Fly Fusion Forums

Polarized Sunglasses Suggestions

3-500 per pair at approx 3-4 pair per season....................a little bit too much for me........................gonna stick with the Rapalas at wally world for 16.99

Amen brother, I wear my Raps everywhere. However the Rapalas are the ONLY cheap polarized shades that actualy work, based on the 5 different ones I bought.

I also have a pair of Rapalas, plus a pair of fake polarized Oakleys that I got from Vancouver, and a pair of real Oakley Monster Dogs that I bought from the States ($160 for a pair that costs $250 here). I've been using the Monster Dogs exclusively now, but the Rapalas are great bang for the buck. I find with the Oakleys, my eyes don't hurt after a day of fishing. The other benefit is the great warranty, provided I don't lose them.

One thing about cheap polarized glasses is that sometimes the polarization on the lenses is the wrong way. My wife got a cheap pair and although they were polarized, she could not see into the water. After checking, I realized they were 90 degrees off. They work great if you tilt your head sideways, but that's hard to do all day.

The way to check if the polarization is the wrong way is to put on a good pair of polarized sunglasses (ones you know work), and then look through the ones you're looking at (assuming they are polarized). You shouldn't be able to see through them if both glasses are lined up properly. Rotate the other glasses 90 degrees and if you can see through them, the polarization is the wrong way.

I went and inquired about the Maui Jims and they don't make lenses in my perscription. I am going to try sending my perscription to Ocean waves and see what they say but I am not holding my breath. I think it will be back to polarized perscription lenses for me or the over glasses option.

It seems to me that choosing a pair of polarized sun glasses is a matter of personal preference. Choosing the brand or pair that allows the viewer to "see" into the water. I often wonder if the price tag associated with a particular pair has an influence on what the viewer "sees" or what he/she believes he/she "sees". While I have nothing against the brands mentioned here, my preference is PolarEyes polarized glasses. The lofty price tag associated with them, and other brands like them, may deter some from "seeing" the difference they make. Others not influenced by the price tage will "see" the difference. It is a matter of personal choice.

You know it's kind of funny reading this thread...I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean, in a community of fisherman who spent their entire lives on the water and I can't remember many of them wearing sunglasses very often...Wonder why they never went blind like the Sunglass company's said they could?

Personally I wear $15 welding glasses...shatter proof and everything. Actually, I rarely wear sunglasses...except when I'm brazing in the Toolshop! Hmmmm, maybe I can sell you guys my specail glasses too...say $500 pr...call now! :lol: