Fly Fusion Forums

Toolman

TFO Deer Creek Series Spey Rod 12' 6" - 5/6 wt. 4pc.

Well, at first glance it is a very nice looking rod, with nice hardware and trim. I used an Airflow Delta 6/7 line, with 55' -450 grain head, on a 12 wt. Tioga reel. Comparing this model to the current TFO Spey rod that I own and use, the differences are many and there are improvement in most area's. The tapers are more progressive which gives the rod a lot more sensitivity when casting and fishing. The thing I liked immediately, was the feel at short distances. I did not need 50' of line out of the rod tip to load and cast it accurately. It was as easy casting with 15' of line out of the rod tip, as it was with 55'. The large grain window 350gr.-550gr., accurately reflects the rods abilities. I loaded it up to the 550gr. max. and the rod delivered the power right from the cork and turning over a big rig at 70' was not a problem.

The improved cork grips have a smaller profile, which feels very light and comfortable. They have added extra guides on the tip section and are using larger wire for the guides on section 3.

All in all a very impressive line of Spey Rods and with the pricing starting at around $360 Can. for the 12'6" 5/6wt., to under $400 for a 15' 10wt., at Fish Tales, a bargain.

The designers of the Deer Creek Series, Bob Meisser and Mike Kinney, have done an incredible job with this line of Spey Rods for TFO.

I fished with it for a few hours last night and again this AM and hooked up with around 30 trout, many +20" Browns and a couple in the 24"-25" range. There was not one that I landed, that took more than 30 secs. to have to hand. I really pushed the rod when fighting fish to see how it would react and lost a few bending out smaller hooks and pull outs. Lots of power when you need to turn a big trout around in hurry. The deep flex of the rod is a little more forgiving when using light tippet and fishing with 4x is likely possible.

In conclusion, I would recommend this rod to anyone. It is one sweet deal.

Spey lines are much larger in diameter than normal WF fly lines and a larger reel is necessary. Secondly, Spey Lines are usually longer, with the average bieng around 120'. Lastly, it is important to have enough weight on the reel, to anchor the rod properly during the cast. Too light a reel and weight must be added to the butt or reel to get the right balance.

Ditto that Lorance

Starting to occasonally hit the sweetspot on my Brad Hanson - The shooting capacity is crazy, it rips out line like mad - I love it. Already saving pennies for a 10 wt ( dreams of N Thompson and fat Salmon dancing in my head LOL)

Its funny, I have put in about 6-8 hours of practice still using nothing but a yarn indicator (the wife thinks I am full-on nuts, when I explain that I don't want a fish on the line as it would just mess up my concentration and rhythm)

Ditto that Lorance

Starting to occasonally hit the sweetspot on my Brad Hanson - The shooting capacity is crazy, it rips out line like mad - I love it. Already saving pennies for a 10 wt ( dreams of N Thompson and fat Salmon dancing in my head LOL)

Its funny, I have put in about 6-8 hours of practice still using nothing but a yarn indicator (the wife thinks I am full-on nuts, when I explain that I don't want a fish on the line as it would just mess up my concentration and rhythm)

I hear ya, casting those double handers are an addiction. Talk about reaching out and touching pocket water way out. wow! Love the long reach for high stick bounce and Czech Nynphing. I was swinging emergers last night and did 12 browns. The real joy was last year I had a terralbe case of tennis elbow. My quack said to quit fly fishing for a while. It hasn't returned since using the Spey rod. Much easier on the old Doc arms.

Tying up some Spey type minnow imitations for just after the flood. Took some measurements of flathead fry sizes from last year. Let your know how they work.