Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Clearwater

Being the indecisive bastid that I am, I'm still deciding on a 4pc 5wt to add to the collection. I want it for backpacking and all purpose use. I'm looking at around the $200 mark for the rod. My fallback position is another Launch, but variety IS the spice of life :D So I'm looking at something different. The only 4pc rods available in PG right now are one TFO 6wt, a 5wt Launch and a couple higher end Sages. Read: Business Opportunity in Prince George!!!!! We need a real flyshop!!!!! So I'm stuck with ordering online.

Anyway, point of post. Anyone familiar with the Orvis Clearwater? Looks to be a decent rod @ the right price

Orvis Clearwater

:wacko:

Being the indecisive bastid that I am, I'm still deciding on a 4pc 5wt to add to the collection. I want it for backpacking and all purpose use. I'm looking at around the $200 mark for the rod. My fallback position is another Launch, but variety IS the spice of life :D So I'm looking at something different. The only 4pc rods available in PG right now are one TFO 6wt, a 5wt Launch and a couple higher end Sages. Read: Business Opportunity in Prince George!!!!! We need a real flyshop!!!!! So I'm stuck with ordering online.

Anyway, point of post. Anyone familiar with the Orvis Clearwater? Looks to be a decent rod @ the right price

Orvis Clearwater

:wacko:

TimW is selling one (I think) on the Trading post. I've purchased from him before and he's stand-up!!

P

My very first rod was a 6# Orvis Clearwater. I used it exclusivly for the next 4 years. It was a great rod. I'm kind of sorry that I gave it to my son a couple of years ago. It was a mid flex 7.5 I think and it really suited my casting style to a "T". I know everyone has a personal favorite make of rod, well the Orvis line is mine and I dont think you can go wrong with the Clearwater. The only thing I dont know for sure is if it is available in a 4 piece. Mine was a 2 piece as the 4 pice rods were fairly new then. I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Murray

Orvis redesigned the Clearwater (they're now a blue blank, if memory serves me) series. I have a 5 wt in the Classic series (deep red/ claret colour blank) and I love it. I matched it with Rio Gold line and performs really well. I've had no problems casting into my backing if I need to.

James

To be honest, I'd try to get a discontinued Sage like a VPS on Ebay. In my opinion the TFO fishes better than the other rods in the price range but I'll bet you could pick something up on Ebay that used to be in the $500 range. You might even be able to score a VT2 or an old RPL+. Just be careful that you don't buy a custom rod (unless that's your thing).

To be honest, I'd try to get a discontinued Sage like a VPS on Ebay. In my opinion the TFO fishes better than the other rods in the price range but I'll bet you could pick something up on Ebay that used to be in the $500 range. You might even be able to score a VT2 or an old RPL+. Just be careful that you don't buy a custom rod (unless that's your thing).

Ebay scares me. I'm looking there, albeit tentatively.

Scott V2 ??? I was (and sortof still am) looking at the A2 a while back. How does the V2 compare to the A2. Sheeite. May as well buy em all!

I bought a 6wt V2 earlier in the year, very similar action to the Launch, If you like one you will like the other. They are discontinued so you should be able to get a good price on one...................got my 4 pc for 185 in NL (NIB), so you should be able to get a much bettre price out your way.

The A2 is a little faster than the V2..........I thinking about the A2 in a 8wt for the Salmon.

I've got the A2 4piece 6wt - I like it alot but if I was to get one again I would get the 5wt - the fast action and strong backbone on the 6wt is a little much for the smaller streams. I've never fished the V2 but am impressed with the A2 enough to recomend you try the V2

I have a Clearwater in a 5 weight Mid-Flex 8'6". I can cast into my backing no problem whereas, I cannot do that with other rods. I have fished it since 2003 and will continue to fish it until it dies. You could fish it for hours on end and never get tired with it. I really appreciate mine.

If you're looking for a packrod, may I suggest the Finesse series (TFO). I have one in a 3 weight 4-piece 8'9" that I fish the small stuff with. Combo'd with an AirFlo line, it casts like a dream...but I don't get much for distance. But like I said, I only use it for the small stuff and only need to cast short distances. I would highly reccomend the Finesse.

Adam.

I've got a clearwater 4 wt. and like it quite a bit. I believe its similar in quality to the TFO, and although I like the way it casts a little better than the TFO, I would recommend getting the TFO for the same price range. The rods are similar enough but I much prefer Temple Fork as a company compared to Orvis.

Whatever you do I would greatly discourage you from purchasing from their website. Unless you want your personal information "rented" (not sold for the record) to "very selective and reputable companies" (anyone and everyone selling anything from embroidered chordoray pants to weird full body silk underwear sets to clear plastic kayaks etc.). After using Orvis's website once I now get roughly 2-3 junk catalogues a month from them and other companies they've "rented my info to". Orvis makes decent gear, but I don't think I'll buy so much as a fly line from them again.

A real fly shop in Prince George? What about Northern Troutfitters haha I went in there over the winter and the guys in there were useless. There is barely anything for rods in there and the guy gave me a 10 min rant on why he hated sharkskin fly line even though he had never cast it or felt it at all lol U ever fish the crooked river system up there?

A real fly shop in Prince George? What about Northern Troutfitters haha I went in there over the winter and the guys in there were useless. There is barely anything for rods in there and the guy gave me a 10 min rant on why he hated sharkskin fly line even though he had never cast it or felt it at all lol U ever fish the crooked river system up there?

I'll bet it was a skinny white kid named Logan. Logy is an expert because he works in a flyshop :lol:

Yes, I have fished the Crooked.

I have a 6wt clearwater, tip flex. not bad but only 4 years old and been broken once, 17" bullshead rainbow. Not to sure, must have been faulty from the factory. It was replaced though with no problems or questions. Only thing is that it took like 2 1/2 months to get it. Also have a sage Fli in a 4 wt. I personaly wpould look at one of these rods. A liitle bit more money but in my opinion worth it.