , i might be able to tell you what you got with one picture

I appreciate the information. The brand of the rod is Sure Strike I think. I don't have the rod with me so I am guessing. May be a cheapie, but as you said, you never know. How do you know what line to use with this? It has a reel that came with it but no indication of what weight it is. Seems to be in decent shape other than the ferrule missing. I will try to get some pics of it this weekend and post.

Thanks for the reply. We appreciate it!

FHD

well thats a starter , i know it's not worth the 8500 , it sounds like a production rod , maybe a heddon , which if in good condition can bring fair money , need to see the or tell me whats written on the side of the rod , it should be near the handle , will have some numbers and some letters , sort of like this 8 4/18 heh g , it's then a 8 ft rod which weighs 4 1/8 and the old letters are for the silk line and it's the old way , i can tell you what it would be in the new aftma

The rod has no markings on it at all. I examined it very closely. It doesn't look like it has been used very much as the the area where the reel goes is still in pristine condition and shows no sign of wear. I will have to learn to post pictures so you may see it. The guides seem a little loose and there are no marrs on the rod itself. It has a couple of areas where you can tell it has been taped together but that's it. Nice condition although could use a cleaning. If the rod has no indication of line weight, how do you tell what to use with it? The handle looks like aluminum (polished) and as I said is in pristine condition.

FHD

I MUST BE LIKE YOU WITH THE PICTURE THING

here's my home email address , send me a couple pictures , if i don't know what it is , i know alot of guys who will know what it is , down in the u.s.a and across the pond , we belong to a bamboo club it's also about classic reels with cane rods

email to dutchflythebow@yahoo.ca

i'll try to help you out