Fly Fusion Forums

Polarized Sunglasses Suggestions

So I managed to put a big scratch in one of the lenses of clip-on glasses have actually been using them as it only mildly effects my vision but I would really like to replace them. I wear perscription glasses all the time so I am looking at getting either an over glasses solution (typically cheaper but not as good optically) or maybe some perscription sunglasses (much more money but much better optically). I was looking in the Orvis catalog (and thats gonna cost me alot of cash I am sure) and they seem to make perscription lenses for a lot of their frames but they don't ship the prescription ones to canada as far as I can tell. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I usually get polarized prescription glasses (plastic lenses) every time I have my regular prescription renewed. If you recylce your frames, it's not that expensive in the longrun. And yes, you can get prescription polaroids. Terry

I have a pair of the overRx Vistana glasses (They were reviewed in the last fly fusion mag) and I think they are great for fishing with. They really have good coverage of the water. Those overRx don't always look so cool, but they are effective compared to using a clipon pair like I used to.

They have been doing prescription wraps for a couple years now. Oakley and Smith do a mail/internet/phone option, problem is finding a place to fit them for you in Calgary. I got ray bans from lens crafts and they are pretty sweet and the polarization works well too cpst my benifits provider 4 bills though would of paid for em out of pocket if i had to.

I've been buying UVEX from Costco. 4 sets of interchangeable lenses ($55ish). But the quality of the polarization on my last set sucked (cracking/spiderwebbing) so I'm going to be ordering another set of Sundogs. I used to pay $100 for them, but I found them on EBAY for $55 yank! WHOOT! Best glasses ever = SUNDOG

Ive been using Maui Jim's for a couple of years now. They make great glasses. They are light, stick to your head like glue (without giving you a migrain), have multiple choices of lenses, and the polarization is second to none. One drawback, they do scratch relatively easily.

Although I do not presently use prescription glasses, that day is at hand and Maui Jim does prescription lenses. I can't give you a dollar figure but I am sure their prescription lenses are gonna be expensive, as their cheap sunglasses start at around $190.

I'm thinking of purchasing a prescription pair exclusively for fishing because I like mine so much.

Guest bigbadbrent
Action Optics are great. They're made by Smith and are really comfy.

I'll add another checkmark beside AO, thats my current pair..i use to hate wearing shades cause they always ended up hurting, these i can wear all day for weeks in a row, and not notice them

I have a pair of the overRx Vistana glasses (They were reviewed in the last fly fusion mag) and I think they are great for fishing with. They really have good coverage of the water. Those overRx don't always look so cool, but they are effective compared to using a clipon pair like I used to.

I read that review do you know of anywhere locally that sells them? I saw them in cabellas but I would rather try and buy locally.

I read that review do you know of anywhere locally that sells them? I saw them in cabellas but I would rather try and buy locally.

I think the fishin' Hole in Edmonton carries them, so they might be in Bill's FH shop down there in Calgary.

Although I do not presently use prescription glasses, that day is at hand and Maui Jim does prescription lenses. I can't give you a dollar figure but I am sure their prescription lenses are gonna be expensive, as their cheap sunglasses start at around $190.

They will be between $500 and $600. And you can look this cool:

redxi0.jpg

Any excuse to post this picture (again......)

They will be between $500 and $600. And you can look this cool:

Any excuse to post this picture (again......)

for $500-$600 the fishing trip and the fish better come included but yes I have drooled over them before.

Understanding Polarization is a very complicated issue, The best Polarized sunglasses in the world are as advertised "Ocean Waves"..in the $300-$500 range. Here above the 49th we don't have as much to worry about ...Yet!....In the late '90's I was on their Pro Staff and learned a fair bit..but I am no expert. What I did learn is that we need protective wear at all times,especially during full days being on any water system.Here on the Ocean we fish hard during the daylight hours where the sun is at it's most difficult. The reflection off the waters is a greater threat...don't go cheap if you are very serious about long hour fishing adventures. I have seen so many guys that think they have eye protection only to be shown that what they thought were good are actually cheap and not even polarized!OceanWaves uses 5 layers of both glass and film to offer the protection needed. Prescription users are advised to look seriously at these glasses.

We don't sell these but I know what I know...

I need prescription glasses and have tried many of the options. By far the best I have had are my polarized prescription Ray-Bans in copper colour. As much as the Wayfarer brings me back to my youth they are of modern design. I wanted them photo chromatic as well but they couldn't do it. I thought $300 was reasonable. I think I read somewhere there has to be some tint to polarize a lens. If my funds were unlimited I would get another pair in the bright yellow for dusk/dawn and overcast days.

I've been using Bolle (Swiftkick model) for a couple of years now. Love them.

The lenses are interchangable and replaceable for about $40. I paid around $225CDN

and they came with a hard case, the polarized lenses and a set of regular black lenses.

There are 5 or 6 different lenses for them for different conditions.

If you want top notch protection go with glacier goggles. I used glasses similar to the ones shown in the link for years. If it wasn't for them not being available at MEC last year when I needed new polarized glasses I would have bought them again. Nothing beats them for protection, period. Hike across a glacier bowl in the middle of a summer heat wave and you will know why climbers use these types of glasses.

Drawback - you will get pronounced Raccoon eyes and they have a high goof factor to them.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1207946800153

I need prescription glasses and have tried many of the options. By far the best I have had are my polarized prescription Ray-Bans in copper colour. As much as the Wayfarer brings me back to my youth they are of modern design. I wanted them photo chromatic as well but they couldn't do it. I thought $300 was reasonable. I think I read somewhere there has to be some tint to polarize a lens. If my funds were unlimited I would get another pair in the bright yellow for dusk/dawn and overcast days.

There is actually a slightly mirrored lens that is purple/amber...specifically for low light advantages.

I have been using polarized prescription sunglasses for years. I broke my old pair last summer and went to replace them. They wanted $284 for the lenses at the local places around here. I ended up buying a pair of Wayfarer frames from the US on ebay and then sending them to a place in New York state that was charging $84 for lenses. The total cost for the Wayfarer flex frames with prescription polarized lenses was about $200 including shipping.

Check on the internet, there are lots of places that you can get good stuff without paying through the nose.

Regards,

Tim